Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

effectiveness vs versatility

Go down

effectiveness vs versatility Empty effectiveness vs versatility

Post  Question Mark 2011-12-22, 21:38

I decided that I will be sharing my Ideas and theories about the game as you will be sharing yours with me, either inadvertently or not. This first article is one I have been thinking about for many years and have had much time to think about and perfect. Please enjoy my article.

When considering how to make a deck there many things you need to consider. Every single card needs to be carefully thought about to make a deck that works to its maximum capacity. A single card at the right time can win or lose you a duel. Every card has many different facets to consider as well when adding it to your deck. Today I will be talking about one of those facets and the one I personally consider the most important. This facet is something I like to call versatility versus effectiveness. The idea itself is simple enough; a card will either have effectiveness or versatility. There are obvious exceptions to this rule, but these cards typically reside on a special list called the ban list.

I will now explain the concepts I mean when I say “effectiveness” and “versatility”. For the purpose of this article “effectiveness” will mean the ability for a card to get card advantage, either card advantage or otherwise, over the opponent when used; while versatility will mean the ability for a card to be used in a verity of different situations.

The two cards that I will compare for the illustration of this idea are dark hole and book of moon. These two cards are the best examples for the point I’m trying to make, with dark hole being a very effective card and book of moon being a very versatile card.

Dark hole is a possible + 4, a very appealing advantage. However it isn’t very versatile by comparison. First of all you can’t use it on your opponents turn under normal circumstances since it is a normal spell card. You also wouldn’t want to use it when you had as many or more monsters then your opponent because that would negate its effectiveness entirely. You may still want to use this tactic however because it would allow you to attack directly with any monster you summon after using it, however under normal circumstances it would not be an advisable tactic.

Book of moon, if not THE most versatile card in the game, is one of the most versatile cards in the game. First of all it is a quick play spell so it can be used on either players turn. It can be used in a large number of situations. It can be used to stop an attack, effect, or certain types of summoning. It can also be used defensively to stop certain traps such as bottomless trap hole and mirror force to a certain extent. There are just too many situations that it can be used it. The fall back is that in normal circumstances it is a -1 unless you chained it to a spell or trap.

This theory is what currently gives us out value system for cards in this game. It is the very building block that the game is built off of. Understanding this theory will help you understand your deck better and will ultimately help you make better plays as well. Next time you make your deck remember this theory. I guaranty that you will immediately see a noticeable difference in the quality of your decks.
Question Mark
Question Mark

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum