Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Oppression

+26
boss2033
DarkRiku
.:HadoukenBlue:.
Rooney10
OverlordMMM
{EX} TheVoid
nsanejokr
Twilight Sparkle
LuzCeleste
shonenhikada
plsgiveme500k
Potus-Mat
Ballistixz
mido9
Eliwood
Dart
Phraxure
Tcbskater
3E-hero neos
raidou
Abominable
Arabs N Scarabs
tester12342
Galkin
Pedro_
Badass_Bunny
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Royal Oppression Empty Royal Oppression

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-08, 12:29

Royal Oppression 300px-RoyalOppressionGLD4-EN-GUR-LE

Either player can pay 800 Life Points to negate the Special Summon of a monster(s), and/or an effect that Special Summons a monster(s), and destroy those cards.

So what are the opinions on the card, can it come back? Would it Help or stop the meta?
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Royal Oppression Empty Re: Royal Oppression

Post  Pedro_ 2012-01-08, 12:36

Thats my favorite trap card, last format used in almost all decks.

For me it could came back, with 3 MST and Heavy isn't sooo scary, and its a good card to equilibrate the game.

Pedro_
Pedro_

Birthday : 1996-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Galkin 2012-01-08, 12:36

Would help the anti-meta, that's for sure. However, if your opponent special summons everything he needs, he/she just needs to set this card and you'll most likely not be able to make a comeback.

Galkin

Back to top Go down

Post  tester12342 2012-01-08, 12:45

I wouldn't mind this card coming back if Heavy Storm is semi-limited and Mystical Space Typhoon remains unlimited.

I mean all you need to do is summon everything you need then set this card and your opponent won't be able to do a single thing about it.

tester12342

Back to top Go down

Post  Galkin 2012-01-08, 12:54

Heavy storm will never be semi-limited. If it is, we'll be playing a format without traps.

Galkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Arabs N Scarabs 2012-01-08, 13:02

Yes bring this card back! I love oppression!
Arabs N Scarabs
Arabs N Scarabs

Back to top Go down

Post  Abominable 2012-01-08, 13:42

Put this back at 2 and we'll almost have a semi-decent format.
Abominable
Abominable

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-08, 13:59

Galkin wrote:Would help the anti-meta, that's for sure. However, if your opponent special summons everything he needs, he/she just needs to set this card and you'll most likely not be able to make a comeback.

true
people keep saying its anti meta but i do remember being run on many meta decks to use it just like it, thats why i think it would be good if it stays banned
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-01-08, 14:05

Broken in the right hands, should never leave the list in the current state.

/Thread.
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Birthday : 1995-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Tcbskater 2012-01-08, 14:06

Galkin wrote:Heavy storm will never be semi-limited. If it is, we'll be playing a format without traps.

Except Starlight Road.
Tcbskater
Tcbskater

Birthday : 1994-03-10

http://www.clocktowergaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2012-01-08, 14:20

I want it back.
Phraxure
Phraxure

Birthday : 1997-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Dart 2012-01-08, 14:49

Galkin wrote:Would help the anti-meta, that's for sure. However, if your opponent special summons everything he needs, he/she just needs to set this card and you'll most likely not be able to make a comeback.

I couldn't have said it better, Royal Oppression is more than an anti-meta card. A lot of people say "people cry because they can't spam synchro *trololol*", but that's not the only problem and, in fact, is not the main problem IMO.

Just think, who many of you run into an Agents deck that somehow manages to get a good Synchro and Master Hyperion (which is too cheap to summon in first place) and you say, "Okay, in the next turn I summon this synchro and this one to reverse" and suddenly BAM!, they drop an Archlord Kristya, yeah... no one can special summon now, but who cares, you have to pray for a Dark Hole or a very stupid misplay to reverse that due to the fact that you can't special summon now while he have strong monsters already.

Royal Oppression is exactly the same but cheaper, once your opponent manages to set up things good enough, he can just set a Royal Oppression and block both special summons but he has the set up while you have to reverse it. Sure, you can say MST at 3 and Heavy at 1, but Dark Bribe and Starlight Road are common cards as well, not only that... if you don't get MST, Heavy or your own Dark Bribe/Solemn Judgment quick enough, with special summons blocked it may be too late for you because a good setup needs no more than a few turns to finish you off.
Dart
Dart

Back to top Go down

Post  Eliwood 2012-01-08, 14:52

I remember this card... I think when royal oppression was still unbanned was the only time I didn't use Infernities.

DEATH TO ROYAL OPPRESSION
Eliwood
Eliwood

Birthday : 1992-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  mido9 2012-01-08, 14:59

Dart wrote:

I couldn't have said it better, Royal Oppression is more than an anti-meta card. A lot of people say "people cry because they can't spam synchro *trololol*", but that's not the only problem and, in fact, is not the main problem IMO.

Just think, who many of you run into an Agents deck that somehow manages to get a good Synchro and Master Hyperion (which is too cheap to summon in first place) and you say, "Okay, in the next turn I summon this synchro and this one to reverse" and suddenly BAM!, they drop an Archlord Kristya, yeah... no one can special summon now, but who cares, you have to pray for a Dark Hole or a very stupid misplay to reverse that due to the fact that you can't special summon now while he have strong monsters already.

Royal Oppression is exactly the same but cheaper, once your opponent manages to set up things good enough, he can just set a Royal Oppression and block both special summons but he has the set up while you have to reverse it. Sure, you can say MST at 3 and Heavy at 1, but Dark Bribe and Starlight Road are common cards as well, not only that... if you don't get MST, Heavy or your own Dark Bribe/Solemn Judgment quick enough, with special summons blocked it may be too late for you because a good setup needs no more than a few turns to finish you off.

Dart wins this thread,you can all go talk about pretty ponies now.
mido9
mido9

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballistixz 2012-01-09, 01:18

yes it does. im so sick and tired of ppl swarming the field with monsters first turn then 2nd turn swarm the field with synchros or xyzs. its stupid as shit, especially if he can some how prevent you from special summoning your own chain of monsters with krystias. there has to be a card like royal to keep it in check.

idk why it was banned in the first place. it costed 800 LP for each use so u couldpt spam it all day, and BOTH players could use the effect. its a balanced card.

there are so many decks that rely on swarming the field with broken special summoning effects that can EASILY get high level synchros on first turn or 2nd turn. 3rd turn at the very latest with a shit draw. and at that point you are pretty much hoping for dark holes or something to clear the field of his monsters.

but if royal opression is limited to 2 warnings then warnings and judgement might have to be banned. royal oppresion along with solmens is too much. maybe limit royal to 2, warnings to 1, and ban judgement. or keep judgement and ban warnings.

Last edited by Ballistixz on 2012-01-09, 01:30; edited 1 time in total
Ballistixz
Ballistixz

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-09, 01:27

Ballistixz wrote:yes it does. im so sick and tired of ppl swarming the field with monsters first turn then 2nd turn swarm the field with synchros or xyzs. its stupid as shit, especially if he can some how prevent you from special summoning your own chain of monsters with krystias. there has to be a card like royal to keep it in check.

idk why it was banned in the first place. it costed 800 LP for each use so u couldpt spam it all day, and BOTH players could use the effect. its a balanced card.

You think it's balanced card? I underlined part of your post, now if Royal Oppression would come back people would do the same thing but than they would activate Royal Oppression to kill your every hope of winning.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballistixz 2012-01-09, 01:33

Badass_Bunny wrote:
Ballistixz wrote:yes it does. im so sick and tired of ppl swarming the field with monsters first turn then 2nd turn swarm the field with synchros or xyzs. its stupid as shit, especially if he can some how prevent you from special summoning your own chain of monsters with krystias. there has to be a card like royal to keep it in check.

You think it's balanced card? I underlined part of your post, now if Royal Oppression would come back people would do the same thing but than they would activate Royal Oppression to kill your every hope of winning.

oppression can still be stoped. if its limited to 1 or 2 then the ammount of tyhphoons combined with heavy can easily prevent it. 7 tools would also be good. its not like its a game breaking card especially if limited to just 1.

and if he activates oppression first turn after swarming field then u just dark hole it or vortex it or w/e. if he activates it first turn after swarming and i have 1 or 2 space typhoons in hand first turn then he just wasted his royal.

but the major thing to note here is that even if he swarms first then activates royal, he cant swarm it any further. so all i would have to do is wipe the field of his current monsters and neither of us can special summon till its gone. and its not like u can constantly pay 800 LP all game long. eventually paying that much LP to prevent so many special summons WILL hurt you. so ya the card is balanced.

Last edited by Ballistixz on 2012-01-09, 01:41; edited 1 time in total
Ballistixz
Ballistixz

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2012-01-09, 01:40

Ballistixz wrote:oppression can still be stoped. if its limited to 1 or 2 then the ammount of tyhphoons combined with heavy can easily prevent it. 7 tools would also be good. its not like its a game breaking card especially if limited to just 1.
and if he activates oppression first turn after swarming field then u just dark hole it or vortex it or w/e. if he activates it first turn after swarming and i have 1 or 2 space typhoons in hand first turn then he just wasted his royal.
How many times must this be said: just because a card can be stopped does not mean it is broken. You can Solemn, Warning, Horn, Black Horn, Chaos Trap Hole, Divine Wrath, or Quasar Chaos Emperor Dragon, but is is still the definition of broken.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Birthday : 1994-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballistixz 2012-01-09, 01:46

Potus-Mat wrote:
Ballistixz wrote:oppression can still be stoped. if its limited to 1 or 2 then the ammount of tyhphoons combined with heavy can easily prevent it. 7 tools would also be good. its not like its a game breaking card especially if limited to just 1.
How many times must this be said: just because a card can be stopped does not mean it is broken. You can Solemn, Warning, Horn, Black Horn, Chaos Trap Hole, Divine Wrath, or Quasar Chaos Emperor Dragon, but is is still the definition of broken.

you cant compare royal to those cards.... why even try to compare it to chaos emperor?
Ballistixz
Ballistixz

Back to top Go down

Post  plsgiveme500k 2012-01-09, 01:49

When I see my bro dueling in traditional, my bro use foolish burial to to send level eater to grave, then my bro summon barbaros without tribute, opponent flip royal, every time my bro use level eater effect to reduce barbaros to level to ss itself, his opponent keep negate and negate, make his opponent lose 3200lp for negate level eater, and barbaros lvl4... kinda hilarious, LOL
plsgiveme500k
plsgiveme500k

Birthday : 1994-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2012-01-09, 01:52

Because if your opponent gets CED, you are pretty much dead. If your opponent gets RO and, say, a Number 17 or something, you are pretty much dead.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  shonenhikada 2012-01-09, 01:52

Royal Oppression should be at 1. What's the chances your opponent would consistently have it while your defenseless and have no monsters to protect yourself ?
shonenhikada
shonenhikada

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-09, 01:54

He was proving a point saying that even if something can be stopped doesn't mean it's not overpowered
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2012-01-09, 01:54

shonenhikada wrote:Royal Oppression should be at 1. What's the chances your opponent would consistently have it while your defenseless and have no monsters to protect yourself ?
About the same as your opponent getting CED when you do not have a Solemn face-down.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballistixz 2012-01-09, 01:59

Potus-Mat wrote:Because if your opponent gets CED, you are pretty much dead. If your opponent gets RO and, say, a Number 17 or something, you are pretty much dead.

and if people start to run royal decgrees to cancel out opression? its nothing at all like chaos emperor or crush card or any of those other insanely broken cards
so it really shouldnt be compared.

or what if i manage to kill off any monster he special summoned before royal?

Last edited by Ballistixz on 2012-01-09, 02:03; edited 2 times in total
Ballistixz
Ballistixz

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2012-01-09, 02:01

Ballistixz wrote:
Potus-Mat wrote:Because if your opponent gets CED, you are pretty much dead. If your opponent gets RO and, say, a Number 17 or something, you are pretty much dead.
and if people start to run royal decgrees to cancel out opression?
Potus-Mat wrote:How many times must this be said: just because a card can be stopped does not mean it is broken. You can Solemn, Warning, Horn, Black Horn, Chaos Trap Hole, Divine Wrath, or Quasar Chaos Emperor Dragon, but is is still the definition of broken.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  LuzCeleste 2012-01-09, 02:05

I hate this card soooo much.... I would hate it to come back, it's a joke...

I remember when it was still not banned....

Opponent:

-huge swarm-

-sets this card-

me: T.T

even with 3 MST and Heavy, I would hate to see this come back.
LuzCeleste
LuzCeleste

Birthday : 1990-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ballistixz 2012-01-09, 02:05

Potus-Mat wrote:
Ballistixz wrote:
and if people start to run royal decgrees to cancel out opression?
Potus-Mat wrote:How many times must this be said: just because a card can be stopped does not mean it is broken. You can Solemn, Warning, Horn, Black Horn, Chaos Trap Hole, Divine Wrath, or Quasar Chaos Emperor Dragon, but is is still the definition of broken.

and like i said, you shouldnt compare this card to those broken as shit cards. royal opression is nothing in comparison to most of the cards on the banlist like chaos emperor... for a long time both black hole and black luster were considered "broken" yet they have been removed from the ban list.
Ballistixz
Ballistixz

Back to top Go down

Post  Twilight Sparkle 2012-01-09, 02:09

In My option even at 3 Mst and 1 Heavy Storm
Why would they even unbanned it
SoleJudgement and Solewarning is at 1/2
And there weaker roayls >~>'
-2000 one use
Or -800 each time >~>"?
Twilight Sparkle
Twilight Sparkle

Birthday : 1993-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  nsanejokr 2012-01-09, 02:16

I have a feeling that one day Royal Oppression will be back. I'm not sure if it's even a card I want to come back, but I do feel it's one of those cards that may hop on and off the list.
nsanejokr
nsanejokr

Birthday : 1990-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-09, 02:20

nsanejokr wrote:I have a feeling that one day Royal Oppression will be back. I'm not sure if it's even a card I want to come back, but I do feel it's one of those cards that may hop on and off the list.

I feel the same way, I think it shouldn't come back but somehow I keep thinking it will come back, still I hate the card from bottom of my heart
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  plsgiveme500k 2012-01-09, 02:20

Ok, if Royal Oppression is limited to 1, many people would use it to substitute TKRO, verz opion, vanity fiend, archlord kritsya in their meta deck. If it is splashed in any meta deck, this could back fire to both player because many meta require a lot of special summon.

Pros: 1.) Used greatly in anti meta/meta since dino rabbit/bls/dw/wind up
is plague around the game.
2.) If combo with white dragon ninja that combine with safe zone,
you opponent really can't do anything.
3.) Kill a lot of powerful monster like quasar.
4.) One of the most powerful special summon negation regardless the
monster is special summoned in certain condition.
5.) Broken card can be counter by broken card.

Cons: 1.) MST/Dust tornado can get rid of it.
2.) Trap card are always can be counter by trap stun. royal decree,
jinzo.
3.) Royal oppression is continuos trap card with a quick-like
effect, means that it is spell speed 2 card and can be counter by
seven tool/dark bribe/solemn.
4.) It didn't stop the normal summon of monster.

So the conclusion is...... I don't know lol. Sorry for weak analysis... Embarassed
plsgiveme500k
plsgiveme500k

Birthday : 1994-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2012-01-09, 02:24

Ive been hearing this is going to 1 and Warning is going to 1 next format.
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Birthday : 1992-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-09, 02:25

plsgiveme500k wrote:Ok, if Royal Oppression is limited to 1, many people would use it to substitute TKRO, verz opion, vanity fiend, archlord kritsya in their meta deck. If it is splashed in any meta deck, this could back fire to both player because many meta require a lot of special summon.

jinzo.

So the conclusion is...... I don't know lol. Sorry for weak analysis... Embarassed

Effect of Royal Oppression can't be negated by any of the cards you mentioned.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  LuzCeleste 2012-01-09, 02:27

plsgiveme500k wrote:Ok, if Royal Oppression is limited to 1, many people would use it to substitute TKRO, verz opion, vanity fiend, archlord kritsya in their meta deck. If it is splashed in any meta deck, this could back fire to both player because many meta require a lot of special summon.

jinzo.

pretty sure Oppression can't be negated since it's a continuous effect.
LuzCeleste
LuzCeleste

Birthday : 1990-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2012-01-09, 02:35

The initial activation of it can be negated, otherwise it needs to be negated by a continuous effect.

Royal Oppression at 1-2 could also mean Monarchs could make a comeback, too, thanks to Treeborn Frog.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-09, 03:23

you can chain mst to royal effect or activation so it wont resolve(of course cost still paid)
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-09, 03:31

OverlordMMM wrote:The initial activation of it can be negated, otherwise it needs to be negated by a continuous effect.

Royal Oppression at 1-2 could also mean Monarchs could make a comeback, too, thanks to Treeborn Frog.

Wrong again stardust can negate it also...
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  mido9 2012-01-09, 04:51

+1
mido9
mido9

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2012-01-09, 05:00

I was referring to the traps mentioned, but you are completely right. My mistake.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  Rooney10 2012-01-10, 09:48

this card can back..since now MST 3 and heavy strom 1..this card is awesome.. Very Happy
Rooney10
Rooney10

Birthday : 1995-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post  .:HadoukenBlue:. 2012-01-10, 10:23

Herpaderpa summon bosses -> Flip this -> GG, Round 2.

Nope, shouldn't come back.

Birthday : 1996-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post  mido9 2012-01-10, 14:01

Rooney10 wrote:this card can back..since now MST 3 and heavy strom 1..this card is awesome.. Very Happy

Potus-Mat wrote:How many times must this be said: just because a card can be stopped does not mean it is not broken. You can Solemn, Warning, Horn, Black Horn, Chaos Trap Hole, Divine Wrath, or Quasar Chaos Emperor Dragon, but is is still the definition of broken.

Last edited by mido9 on 2012-01-10, 14:13; edited 1 time in total
mido9
mido9

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2012-01-10, 14:11

.:HadoukenBlue:. wrote:Herpaderpa summon bosses -> Flip this -> GG, Round 2.

Nope, shouldn't come back.

This is the exact reason why I don't want it back even with all the spell/trap destruction around.

A balanced card that is turned into nothing more than a setup.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  boss2033 2012-01-10, 14:40

Dart wrote:

Couldnt have said it any better. It will just unblance the game and really spoil meta decks. Royal oppression + 3 starlight road = noway to win or hope to draw mst out of the 40 cards in ur deck :\
boss2033
boss2033

Birthday : 1990-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-10, 17:04

what do you mean by spoil meta decks?

raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  boss2033 2012-01-10, 17:50

Most meta decks focus on special summoning, and with this card on the field it could ruin the playability of the meta decks.
boss2033
boss2033

Birthday : 1990-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  nsanejokr 2012-01-10, 17:57

boss2033 wrote:Royal oppression + 3 starlight road = noway to win or hope to draw mst out of the 40 cards in ur deck :\

Oppression could negate Road. Huge Revolution Reversal is what you would want.

Also, Oppression wouldn't ruin the playability of Meta decks. It would, instead, turn games into an arms race players of setting up their Special Summon plays with Oppression backing everything up before the opponent can.
nsanejokr
nsanejokr

Birthday : 1990-09-20

Back to top Go down

Royal Oppression Empty Royal Oppression

Post  minervx 2012-02-03, 11:41

While I am against many of the overpowered Special Summoning monster and combos, RO should not be unbanned because it is overpowered.

800 LP is not a very sufficient payment for a -1 to the other player. If it were, we'd be seeing more Ookazi in competitive play.

The problem is that not only is it a -1 to the other player, but they will have to -1 to use a card to destroy it, which is what the user of RO usually counts on.

Lower tier decks rely on Special Summoning as well, and RO shuts them down.

This card was made during an era where monsters were only Special Summoned by 3 commonly used cards, and other than that, summoning was mostly done normally.

While I think there needs to be a counter to excess Special Summoning, RO is too overpowered, especially in this meta.

This would be more fair.

Normal Trap
Pay 800 LP. Negate 1 Special Summon or an effect of a card that Special Summons a card and destroy it. You cannot Special Summon during your next (or next two) turns.

minervx

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2012-02-03, 11:47

Sounds fairer but I think it would be better if:
Pay 800LP. Negate the Special Summon of a monster(s) and destroy it. Neither player can Special Summon until the End Phase of your opponent's next turn.
Phraxure
Phraxure

Birthday : 1997-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next