Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions..

+8
plsgiveme500k
nero77
sagax06
Badass_Bunny
Tcbskater
Phoenix Wright
Twilight Sparkle
lordofpoison
12 posters

Go down

WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions.. Empty WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions..

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-02, 21:38

the question is in the title I don't think I need to repeat it but just for the sake of it i will Very Happy... So why do we have a rating system?? Just wondering it's kinda discrimnitaing sometimes.. E.G. people usually say something like "1300+ or 1000+" true if u duel a high rated player.. You might get somebody good OR sum1 who uses broken decks to achieve their wins.. and let's face it.. not many ppl like broken decks unless both players are using one, also if a new player joins to DN but is a PRO in RL.. while then its kinda unfair for them since a lot of people immedietly assume that person is a noob. True they can be noobs to the site.. but most people who join DN aren't Noobs to the game. So my suggestion is (thoguh not a very problem solved one) is to A. get rid of the rating systems because if you have a rating of let's say 1000.. but you barley have any wins then while..ya OR IF U have a rating of 500 but tons of wins.. nobody would play with you unless it said "500+/-" B. the exp is somewhat involved witht his u only get 1 exp per win and 2 per lossa so lets say rating 800 and exp 180.. some users will think that person has barley won any games.. C. (this might be the bestg case scenario) whene ever someone joins.. in rated or unrated it should say under the users name.. or some where how many wins/losses that person has then the host can pick their best choice easier. (Yes I know some discrmination would still happen but probably a lot LESS then rating) ASIDE from all this.. the duelnotes is not doing much ppl are still restricting in rated it's like when the pop-up comes they just ignore it... heres 2 pics from today (not trying to be a tattletale) but yea https://imgur.com/g0MRI https://imgur.com/UBYli i think we should have duel note admins who skim through the ntoes then give nay players restricting deck types (except OCG.TCG ) a warning if they continure they should be kicked and so on. I had a problem like this today as well but i deleted my pic.. basically the person says no synchs/xyz i come in with samruai synchro deck and he spazzes then calls admin admin then when my opp realized they were wrong they quit. FINALLY SORRY FOR SPELLING ERRORS I DONT OVERCHECK WHAT I TYPE OR BOTHER TO CORRECT THEM lol.

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions.. Empty Re: WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions..

Post  Twilight Sparkle 2012-02-02, 21:59

Your allowed to Restricked Ocg And Tcg
And The Range of Ratting and Rep

Personaly I refuse to play players with low Repuation because 9/10 Times they will quit,

And Ratting is fine but when you restricked decks show it to a mod because there is a huge warning sign when making rooms it would be cheating or boosting, That i do not know what one the mods put it under,
Twilight Sparkle
Twilight Sparkle

Birthday : 1993-10-30

Back to top Go down

WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions.. Empty Re: WHY do we EVEN have rating systems? some suggestions..

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-02, 22:05

i mentioned OCG/TCG near the ending.. but the rating stuff is kinda annoying iv been beaten people who have low reps before.. and they told me they were really good in RL but none on DN accepts them. Also.. I just want to see if any of the ideas i suggested would get approved the wins/losses ones.

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-02-02, 22:14

Why don't you give me the TL,DR version of that wall-o-text
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tcbskater 2012-02-02, 22:51

Rating restrictions are allowed for Rated Games in your duel notes. Deck restrictions aren't.

And I don't see what the big deal is. Rating is just a meaningless number.
Tcbskater
Tcbskater

Birthday : 1994-03-10

http://www.clocktowergaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-02, 22:53

my point exactly... BUT osome people actually do think it means something so they judge players by that not rely a good way to judge imo

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-02-02, 23:24

lordofpoison wrote:my point exactly... BUT osome people actually do think it means something so they judge players by that not rely a good way to judge imo

So?

Rating Exists because people like to compete, there is Unrated section and you can play there all you want with whoever you want and most people won't judge you on your rating.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-03, 09:43

OK but what about my Wins/losses suggestion? (it should be suggestion C before my duel note complaint) is that getting denied or?

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  sagax06 2012-02-03, 10:16

Twilight Sparkle wrote:...
Your allowed to Restricked Ocg And Tcg
And The Range of Ratting and Rep

Personaly I refuse to play players with low Repuation because 9/10 Times they will quit,

And Ratting is fine but when you restricked decks show it to a mod because there is a huge warning sign when making rooms it would be cheating or boosting, That i do not know what one the mods put it under,
its the opposite for me. when i face a higher up 1000+ playing inzectors and i troll them with my fiend deck,they quit righy away. The lower rankings ussually dont lmao. However I do like the rating/rep system. its fine as it is.
sagax06
sagax06

Birthday : 1996-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-02-03, 13:41

Rating is there because to know how good you are.
nero77
nero77

Birthday : 1994-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  plsgiveme500k 2012-02-03, 14:24

Rate = Skill of a player
Rep = Attitude of a player

Dueling with people who have low rate (about less than 300) but high rep (more than 500), you will feel bad when you defeat him easily...

Dueling with people who have high rate (about higher than 1000) but low rep (about less than 100), you will feel mad or happy when seeing your opponent curse you and rage quit...

Dueling with people who have low rate and low rep, you might leave immediately when your opponent start break the gaming rules...

Dueling with people who have high rate and high rep, you might feel satisfied and want a rematch after duel with him...

I guess that explained how rating system work...
plsgiveme500k
plsgiveme500k

Birthday : 1994-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-03, 19:47

nero77 wrote:Rating is there because to know how good you are.
UHH noo...... actually as I said before and the moderator/Admin said RATING is useless u could be a REALLY bad player and have high rep due to easy broken decks like inzektor wind-up. zektor/wind-up (combo of both of them) six sams etc.... EXP isnt very helpful for judging your opp this is why I suggested my wins/losses im wating for admins reply also NERO77 this is froma duel today notice the RATING is near 1000. https://imgur.com/8iBH0 he tryed synching with xyz and fabled raven for lvl 6

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  sagax06 2012-02-03, 21:15

lordofpoison wrote:
nero77 wrote:Rating is there because to know how good you are.
UHH noo...... actually as I said before and the moderator/Admin said RATING is useless u could be a REALLY bad player and have high rep due to easy broken decks like inzektor wind-up. zektor/wind-up (combo of both of them) six sams etc.... EXP isnt very helpful for judging your opp this is why I suggested my wins/losses im wating for admins reply also NERO77 this is froma duel today notice the RATING is near 1000. https://imgur.com/8iBH0 he tryed synching with xyz and fabled raven for lvl 6
'
last time i heard, one trick ponies arent broken(six sams)
sagax06
sagax06

Birthday : 1996-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-04, 01:10

eh they might not be broken but they shure are annoying

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-02-04, 04:22

I know a person that has a 1000 rating that doesn't know the term "resolve". Rating is nothing as it seems.
nero77
nero77

Birthday : 1994-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-02-04, 11:28

Rating shows how much the player wins, it doesn't show how good they are. I'd much rather base my opponent on Exp anyway.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-04, 12:34

nero77 wrote:I know a person that has a 1000 rating that doesn't know the term "resolve". Rating is nothing as it seems.
Says the the on who thinks rating determines how good you are and mirror B or any other admin can I please get a reply to the win/losses showing when you join a hosts duel and vice versa when a host duels they can see the win/losses of their opp

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-02-04, 13:08

Rating shows your skills as a duelist. Although there are isolated cases of boosting or not knowing rules, for the most part, you can determine the skill of a player by his rating
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-04, 13:41

rating= shit and useless as you can see by this example https://imgur.com/sUKbz

It;s a lvl 7 steelswarm and opp thinks you can use1 DARK monster clrealy it says right there u can only use one tribute if it's a steelswarm not only that but after I told him he was wrong he calls admin and rages...

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  ! Alestorm ! 2012-02-04, 14:21

The rating system is there imo..as a sense of accomplishment for the player and for other players to determine the skill level and attitude of the player they are dueling..I say sense of accomplishment because..well come on..if you reach 1300 rating for the first time..you feel pretty good about yourself..and when someone sees you with 1300 rating they have atleast an idea that you might be decent to duel against..however people learn and find ways to abuse this system..in real it is their own fault..cause imo increasing your rating is like increasing your levels in a video game..when you first start at 100/0 your going through the levels and ranks and getting as high as you can and the higher you go..the harder it gets..and you basicly adjust with the game as you get higher..so if you boost then its your fault when you start getting owned..lol i didnt really re read this so I hope I make sense >.>
! Alestorm !
! Alestorm !

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-04, 14:55

We aren't even talking bout boosting xD just a general discussion about rating. and opinions Very Happy but Diidn;t you see that one pic I posted like a few hours ago.. tht guy had last 150 wins under his belt.. call me crazy but 150 wins soudns like a high rating level.. and he thinks you only needed one tribute for lvl 7s...

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  ! Alestorm ! 2012-02-04, 14:57

yugioh doesnt have the smartest community at times >.>
! Alestorm !
! Alestorm !

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-02-04, 18:24

lordofpoison wrote:
nero77 wrote:I know a person that has a 1000 rating that doesn't know the term "resolve". Rating is nothing as it seems.
Says the the on who thinks rating determines how good you are and mirror B or any other admin can I please get a reply to the win/losses showing when you join a hosts duel and vice versa when a host duels they can see the win/losses of their opp
Win/loss is about as important as rating.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-04, 18:26

! Alestorm ! wrote:yugioh doesnt have the smartest community at times >.>
nope! Very Happy

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  IMJuly 2012-02-07, 17:56

Phoenix Wright wrote:Rating shows your skills as a duelist. Although there are isolated cases of boosting or not knowing rules, for the most part, you can determine the skill of a player by his rating

Idk about that played a 1200 player over like 100 or so rep, and he didn't know about cost or that monsters effect on summon starts a chain.

Tl;dr Not always.
IMJuly
IMJuly

Birthday : 1993-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-12, 13:23

............ do i rely need to explain this one?? this guy has a rep of 1200 or so... and spazzes cuz of ruling up... as iv already stated 9000000000 times..... rating is retarded.. https://imgur.com/0Udap idk wht he ment by DN being overratted ?

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  skielinfiniti 2012-02-12, 16:09

I think I understand you here.

You're perhaps saying that rating is not an accurate measure of how good or knowledgeable your opponent is, and in some cases can be due to accident, good fortune, or using an exceptionally cheap Deck to gain the wins, thus neutralizing some elements of the standards used to judge your opponents.

However, to me that's a complaint expected by the territory. No system of ranking is perfect. However, without those numbers, people will have nothing to aspire to aside from pure fun, and as much as we'd like to say "It's a game and meant to be fun", if you remove rating entirely, there is no sense of accomplishment merely by winning. You like to see how you do relative to other people.

Yes, many times I've gone against a high rating person and they've made errors, some blatant ones, and some have mocked me for pointing out ruling flaws (they didnt believe I was correct, and noted my high rating while doing so).

It's not a surefire method of judging your opponent's skill. What I figure is reliable is to try to face people at roughly the same rating as yourself. As you win, your rating will go up and you'll face a number of people with different levels of skill and Decks, until you get into the higher ranges and face more consistently powerful opponents.

Also, it should be noted that losing to a person with far lower ranking tends to hurt your score more, which is why good players with low ratings probably have a hard time finding people to "accept" them. I personally wouldn't want to face someone who, if they win, regardless of how legit or luck-based it was, I'll get majorly penalized and they'll get majorly rewarded. And if I win, I'll get next to nothing. It's an imbalance of risk/reward.

Overall, I look at both scores. High rating + high rep/exp = experienced player, wins often enough to maintain their rating score.
skielinfiniti
skielinfiniti

Back to top Go down

Post  lordofpoison 2012-02-12, 17:48

skielinfiniti wrote:I think I understand you here.

You're perhaps saying that rating is not an accurate measure of how good or knowledgeable your opponent is, and in some cases can be due to accident, good fortune, or using an exceptionally cheap Deck to gain the wins, thus neutralizing some elements of the standards used to judge your opponents.

However, to me that's a complaint expected by the territory. No system of ranking is perfect. However, without those numbers, people will have nothing to aspire to aside from pure fun, and as much as we'd like to say "It's a game and meant to be fun", if you remove rating entirely, there is no sense of accomplishment merely by winning. You like to see how you do relative to other people.

Yes, many times I've gone against a high rating person and they've made errors, some blatant ones, and some have mocked me for pointing out ruling flaws (they didnt believe I was correct, and noted my high rating while doing so).

It's not a surefire method of judging your opponent's skill. What I figure is reliable is to try to face people at roughly the same rating as yourself. As you win, your rating will go up and you'll face a number of people with different levels of skill and Decks, until you get into the higher ranges and face more consistently powerful opponents.

Also, it should be noted that losing to a person with far lower ranking tends to hurt your score more, which is why good players with low ratings probably have a hard time finding people to "accept" them. I personally wouldn't want to face someone who, if they win, regardless of how legit or luck-based it was, I'll get majorly penalized and they'll get majorly rewarded. And if I win, I'll get next to nothing. It's an imbalance of risk/reward.

Overall, I look at both scores. High rating + high rep/exp = experienced player, wins often enough to maintain their rating score.
while.. at least u got my main point. Good argument.

lordofpoison

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum