Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind.

3 posters

Go down

I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind. Empty I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind.

Post  ccharlie999 2012-02-15, 12:36

So I started playin in 1998 when the first yugi-starter decks were releasing. It was such a simple time back then, and I was a young and obviously unintelligent duelist.

So Eventually, after a few years (say about 3 years), I finally had a decent deck. My best card was probably Valkarian The Magna Warrior, which isn't a very good card nowadays, but was pretty boss back in 2001-2002. After I accident broke something valuable to my parents, my dad got very angry and took my deck away. He said I couldn't have it for a while. 2 weeks later, I find out that he actually threw my hole deck away. What a jerk!

I was so mad... I quit obviously...

But recently I found out about this website and I love it. I was just wondering if someone could explain to me in simple terms about how chains and battles work on an advanced level. I know the basics, but I constantly have to ask questions to a friend of mine who's more of a pro than I am. I'd rather not keep bugging him. So first, I'm not exactly certain how chains work when someone refers to spell speeds.

If I activate a trap, someone else can chain that with another trap or quickplay spell card, right?

In an attack during the battle phase that involves a trap activation, the order of happenstance is:
Attack > Trap Card > Effect > Battle Damage Calculation > Monsters destroyed (if any).

I'm probably very wrong, I just can't remember these finite things.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Charlie

ccharlie999

Back to top Go down

I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind. Empty Re: I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind.

Post  Dart 2012-02-15, 13:45

There's something wrong there, the traps that usually destroy a monster that attacks (assuming that you're talking about your monster being destroyed) activates when the monster declares an attack, if the monster declares an attack and your opponent respond to it with a Mirror Force for example, then Mirror Force activates and resolve and your monster is destroyed, no battle damage involved since the monster is no longer there.
Dart
Dart

Back to top Go down

I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind. Empty Re: I need some explanation... if someone doesn't mind.

Post  ccharlie999 2012-02-15, 15:28

So if what you say is true, the order for an attack without the activation of a trap card is as follows.

• Phase 1: Attack Declaration - You declare an attack
  • Phase 2: Flip - Opponent Monster is flipped face-up if it was set.
  • Phase 3: Battle Effect - If the attacking monster's effect directly effects the outcome of battle.
  • Phase 4: Flip Effect - Flip Effect activates if it has one (non-flip effects do not activate)
  • Phase 5: Damage Calculation - Calculate any and all battle damage
  • Phase 6: Destruction - If any monster is to be destroyed, it goes to the graveyard now.

And whatever your trap card is modifying or changing in the battle process, it replaces that phase with the trap effect, and resolves backwards?

For example, if you activated mirror force as said above, then it would replace Phase 1 with the trap card effect, and the rest would never happen because it would resolve backwards from that point.

If a trap card negated the flip effect of a flip effect monster and destroyed it, even if you had something that can pierce through defense mode (like fairy meteor crush), the trap card would replace Phase 4 with the trap card and since the monster is destroyed, phase 5 and 6 would not happen.

If someone could please verify the accuracy of this, I would appreciate it. Also, could someone explain spell speed to me in this level of detail.

ccharlie999

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-02-15, 15:53

All you need to know to get back into the game

http://www.yugioh-card.com/uk/rulebook/V7_English_Rlbk_lores.pdf
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  ccharlie999 2012-02-15, 22:55

Badass_Bunny wrote:All you need to know to get back into the game

http://www.yugioh-card.com/uk/rulebook/V7_English_Rlbk_lores.pdf

*salutes you*

ccharlie999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum