Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brio or no

+10
Slim
Pharaoh Atem
raidou
Resurgence
Phoenix Wright
Badass_Bunny
Key
Johnny Raptor
dest
ookamigaru
14 posters

Go down

Brio or no Empty Brio or no

Post  ookamigaru 2011-06-30, 15:48

-summon Brio
-calls priority
-pitches card
-picks target (monster)
-opponent BTH

Does Brio fizzle out, or does his effect go through?
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Birthday : 1989-07-27

https://facebook.com/ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Brio or no Empty Re: Brio or no

Post  dest 2011-06-30, 15:58

monsters don't need to stay face up on the field for their effect to resolve, at least most of the time. But the amount of exceptions are very few (if you don't count monsters whose effect affect themselves)

I can tell for sure, that brionac is not one of those exceptions, his effect resolves normally.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-06-30, 16:01

So my target bounces even though he drops? Yes?
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-06-30, 16:16

that's what I said^^
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Raptor 2011-06-30, 16:26

I went through this just now.

We have Priority still, unless you and your opponent agreed to a No-Priority thing that the OCG Rules currently have.

Priority being that they summon, you use a Bottomless/Torrential, and they go "I activate my Brionac's effect first", blah blah blah.

Yes, the ruling is stupid, it's annoying, and I'm glad that the OCG finally ditched it, and I'm waiting for it to die on TCG Shores along with the denizens of DN who enforce it like no tomorrow. >_> (not pointing at mods, pointing at people I've dueled who are pricks like that. Neutral)

EDIT tl;dr - Brionac's effect goes through without a hitch.
Johnny Raptor
Johnny Raptor

Birthday : 1992-09-30

http://www.fanfiction.net/~TheRaptorJohnny

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-06-30, 16:46

priority is an amazing thing.
Sorry off subject, but I will defend it till I die.
Why?
Cause good players can use it greatly.
Such as

I SS Bora, I call priority for shuroco. Priority doesn't just mean the monster summoned, it is summoning in general.

They wanted to get rid of it cause too many people DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT.

It is simple, and that is that. If they get rid of it here, then yugis just got dumbed down. we'll have to go through retraining for deck testing. Why? cause alot of decks rule off of priority and such.

Without it, you're shooting in the air and missing your target.

Thank you though for answering my question ^_^
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-06-30, 17:42

My Priority Guide wrote:*Before I go any further, here are some rules regarding Priority
-One does not “Call Priority”, he/she either maintains it or not
-No monsters/spells/traps have Priority, the players do
-You do not “Activate Priority”, it is not a card

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t660-ruling-101-priority

Calling priority is misleading, it's best not to do it.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-02, 09:22

I'm country lol, we call alot, in terms of tournys, if you do not call it, you lose it.

Even judges will ask if I asked for priority and such.

Cause Brio has priority, but I can choose to use it or no, thus I call to use it, not calling it as it exists, but I wish to use it "thus I call it".

I hope you understand my way of speaking lol, people get confused lol
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2011-07-02, 09:37

that is what I've been saying him this whole time yes the term is incorrect and missleading but however in YGO and online simulators if you don't say Prio(thus "Calling it") you will make unnecessary problems when someone says you can't activate prio after I after I played my BTH/CED/BOM etc...

You have to notify your opponent since people rush to activate something to stop it before you can use monster effect properly most of the time.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-02, 09:41

you do not have to say "I call priority on my brionac" it is a given rule that you can use effects until you pass priority to the turn player (typicality, "do you have a response?")

Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-02, 09:50

lol I am too nice to say "do you have a responce" Cause that insues alot.
Anywho, even if you dont speak and keep herp dupering. And he goes BTH on Brio, you know what not to bounce now. So you choose amany different targets at once.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Resurgence 2011-07-02, 10:02

Hence another reason why the OCG is where real dueling happens.

Cause we can Veiler a Lonefire before it can tribute itself.

...And cause all TCG exclusives are broken as ballz (seriously, Allure, CotLB, Tengu... amazingly broken)
Resurgence
Resurgence

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-02, 10:09

BEFORE I POST THIS, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO OFFENSE TO BE TAKEN, IT IS HOW I SPEAK. Not trying to sound rude at all.

Even if they are broken, it means that it takes a real player to understand more advanced rules. We here who play with priority were mad when we found out it was going to be gone. Alot of players said they would stop playing if it did, hence why it didnt disappear.

If you can play agaist someone using broken abilities and still win, you feel epic right? Right! Yea, we have broken cards, hence why decks like BW and such still win in OCG, cause you have nothing super or anything. Shorbora still wins cause there is no weird ass shit there.

TCG, our decks get nerfed and hurt cause of prority, but then we turn around and look for ways to replace it and fix the mended bruices. Brio with Priority wins cause it allows for good plays, but it can die easy, even to anything honestly.

Thank you for answering my question, but I think this thread should be closed before an OCGTCG fight breaks out. If you'd like, create a thread and I'd love to discuss this with you.

I do love to hear others opinions and such. Learning new things is always a plus in the world of a children card game. No sarcasm either.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-07-02, 11:39

i only 'call prio' if my opponent uses a card on my turn without asking first if ill use my prio

like when they use a card during my draw phase without asking
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-07-02, 11:50

I think with the ability to activate ignition effects gone there will be a lot more bottomless plays seen and it finally deserves its semid status. Seriously, the only reason I'd use warning over bottomless are the effects used before you can activate it. Sure, trigger effects (monarchs/Stratos) and quick effects (stardust) can still harm, but those anoying ignition effects (brionac and the like), can't you harm anymore when destroyed @ summon.

Therefore I'd really hope to see that change also in the tcg some time.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnny Raptor 2011-07-02, 18:54

dest wrote:I think with the ability to activate ignition effects gone there will be a lot more bottomless plays seen and it finally deserves its semid status. Seriously, the only reason I'd use warning over bottomless are the effects used before you can activate it. Sure, trigger effects (monarchs/Stratos) and quick effects (stardust) can still harm, but those anoying ignition effects (brionac and the like), can't you harm anymore when destroyed @ summon.

Therefore I'd really hope to see that change also in the tcg some time.

We'll see it by the time the new Starter Deck hits us with the new rule book and etc.

Anyhoo, that's my $0.02 on this topic that should be closed now.
Johnny Raptor
Johnny Raptor

Birthday : 1992-09-30

http://www.fanfiction.net/~TheRaptorJohnny

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-07-02, 19:31

ookamigaru wrote:I'm country lol, we call alot, in terms of tournys, if you do not call it, you lose it.

Even judges will ask if I asked for priority and such.

Cause Brio has priority, but I can choose to use it or no, thus I call to use it, not calling it as it exists, but I wish to use it "thus I call it".

I hope you understand my way of speaking lol, people get confused lol
This, is where "Calling Priority" is misleading.
You have to start telling everyone near you that You have Priority, rather "Call Priority". Because by doing that, people will eventually stop if you continue to criticize it.

People are used to the "If you don't call priority, you don't get it" way, which is the opposite of how Priority works, and that defeats the purpose.

I do understand your scenario, I was in it before until I'm the one who started correctly everyone near me.

Badass_Bunny wrote:that is what I've been saying him this whole time yes the term is incorrect and missleading but however in YGO and online simulators if you don't say Prio(thus "Calling it") you will make unnecessary problems when someone says you can't activate prio after I after I played my BTH/CED/BOM etc...

raidou wrote:i only 'call prio' if my opponent uses a card on my turn without asking first if ill use my prio

like when they use a card during my draw phase without asking

This is when you tell your opponent that if they jump the gun, it's an illegal activation because you did not pass priority to him. Thus the game state will rewind and you will be the one in a greater advantage.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-02, 20:16

Hey, I play Jeff Jones man lol.

Even he asks if I'd like to use my priority even before I think of it.

Call is just a term, I can see where it is misleading and such, but its how the ball rolls ya know? lol
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-07-02, 20:43

ookamigaru wrote:Hey, I play Jeff Jones man lol.

Even he asks if I'd like to use my priority even before I think of it.

Call is just a term, I can see where it is misleading and such, but its how the ball rolls ya know? lol

How the ball rolls is due to people unwilling to change even though they clearly know himself/herself is wrong. If you do not try to change the way of how the ball rolls, there's no way the ball will roll correctly. But if you try (Like what I'm doing right now), the result will be different.

And like I've said, I've been in your situation before, just keep that in mind at all times
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-03, 05:15

ookamigaru wrote:Hey, I play Jeff Jones man lol.

And I'm the guy who Jeff Jones comes to when he doesn't understand a game rule as well as he wants to - which is quite often.

Jeff only says "call prio" because he can't be fucked to correct everyone - in essence, he's part of the problem because he can't be bothered to help fix the problem.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Birthday : 1988-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-03, 09:45

Atem, if you are who I think you are, then its cool meeting you. There is very few people that dude ever speaks nicely about lol.

Still, I get what you mean Key, still, changing ones speech is very hard. Even if you don't have to call priority, acting in terms, don't you have to announce all of your moves? So your opponent in real can understand what you are doin'? So in term, "calling" is just another way of saying "I am using my priority to F you over." Am I right? Or no?

If you think I am repeating myself or I don't understand, I do know you have it or you do not. You can not call something that is there or is not there. You either use it or not, but in respect to my opponent, I do wish to say "I call priority", just like I "Call upon the heavens!" kinda deal, so he can react accordingly. Though I guess, saying "Do you have a response? No? Yes? I activate either way." works just as well lol.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-03, 17:32

"I call priority to F you over" is not how it works to anyone who knows how to play the game properly.

If a player takes action while they don't have the right to act, that's them fucking themselves over, because that action they took just revealed their intentions, and may have also revealed one or more of their cards.

When that situation happens, it's not "I call Priority, so although you activated that card, this effect of mine is still Chain Link 1 and you're roped into Chaining to that effect".

It's "you broke the rules. I'm calling a judge, and he'll make you fix it."

What players do with the information revealed when said rules are broken is not part of the issue. If someone's idiot enough to not know how to play the game, the game's rules make it so that you can easily screw yourself over for your stupidity; and this is an applaudable thing.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-03, 20:27

lol I know, that is the reason why I love priority, cause if my opponent screws himself over, yeah, that makes me seem bad, but in the end. THere are way too many people who dont know how priority works, even if they say they know, they dont. I know I didn't until Warfield and Jones banged it into my head for months.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Slim 2011-07-03, 20:44

When prio goes away, I'll be glad. I've gotten so many times when my opponent was able to summon Odin, and I've flipped Bottomless Trap Hole to remove him. My opponent calls priority and Odin's effect comes into play... Real life duel being spoken of, and I don't own a Solemn Warning.
Slim
Slim

Birthday : 1995-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-07-03, 21:34

Slim wrote:When prio goes away, I'll be glad. I've gotten so many times when my opponent was able to summon Odin, and I've flipped Bottomless Trap Hole to remove him. My opponent calls priority and Odin's effect comes into play... Real life duel being spoken of, and I don't own a Solemn Warning.
Even with prio, if you Bottomless Trap Hole Odin, he will be banish because you chain Bottomless to Odin's effect, not chain Odin's effect to Bottomless. You've been scammed by your opponent. Odin's effect is Ignition effect, it will be the 1st chain link if your opponent use the priority.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki 2011-07-03, 21:41

I am confused on how people can be confused as to the topic question to even ask this. No offense, truly, however, I really want to know how many read the rulebook.

On topic, calling Priority or asking if they use it is crucial to certain events, like using Effect Veiler.

Lastly, how many even know what Priority is? I think people THINK it means "My effect happens no matter what." However, Priority means, "No, your Ignition effect, if the Summon is not negated with a Spell Speed 3 card, is to automatically take Chain Link 1 upon the monster's Summon, unless a mandatory effect takes Chain Link 1 instead, such as Stumbling or Level Limit - Area B."

Just my two cents. I wonder if there is a Priority Sticky article here... if not I will write one.
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-07-03, 21:49

Chiaki wrote:I am confused on how people can be confused as to the topic question to even ask this. No offense, truly, however, I really want to know how many read the rulebook.

On topic, calling Priority or asking if they use it is crucial to certain events, like using Effect Veiler.

Lastly, how many even know what Priority is? I think people THINK it means "My effect happens no matter what." However, Priority means, "No, your Ignition effect, if the Summon is not negated with a Spell Speed 3 card, is to automatically take Chain Link 1 upon the monster's Summon, unless a mandatory effect takes Chain Link 1 instead, such as Stumbling or Level Limit - Area B."

Just my two cents. I wonder if there is a Priority Sticky article here... if not I will write one.
Stumbling or Level Limit - Area B is not mandatory effect, they are continuous effect.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki 2011-07-03, 21:56

The effects must happen on Summon. This will better explain.

For example: You have Stumbling. They Summon Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress. They want to use Priority.

However, because effects typically resolve like this:

Turn Player's Mandatory effects
Opponent's Mandatory effects
Turn Player's Optional effects
Opponent's Optional effects

Lyla cannot use Priority to use her effect. Stumbling instantly takes Chain Link 1 on her Summon.
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-07-03, 22:04

ookamigaru wrote:lol I know, that is the reason why I love priority, cause if my opponent screws himself over, yeah, that makes me seem bad, but in the end. THere are way too many people who dont know how priority works, even if they say they know, they dont. I know I didn't until Warfield and Jones banged it into my head for months.

If you know how priority works, you would express that by not calling priority. It may be a term, but a misleading one. And why should we lean towards the wrong way when clearly there's the right path ? If you truely think you know Priority, then express it correctly.

Chiaki wrote:
There is. And it's right here.

I know I didn't go into detail with some lingering effects or Lightsworn / GB issues, I may add that in later

BlackwingRa wrote:
Stumbling or Level Limit - Area B is not mandatory effect, they are continuous effect.

Stumbling starts a chain while Area B is continuous

Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-03, 23:05

We all speak differently, i'm not wrong fore saying "calling", it is how I talk, while you say I use priority, I call it. it is a matter of background. In which I speak country and sometimes pronounce things wrong.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-07-03, 23:41

How are you not wrong for calling priority if calling priority contradicts the purpose of priority ?

I do not mind if different people speak differently, but in yu gi oh, we speak yu gi oh.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Hexadecimal 2011-07-03, 23:58

Just a heads up for anyone trying to act superior on this topic. The rules for priority are changing soon so that is causing a lot of confusion and your only adding fuel to the fire.
Hexadecimal
Hexadecimal

Birthday : 1991-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-07-04, 00:13

My Priority Guide wrote:Second, the TCG environment is not guaranteed to get this rule change just because of Xyz monsters are coming out. For all we know, OCG might be changing it for whatever reasons they have.

Just a heads up, if TCG does not get the rule change don't be surprised

Last edited by Key on 2011-07-04, 00:20; edited 1 time in total
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokay 2011-07-04, 00:16

in yugioh a simple word on the card has to be broken down several times just so people can half-understand it
Smokay
Smokay

Birthday : 1997-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-04, 01:18

I aint arguing, just talking, still, I speak yugioh in my way. You say return to hand and I say bounce. You say set, I say lay down. It is what makes each player different. If we were all the same, this game would blow
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Hexadecimal 2011-07-04, 01:27

i think your being a tad over dramatic...
Hexadecimal
Hexadecimal

Birthday : 1991-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-04, 05:23

Lol maybe I am, but regardless, it's only a game lol
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-04, 11:11

Slim wrote:When prio goes away, I'll be glad. I've gotten so many times when my opponent was able to summon Odin, and I've flipped Bottomless Trap Hole to remove him. My opponent calls priority and Odin's effect comes into play... Real life duel being spoken of, and I don't own a Solemn Warning.

The change to Ignition Effect Rules does not change what Priority is, or how it works.

It changes when players can activate Ignition Effects.

That said, you have no license to be sick of your opponent doing that. Your opponent using their proper right to activate Odin in response to their Summoning a monster isn't just within the rules; it's a case where your opponent's actions wouldn't make a damn lick of difference - Odin's still dying.

Further, like I said to the other guy: any case where the non-turn player responds to a Summon before the Turn Player without the Turn Player expressly saying that they pass on their opportunity to respond first is cheating.

So, your post as you wrote it isn't JUST a case where your BTH kills Odin; it's a case where you're cheating and no one's called you out on it until now.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Back to top Go down

Post  ookamigaru 2011-07-05, 10:16

lol I love debates. Still, I hate when people diss on Priority, cause not all the time is it prioritys fault, it is chains fault why you're mad. Priority actually gave you the chance to BTH to go through. Just saying. I mean Brio and Dad kinda kill that in all, but in the end.

If dad shoots your backrow with Priority, and he hits your BTH, you can then respond to his summoning trapping him. He just when -2 while you only went -1. Same with Brio.
ookamigaru
ookamigaru

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down