Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rulings and misconceptions.

5 posters

Go down

Rulings and misconceptions. Empty Rulings and misconceptions.

Post  Makiba 2011-07-21, 11:16

Often I find that, while card text on certain cards can seem obvious, the rulings in the actual game can be counter-intuitive. The rules just seem to go against what the card wants to say. So I'm here making this post about some of these rulings and what cards they affect.

What is a cost

A cost is simply a requirement to play a card usually by paying another card. Costs must be paid before the activation of an effect or summon of a monster, and you do not get a refund on a cost.

This ruling is all about the card "Lava Golem" who's text is: "This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned to your opponent's side of the field by Tributing 2 monsters they control. You cannot Normal Summon or Set the turn you Special Summon this card. The controller of this card takes 1000 points of damage during each of his/her Standby Phases."

As you can see the text on the card is "Tributing" which means Lava Golem sends the opponent's monsters to the graveyard as a cost. This means that the monsters go to the graveyard before the summon resolves. Even if you negate the summon or effect of Lava Golem with a card like "Solemn Warning" the monsters will still go to the graveyard. Then Lava Golem is negated and sent to the graveyard.

What are equip mechanics
Equip mechanics are the ways in which an equip card interacts with a monster it's equipped to.
Equip cards continuously target the equipped monster to make sure it is still there. If that monster is no longer face-up on the field, the Equip card is automatically destroyed. This can be due to either being destroyed or removed from the field by battle of card effect, or simply being flipped face-down with "Book of Moon".

This ruling is all about the card "Dragunity Aklys" which has the text effect: "When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Dragunity" monster from your hand, then equip it with this card. When this card is sent to the Graveyard while equipped to a monster, select 1 card on the field, and destroy it."

Simple right? Well not so much. The ruling misconception here is "When my monster is destroyed so is the equip card, and therefore I can destroy 1 card on the field."

Unfortunately this isn't true. You see if a card equipped with Dragunity Aklys is destroyed by battle or effect, such as "Dark Hole" The monster itself is destroyed first leaving the equip card without a monster. When the equip card realizes it isn't attached to a monster it self destructs. In this case Dragunity Aklys doesn't get it's effect because it's in face not equipped to the monster, which is why it's destroyed.

Last edited by Makiba on 2011-07-21, 12:31; edited 2 times in total

Makiba

Back to top Go down

Rulings and misconceptions. Empty Re: Rulings and misconceptions.

Post  tester12342 2011-07-21, 11:37

Are you sure about your DARK tuner? When it is listed in all caps, it usually refers to the attribute of the monster.

Its wordings also similar to other synchros that require a specific attribute tuner like Ancient Flamvell Deity, Ancient Sacred Wyvern etc.

Also if it were looking for an archetype tuner like Fabled Leviathan, Jurrac Meteor, Scrap Twin Dragon etc. The wording should be 1 "Dark" Tuner, much like Scrap Twin Dragon's 1 "Scrap" Tuner requirement.

Last edited by tester12342 on 2011-07-21, 11:39; edited 1 time in total

tester12342

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreft 2011-07-21, 11:38

Wtf are you talking about? Hundred Eyes Dragon means what it says. A tuner of the Dark attribute.
Kreft
Kreft

Birthday : 1991-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-07-21, 11:47

There is so much misleading information in this... i don't even know where you got these from...
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2011-07-21, 11:48

Makiba wrote:
DARK Tuners
This ruling is all about "Hundred Eyes Dragon" Which is a Syncro monster. Hundred Eyes Dragon text effect is: "1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Fiend-Type monsters
Once per turn, you can activate this card's effect by removing from play 1 Level 6 or lower DARK Effect Monster from your Graveyard. Until the End Phase, treat this card's name as that monster's name and this card gains the same effects as that monster while face-up on the field. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, add 1 "Earthbound Immortal" monster from your Deck to your hand."

Note at the beginning of the cards effect "DARK Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Fiend-Type monsters". This may lead you to believe that it required a Tuner monster with a Dark Attribute. Unfortunately this isn't true. Unfortunately there is no real way to play this card at all because In the OCG and the TCG there are no "DARK Tuners" dark tuners are Anime only cards that allow for dark syncro's. The card "Hundred Eyes Dragon" is a collectors item that one could get from the magazine "Shonen Jump" But has no real play. While it is a tournament legal card, because there are no such thing as "DARK Tuner"s It cannot be syncro summoned for.

(I tried to explain this to my opponent, but since I wasn't able to explain it properly at the time my opponent ended up quitting and reporting me for unsportsmanlike behavior).

Listen very carefully I'm only going to say this once.

Hundred-eyes Dragon

Requires 1 tuner of DARK Atribute. Every card that mentions attribute in it's text has attribute always written in Capital letters. Konami is serious company why would they release something that can't be summoned?

Please trying doing some more research next time
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Makiba 2011-07-21, 12:19

Due to the differences of opinions I'll take down the dark tuner part until I'm able to do more research on the topic.

Note* I discovered I had made a mistake On the card ruling for "Hundred eyes dragon" and have since taken it down.

Makiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down