Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment)

+2
Suaver
Darkplant
6 posters

Go down

Agree? Disagree?

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Vote_lcap100%Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 3 ]
Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Vote_lcap0%Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 3

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Empty Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment)

Post  Darkplant 2011-09-04, 21:19

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment)

This is something I'm considering in the case with several decks such as Agents that don't rely upon a particular Spell that stays on the field, or any real Traps (thus why I'm not going to implement this upon DWs; a good player will attempt to MST Gate, and nothing else, so using MST bait isn't THAT needed in there). People are already doing this on Lightsworns by running Beckoning Light, but I think many other decks can use this idea too. Am currently testing on DN with many decks I wish to be competitive.

=Pros=
1. S/T Hate
This is pretty obvious, but most decks will run a Heavy Storm, and 2, or possibly even 3 copies of MST. Running free-chains will kill them like a boss.

2. Top-tiers with mass destruction
Not only that, we must consider the top-tier decks and how to compete them when choosing our cards:
-Dark World
-Lightsworns/Twilight
-Agents
These are, in my opinion, the best decks in the Sept’ 2011 format.

Dark Worlds generally fight using the large bulk of Grapha while gathering card advantage via its destruction effect and Gate of the Dark World. Since Grapha is almost unbeatable in sheer combat, it’s easy to say its destruction effect will be used more on the backrow over the front (unless you have a face-down monster; then the opponent might destroy it, thinking of a Ryko, but otherwise he most likely wouldn’t). They also utilize Dark World Lightning. In both cases, free-chains can do the job easily; especially in Lightning’s case, where the opponent can’t even discard, given it wasn’t able to destroy successfully.

Lightsworns run Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress, and obviously Judgment Dragon. Both have amazing destruction effects, but if you’ve set a free-chain, it just does nothing. In some cases, if you set free-chain stall cards such as Threatening Roar, you can even go for deck-out eventually.

Agents have Master Hyperion, which ALSO has a destructive effect. Not only that, it has a bulky body as well (hell, all the top-tier decks have an ace that generate mass pluses). It’s a +1 every turn. And, just like the other two, it’ll go for the backrow – which is where you just chain it and spam trollface pics.

All of the Sept’ top-tier decks utilize destruction; that means the power of free-chains is even stronger than before.

3. A monster that’s like a Trap
I’m talking about Effect Veiler. Easily one of the best monsters this format, and also a fodder for the Chaos legion, Effect Veiler stops a whole lot of amazing effects, and is activated from your hand, allowing a surprising move that exceeds even the common Traps in that sense. This means that even without the “staple Traps”, Veiler can get rid of pesky effects, and you can proceed with winning. Of course it works terrible against Dark Worlds, but hey, the side deck exists.

=Cons=
Obviously, not running mass advantage cards like Torrential Tribute, Mirror Force, and the “staple” Solemn Warning will lessen the chances of a dramatic comeback later game. However, even if you drew TT or Mirror Force in those cases, Grapha will revive itself MP2, JD will keep on dropping Phoenix Wrights, and Hyperion will keep on crushing those cards you just set. I say it’s not much of a problem either way nowadays. Besides, if you want to stop stuff like Earth or Venus or Lumina or Celestia, the obvious answer is aforementioned Effect Veiler.

=Chainable Traps in the Main=
Alright, onto the free-chain Traps, the main thing I’m talking about.
Trap Dustshoot
Now even considered a Staple, Trap Dustshoot on first turn is one of the best possible moves this format. Also, I’ve found that it works against Lightsworns even after several turns; they don’t use backrow besides Beckoning.

Mind Crush
Okay, feel free to run it at 2 this format. It’s AMAZING against that pesky Earth, or Birdman, or Charge, or Beckoning Light. When Snow searches Gate, this is a beast in that case too. And I suppose everyone knows the combo of this plus Trap Dustshoot; it pretty much means game.

Threatening roar
I can see Agents running this to protect their Earth. That’s because if they manage to keep her alive for a turn, the next thing coming up is either a raging Trishula or a parade of Daigusto Phoenixes – either way, it’s close to gg. It can also be chained to JD and stop the gigantic punches. The fact this (T-Roar) is almost impossible to negate gives it more credit.

Compulsory Evacuation Device
It seems bad on first glance. JD and Hypeiron will resummon themselves, Grapha will drop itself again, etc… However, it’s amazing when used on Synchros, in particular the Stardust and Scrap Dragons. Depends on the opponent. Will be total c*** against particular decks, and will be baws on others.

Phoenix Wing Wind Blast
A -1 on its own, but it turns to a +0 if MST’ed. I wouldn’t really suggest it that hard; it’s more of a personal tech.

If this topic doesn’t die, I’ll go on adding more.

Opinions on this idea?
Darkplant
Darkplant

Back to top Go down

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Empty Re: Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment)

Post  Suaver 2011-09-04, 21:33

I think it really depends on the deck you're running.

For example, running a GB deck without War Chariot or an Infernity deck without Infernity Barrier would be like running Dark Worlds without Gate of the Dark World or Dragunities without Dragon Ravine.

For decks that don't require specific response traps, though, I think that running Free Chain traps is an option (ex: Running Threatening Roars in Pipers). The player should see what his/her local meta is like before making that decision though (running Dustshoot/Crush against herp derp backrow decks wouldn't make sense)
Suaver
Suaver

Back to top Go down

Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment) Empty Re: Running only Free-Chain Traps (except Solemn Judgment)

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2011-09-04, 21:36

Didnt you laugh when I said TRoar would replace Mirror Force because its chainable?
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Birthday : 1992-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkplant 2011-09-04, 21:37

TheVoid wrote:Didnt you laugh when I said TRoar would replace Mirror Force because its chainable?

I normally ran DWs, I wasn't used to the idea.

Then I decided I should make Agents too, and realized you were sorta right in some cases.

Thus, I came to this.

This depends on the deck, really.
Darkplant
Darkplant

Back to top Go down

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2011-09-04, 21:39

Glad to see you admit that you were wrong... not often from someone with Mr Trololo as an avatar.
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkplant 2011-09-04, 21:43

Hell, everyone says I'm a troll, and I am, but I'm not trolling to annoy. It's just my character. I mean, if you've seen the TCG forums in YCM you would understand why I was molded into such a person.
Darkplant
Darkplant

Back to top Go down

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2011-09-04, 21:47

lol im from YCM myself... I know what theyre like... and Ive heard theyve gotten worse in the 2 years since I left.
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkplant 2011-09-04, 22:12

TheVoid wrote:lol im from YCM myself... I know what theyre like... and Ive heard theyve gotten worse in the 2 years since I left.

Depends on how you look at it. For me, it's the best site ever. People used to "friendly forums" get disgusted at a glance.
Darkplant
Darkplant

Back to top Go down

Post  cybrbot 2011-09-05, 13:34

this a very bad idea

cybrbot

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkplant 2011-09-05, 22:54

cybrbot wrote:this a very bad idea

wat
Darkplant
Darkplant

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2011-09-05, 23:18

This topic is honestly unusual, as it assumes everyone will use all 3 MST and Heavy Storm in a sense. Sure there is a lot of backrow hate, but this format will mimic last in terms of MST (since people are less opt to play backrow, less are in turn opt to play backrow destruction), and Heavy Storm instead of Giant Trunade.

People will tend to more or less play with less non-chainable traps, due to the high volume of destruction, but its essentially the same as last format in possible card line-ups. More people will use Twilight/ LS variants now, and those are already infamous for their built in destruction

To me, the format change seems to be more of a mental change rather than a game change. Should still be able to run most of the decks from previous format just fine, but should be prepared for the fact that the backrow can be wrecked again.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2011-09-06, 01:04

OverlordMMM wrote:This topic is honestly unusual, as it assumes everyone will use all 3 MST and Heavy Storm in a sense. Sure there is a lot of backrow hate, but this format will mimic last in terms of MST (since people are less opt to play backrow, less are in turn opt to play backrow destruction), and Heavy Storm instead of Giant Trunade.

People will tend to more or less play with less non-chainable traps, due to the high volume of destruction, but its essentially the same as last format in possible card line-ups. More people will use Twilight/ LS variants now, and those are already infamous for their built in destruction

To me, the format change seems to be more of a mental change rather than a game change. Should still be able to run most of the decks from previous format just fine, but should be prepared for the fact that the backrow can be wrecked again.

I agree. The game mentality and cardpool is not the same like the last time we had 3 MST's. People, including myself, are thinking that 3 MST's is overkill. Most people are just siding the third one if they need more backrow hate if that even.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum