Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to: Build a Solid Deck

+3
Kaiba
matt.dekok
Shuno of the Fallen
7 posters

Go down

How to: Build a Solid Deck Empty How to: Build a Solid Deck

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 14:11

This tutorial is made to help players (especially those who are new) learn how to make a solid deck if they have any troubles with deck building.

0) Learn how to play the game before you start making your deck. Yugioh is not as simple as it looks. You cannot believe how many people I run into that don't know the basics of Yugioh and end up quitting because of it. (Look up rulings for Yugioh as well)

1) Decide how you would like to play. This is important as this is how people look at you as a duelist.

2) After you decide how you like to play choose a deck archetype. Archetypes are a specific group of monsters like: Six Samurai, Blackwing, Zombie, Scrap, ect. There is simply too much for me to list on here and I don't have the perfect memory to tell you each and every one of them. Some target the graveyard, and your hand. (Sometimes there will be hybrids of archetypes like Scrap Meklords)

3) Choose your monsters after deciding on an archetype (Excluding your extra deck). At a minimum I would recommend 17 monsters; at max 25 monsters (Monsters like Six Samurai needs small amounts of monsters, while Elemental Hero monsters require a lot of monsters).

4) Choose your trap cards. There are always a must add trap card(s). I recommend: Mirror force, Solemn Judgment, Solemn Warning, Compulsory device, Starlight Road, and Dimensional Prison (These cards should be maxed, except Starlight Road..I recommend 1 or 2 for Starlight Road). There are also other trap cards you should never add into your deck. These I would never put into my deck: Sakuretsu armor, Bottomless Trap Hole, and Trap Hole. I wouldn't add these cards into my deck because they can easily be negated and destroyed by a lot of cards like Stardust Dragon, and Shien of the Six Samurai.

Example: You use Bottomless Trap Hole on Stardust. Opponent can now negate Bottomless Trap Hole since it requires Stardust to be summoned on the field and it "destroys" Stardust. (Stardust's ability is to send itself to the grave to negate an activation of spell, trap, or monster eff that would destroy a monster(s) on the field). Stardust however, cannot negate solemn judgement and warning since it NEGATES Stardust's summon. Shien also can negate Bottomless since it requires him on the field and Shien can negate any spell/trap in any turn. However, Mirror Force can also be negated, but I still would put it an any deck because it can destroy all faceup attack mode monsters when your opponent declares an attack.

5) Choose spell cards. Just like trap cards, spell cards also have cards that should be put in any deck like: Dark Hole, Monster Reborn, Heavy Storm, and Mystical Space Typhoon (Max all of these). At the moment, I can't think of any common spell card that you shouldn't be adding in.

6) Duel in unrated with your new deck 10 times. You should see how well your new formed deck works. If it's good you should at least win 5 times. (Also, duel with people at your current level, not people who are out of your level).

7) After 30 games, it's time to cover your deck's weaknesses and exploit it's strengths, and modify it with new support cards. During this time, you should already have taken out at least 5 cards, and replaced them with something more useful.

Cool Finally, after all the tests are done, find out what deck archetype is the hardest for your deck to beat and duel it. Remember, EVERY archetype has a weakness. If you can overcome the weakness of your deck, then you've got yourself a very good deck.

Happy dueling Wink

Last edited by Shuno of the Fallen on 2011-09-18, 20:55; edited 1 time in total
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Birthday : 1990-05-19

Back to top Go down

How to: Build a Solid Deck Empty Re: How to: Build a Solid Deck

Post  matt.dekok 2011-09-18, 14:43

Most of the advice related to Spells/Traps isn't exactly what I would have mentioned. Before you begin adding a bunch of defensive traps, you should think more about what spells and traps add synergy to the deck. For example, Mist Valleys will benefit greatly from their Field Spell. Reborn Tengu also benefits from the effects of Mist Valley and can be summoned by their Field Spell. Building a solid deck first requires synergy before you should even think about staple defenses.
matt.dekok
matt.dekok

Birthday : 1988-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 16:18

matt.dekok wrote:Most of the advice related to Spells/Traps isn't exactly what I would have mentioned. Before you begin adding a bunch of defensive traps, you should think more about what spells and traps add synergy to the deck. For example, Mist Valleys will benefit greatly from their Field Spell. Reborn Tengu also benefits from the effects of Mist Valley and can be summoned by their Field Spell. Building a solid deck first requires synergy before you should even think about staple defenses.

I agree and all, but new players will get caught up and eventually add too much cards that support the deck. You want to keep your deck simple. But, I guess this could be a personal preference. Synergize, or defensive cards first. I personally would like to go with defensive cards first because if I try to synergize for the deck, I often get too many combos and usually mess up another.

Thanks for feedback Smile
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2011-09-18, 17:43

I disagree with maxing MSTs. Decks aren't using as many backrows these days (See anything Lightsworn), and the ones that do, the backrows are almost all chainable. MST is pretty shit now.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Birthday : 1992-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  matt.dekok 2011-09-18, 17:47

Hence the reason its back to being unlimited.
matt.dekok
matt.dekok

Birthday : 1988-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-09-18, 17:49

Kaiba wrote:I disagree with maxing MSTs. Decks aren't using as many backrows these days (See anything Lightsworn), and the ones that do, the backrows are almost all chainable. MST is pretty shit now.

I couldn't agree with this more. I side out my MSTs all the time now. They are just so useless against so many decks now. It still has its uses, but 3 is overkill IMO.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2011-09-18, 20:02

matt.dekok wrote:Hence the reason its back to being unlimited.

The fact that it's unlimited is the reason that it isn't good. Being put to unlimited wasn't a response to it not being good anymore. It was good. Then they put it at 3. Now it's less good.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 20:16

vantagesp wrote:
Kaiba wrote:I disagree with maxing MSTs. Decks aren't using as many backrows these days (See anything Lightsworn), and the ones that do, the backrows are almost all chainable. MST is pretty shit now.

I couldn't agree with this more. I side out my MSTs all the time now. They are just so useless against so many decks now. It still has its uses, but 3 is overkill IMO.

7) After 10 games, it's time to cover your deck's weaknesses and exploit it's strengths, and modify it with new support cards. During this time, you should already have taken out at least 5 cards, and replaced them with something more useful.
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-09-18, 20:29

1. Hero decks tend to be under 15, it doesn't need a lot of monsters
2. Six Sams tend to go over 15 easily, most of the time it has a lot of monsters
3. You're suppose to duel people with higher level than you do
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 20:38

Key wrote:1. Hero decks tend to be under 15, it doesn't need a lot of monsters
2. Six Sams tend to go over 15 easily, most of the time it has a lot of monsters
3. You're suppose to duel people with higher level than you do

Hero decks tend to be under 15? They depend on fusioning. If you got under 15 you are limited to which to fusion for in your extra deck.

Six Sams tend to go over 15 easily? I ran Six Sams at a max of 16 and it was very consistent. Out of 10 duels I ended up winning 8 times.

No, you're suppose to duel with people at YOUR level. If you duel people over your level you will get discouraged with about the losses and eventually quit. You're basically saying 100 ratings with 0 rep has to duel 1000 ratings with (insert rep) rep. ._. You don't think the newbies are going to quit eventually if they had to beat 1000 raters?
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-09-18, 20:47

You need more than 10 games to get a feel for what your deck needs to change
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 20:54

Hmm... I guess you're right on that Pox. I guess I was wrong on it. I'll change it to 25.
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-09-18, 20:54

Shuno of the Fallen wrote:
Hero decks tend to be under 15? They depend on fusioning. If you got under 15 you are limited to which to fusion for in your extra deck.

Six Sams tend to go over 15 easily? I ran Six Sams at a max of 16 and it was very consistent. Out of 10 duels I ended up winning 8 times.

No, you're suppose to duel with people at YOUR level. If you duel people over your level you will get discouraged with about the losses and eventually quit. You're basically saying 100 ratings with 0 rep has to duel 1000 ratings with (insert rep) rep. ._. You don't think the newbies are going to quit eventually if they had to beat 1000 raters?

So you're saying the majority of Sams doesn't synchro or have access to extra deck as well?
Six Sams synchro summoning have acess to more monster than a hero deck having acess to a fusion monster.

By dueling people with higher potential, you are capable of discovering ways to get out of certain situations, thus making you be familiar with your deck more.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-18, 21:06

So you're saying the majority of Sams doesn't synchro or have access to extra deck as well?
Six Sams synchro summoning have acess to more monster than a hero deck having acess to a fusion monster.

By dueling people with higher potential, you are capable of discovering ways to get out of certain situations, thus making you be familiar with your deck more.

Like I told you on DN chat, they usually synchro 2-3 if they use Shogun or that Counselor monster. They don't need 18 monsters as you suggested on DN chat. The MAX I've seen anyone sync with Six samurai monsters were 6 and that was me vs another Six Sam user.

I will say this again, if you have less ehero monsters, you are likely to be restrained to a lot of your fusion monsters in extra deck.

If you duel higher rating people and have absolutely no experience whatsoever, you're going to think you suck and eventually quit the game. I dueled with my friend who was fairly new to Yugioh with my scrap quasar deck and he just rage quit cause I kept getting out Quasar on him. First game I got BRD, Quasar, BLS, and a dandy tokenout on him in one turn. Neutral I had trish on the field, but he came way before the others. However, dueling someone at your level, and almost winning or win will encourage you to play. No one's going to play a game that they will never beat.

Edit: No dandy lion token.
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2011-09-18, 21:13

Your guide doesn't seem to be doing to well. Probably because you talk about it like it's an exact science.

There isn't a certain number of duels with a deck that tells you what to keep and what to take out.

I can figure out what to change after 1 duel or after 50. I did the latter just a bit ago, actually.

Last edited by Kaiba on 2011-09-18, 23:12; edited 1 time in total
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-09-18, 21:55

Like I told you on DN chat, they usually synchro 2-3 if they use Shogun or that Counselor monster. They don't need 18 monsters as you suggested on DN chat. The MAX I've seen anyone sync with Six samurai monsters were 6 and that was me vs another Six Sam user.
A previous meta Six Sam deck does not use Shien or Counselor.
They synchro for Shi En, and if opponent get rid of it, they go for another one.
Let me give you an example:
If a person activates Polymerization sending Stratos and Alius as fusion materials, then they only have access to Elemental Hero The Shining or Elemental Hero Great Tornado.

However, when a Six Sam player uses Kagemusha and Elder to synchro for lv 5, he has access to Catastor, Shi En, Librarian, or even Naturia Beast.

They may not be able to summon them all, but they have the potential to access more than the Hero deck.

I will say this again, if you have less ehero monsters, you are likely to be restrained to a lot of your fusion monsters in extra deck.
Sadly that's how it is.
Due to the fusion mechanics, that you need a certain fusion card to summon a fusion monster, those cards take up spaces. Including the original staples you should have in a deck, adding those fusion cards would need to decrease on the amount of monsters. Hero have so many staples S/T that it's not going to function too well if you don't run them.
If you duel higher rating people and have absolutely no experience whatsoever, you're going to think you suck and eventually quit the game. I dueled with my friend who was fairly new to Yugioh with my scrap quasar deck and he just rage quit cause I kept getting out Quasar on him. First game I got BRD, Quasar, BLS, and a dandy tokenout on him in one turn. Neutral I had trish on the field, but he came way before the others. However, dueling someone at your level, and almost winning or win will encourage you to play. No one's going to play a game that they will never beat.
Encouragement isn't directly related to how a deck functions well or not. It may affect it, but not directly.

As well, dueling higher level players, they can help you at times to guide you and give you tips, that encourages way more than just winning.

Because if you kept on winning, then suddenly you started dueling higher level and never win again, that fall you're taking is huge.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-19, 18:11

They synchro for Shi En, and if opponent get rid of it, they go for another one.
If a person activates Polymerization sending Stratos and Alius as fusion materials, then they only have access to Elemental Hero The Shining or Elemental Hero Great Tornado.

However, when a Six Sam player uses Kagemusha and Elder to synchro for lv 5, he has access to Catastor, Shi En, Librarian, or even Naturia Beast.

They may not be able to summon them all, but they have the potential to access more than the Hero deck.

Why would they just synchro after the destroyed 1st shien for a 2nd instead of having both on the field? You're suppose to lock down your opponent's backrow with them. And even if you're going to say "Oh, I meant a monster card that would destroyed the first one" making a 2nd one is foolish without lance/some sort of decrease ATK spell/trap card. Personally, in my opinion, it's better to go Shien, Naturia, Backrion.

That's if they only have 2 monsters in their hand due to the fact they had less monsters. If they had Fusion Gate they would be able to do more combos with more monsters. Not just monsters from the hand, but from the field as well. Also, why didn't they just normal summon the Stratos and search for ANOTHER E-hero?

Due to the fusion mechanics, that you need a certain fusion card to summon a fusion monster, those cards take up spaces. Including the original staples you should have in a deck, adding those fusion cards would need to decrease on the amount of monsters. Hero have so many staples S/T that it's not going to function too well if you don't run them.

Again, Fusion Gate. Though you may not always have it, it will open up a lot of strategy. 3 heros in hand. Ocean, Woodsman, Sparksman. Go Ocean and Woodsman first and then get out Zero. Then go Zero with Sparksman for Shining. Not only did you get rid of your opponent's monsters, but you also get yourself a 3800 beatstick. It'd be more if there were more monsters in RFG later in game. It's not just S/T, but monsters also Key.

Encouragement isn't directly related to how a deck functions well or not. It may affect it, but not directly.

As well, dueling higher level players, they can help you at times to guide you and give you tips, that encourages way more than just winning.

Because if you kept on winning, then suddenly you started dueling higher level and never win again, that fall you're taking is huge.

I never said it affects the deck build. I said that they will eventually quit if they keep losing against higherups. And Key, this is a guide for those who are starting out, not those who have been in the game for a long time, but never played competitively. Higherups can also swear and call them noobs for not knowing their rulings and how to play.

YOu duel someone at YOUR level. Your level never remains the same. Of course you're going to duel people higher and higher depending on your level. You never stay at the same level.

Your guide doesn't seem to be doing to well. Probably because you talk about it like it's an exact science.

There isn't a certain number of duels with a deck that tells you what to keep and what to take out.

I can figure out what to change after 1 duel or after 50. I did the latter just a bit ago, actually.

Science is never exact. If you think that then alright, but someone else thought it was actually helpful.

After one duel you are still going to question about other cards. Not just one. The more likely you are to duel, the more you are to be sure about certain cards. Also, you don't even go through a whole deck through 1 duel... Unless it's some sort of Exodia FTK.
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-09-19, 19:28

Why would they just synchro after the destroyed 1st shien for a 2nd instead of having both on the field? You're suppose to lock down your opponent's backrow with them. And even if you're going to say "Oh, I meant a monster card that would destroyed the first one" making a 2nd one is foolish without lance/some sort of decrease ATK spell/trap card. Personally, in my opinion, it's better to go Shien, Naturia, Backrion.
I have my reasons for it, but since it's out of the topic, I won't get to it.
That's if they only have 2 monsters in their hand due to the fact they had less monsters. If they had Fusion Gate they would be able to do more combos with more monsters. Not just monsters from the hand, but from the field as well. Also, why didn't they just normal summon the Stratos and search for ANOTHER E-hero?
It doesn't change any fact. If you're going to run Fusion Gate, the you're most likely running Terraforming at 2. That takes up 5 spaces already. Sure, it can do more than the 3 Polymerization, but again, limits more monsters.

Again, Fusion Gate. Though you may not always have it, it will open up a lot of strategy. 3 heros in hand. Ocean, Woodsman, Sparksman. Go Ocean and Woodsman first and then get out Zero. Then go Zero with Sparksman for Shining. Not only did you get rid of your opponent's monsters, but you also get yourself a 3800 beatstick. It'd be more if there were more monsters in RFG later in game. It's not just S/T, but monsters also Key.
Not relating to topic, so I won't get to it.

I never said it affects the deck build. I said that they will eventually quit if they keep losing against higherups. And Key, this is a guide for those who are starting out, not those who have been in the game for a long time, but never played competitively. Higherups can also swear and call them noobs for not knowing their rulings and how to play.

YOu duel someone at YOUR level. Your level never remains the same. Of course you're going to duel people higher and higher depending on your level. You never stay at the same level.
Ok, so assuming you're just starting out and you got your basic rulings prepared. But you're dueling someone who's at the same level as you are (So opponent is also just starting to get into the game). Then BOOM! Suddenly you ran into a ruling that isn't so basic anymore, and because the situation is so specific, there's no general "looking up" and finding answers; what do you do then? You simply rule the way you think it's the most proper, which leads to wrong ruling issues. You start to think about the ruling you "assumed" and start thinking how to do certain things with this and that, by the later times, you realize your ruling is wrong in the first place to start out, thus causing you way more than it would have if you were to duel a more experienced player.

And then again, more experienced player gives you hints, suggestions, because this is only play testing. If you're dueling someone at your own level, they don't know enough about your deck, probably not even his/her own to give a descent suggestion.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-19, 19:44

Key, we've been doing nothing but getting off topic.

"Ok, so assuming you're just starting out and you got your basic rulings prepared. But you're dueling someone who's at the same level as you are (So opponent is also just starting to get into the game). Then BOOM! Suddenly you ran into a ruling that isn't so basic anymore, and because the situation is so specific, there's no general "looking up" and finding answers; what do you do then? You simply rule the way you think it's the most proper, which leads to wrong ruling issues. You start to think about the ruling you "assumed" and start thinking how to do certain things with this and that, by the later times, you realize your ruling is wrong in the first place to start out, thus causing you way more than it would have if you were to duel a more experienced player.

And then again, more experienced player gives you hints, suggestions, because this is only play testing. If you're dueling someone at your own level, they don't know enough about your deck, probably not even his/her own to give a descent suggestion."

You can always google it? And if you actually do get into an issue you can always contact a mod. I think you would agree that you should search on something before going on about something you don't know anything about.
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-09-19, 19:56

"and because the situation is so specific, there's no general "looking up" and finding answers"

So if this is going to be taken place on DN, how can you possibly find people at your own level in the first place
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2011-09-19, 20:34

Oh boy.... HERO discussion

How to: Build a Solid Deck Th_i-am-monitoring-this-thread

You guys make it sounds like HERO is a tier 1 deck Laughing
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  Shuno of the Fallen 2011-09-20, 16:49

Key wrote:"and because the situation is so specific, there's no general "looking up" and finding answers"

So if this is going to be taken place on DN, how can you possibly find people at your own level in the first place

Duel tag, check rating/rep and ask if there are anyone new on DN from the public chat?
Shuno of the Fallen
Shuno of the Fallen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down