Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game

+9
nimmons
Alan Grimmstone
DarkRiku
Goddess nX
thehostplayer
megaman97897
Kaiza
3E-hero neos
Brutality
13 posters

Go down

Do you think Konami is doing the right thing?

The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_lcap21%The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_lcap64%The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 9 ]
The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_lcap14%The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Empty The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game

Post  Brutality 2012-02-26, 17:43

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels as if Konami is turning a fun card game that challenged creativity, and where every deck had a chance, into something like "Pay to win."

My first speculation of this is the new ban list, being released in a little under 4 days, I believe. Konami did not eliminate any problems in the current metagame aside from Plants (Wind-Ups, Inzektors, Dino Rabbits, etc.). And technically, Agents still seem playable.

I now realize that this isn't a ban list that is about maintaining a fair metagame. The entire ban list is about money. Think about it. Why else wouldn't they hit cards like Wind-Up Rat, Inzektor Hornet, Rescue Rabbit or other cards that are completely ruining the fun of the game? All Konami cares about is money. They basically said this when they confirmed the new format: "We don't care about the players. We want money. Buy our new Xyz cards. Spend over $1k on an Xyz deck."

The fact that 3 decks are going to completely define the March 2012 format saddens me. I don't play Wind-Ups, Inzektors or Dino Rabbits. I am a budget player who can't afford expensive cards such as Zenmaines, Tour Guide, Maxx "C" and other stupid cards like that.

Another thing about this format that bothers me is the rarity of cards in packs that are being released lately. For example, let's have a look at Tour Guide of the Underworld and Wind-Up Zenmaines, two of the most popular and, in many people's opinions, "abused" cards in today's meta. They are both about $100 or over. And, they are both secret rare cards.[b] You have a 1 in 24 chance of pulling a secret rare in every single pack you buy. And, many say these cards are "short print."

Are you f***ing kidding me? Short print secret rares?

All Konami cares about is profits.
Brutality
Brutality

Birthday : 1998-10-23

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gibbus43

Back to top Go down

The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Empty Re: The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-02-26, 18:23

Another person who totally got it.

Konami is horney on money these days, oh well, at least we'll know what to side for the entire format.....Until Konami makes stuff that can surpass the power of Inzektor and WU all together....
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Birthday : 1995-06-08

Back to top Go down

The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game Empty Re: The Future of Yu-Gi-Oh and why Konami is killing the game

Post  Brutality 2012-02-26, 18:25

3E-hero neos wrote:Another person who totally got it.

Is that a good thing? o.o
Brutality
Brutality

Birthday : 1998-10-23

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gibbus43

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiza 2012-02-26, 19:12

by all means its not. But, we still play it so it says something

all we can do is wait for september
Kaiza
Kaiza

Birthday : 1991-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-02-27, 13:54

Brutality wrote:
3E-hero neos wrote:Another person who totally got it.

Is that a good thing? o.o

For the game it's not...
But I'm glad you get that Konami has this logic nowadays:
MONEY.....!!!! >> care about the OCG > don't care about the TCG > done.

3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Birthday : 1995-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  megaman97897 2012-02-28, 08:56

I understand what you're saying, and agree for the most part, but i don't agree that wind-up rat is ruining the fun of the game, and it's not carrier that ruining it either, it's WIND-UP HUNTER that's ruining the fun of the game, and i am a budget player myself so i understand the pain there even moreso since i had the worst day at the sneak peek for pshw, i was given $20 as a christmas present to spend on something at the sneak peek, and i really wanted the sw reprints so i bought a tin, got gippppppppppped! My friend bought the one behind me and pulled tour guide, tengu, and orient in the tin, then on top of that i got my other friend a second entry into the sneak peek and pulled him a zenmaines! Mad
megaman97897
megaman97897

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 09:23

I agree completely, but don't act suprised...Think about it. Look at almost any format. Mill out a few uber-rare cards, sell them for LOADS and sell loads of packs. When new cards come out, ban the old ones that are devaluing and reprint them to sell more of the newer packs in order to get reprints, therefore making more money out of the same card.

Cycle continues.

Don't be suprised, but if you keep playing the game, you have to deal with this.

I definitely feel Ban-lists prior have been a bit more structured than this one, but we'll be saying the same thing in September...And in a years time...and next september...You get the drift.
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Birthday : 1990-12-04

http://thehostplayer.jimdo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiza 2012-02-28, 11:41

if it helps, wind up decks only need 1 hunter

so its either ban it or forget about it, as 1 is enough
Kaiza
Kaiza

Birthday : 1991-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Goddess nX 2012-02-28, 11:57

There better be emergency bans, or else im stuck thinking about how to make my herobeats more competitive as it is.
Goddess nX
Goddess nX
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Birthday : 1993-11-09

https://facebook.com/ladydaree

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 12:18

Goddess nX wrote:There better be emergency bans, or else im stuck thinking about how to make my herobeats more competitive as it is.

I doubt there will be, Konami doesn't care about the game that much.
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2012-02-28, 12:24

It really is just not Konami that drives the price of cards up. The secondary market drives up the prices as well.

No matter how much we complain about what is going on people still buy their products so nothing changes.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 12:31

DarkRiku wrote:It really is just not Konami that drives the price of cards up. The secondary market drives up the prices as well.

No matter how much we complain about what is going on people still buy their products so nothing changes.

In a nutshell.

No card, in essence is worth more than any other- it has no real value, just a percieved value - and it isn't about rarity either. Some of the rarest cards in the game are worth nothing because nobody in their right mind would pay a dime for them.

It's all supply and demand - if the demand is high, they can raise the prices. If the demand is low, they have to give us a reason to spend our money.
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grimmstone 2012-02-28, 12:54

Before I ever read this post, I posted one of my own that gets at the same point as what I believe you are trying to say here. Here is a link. http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t16503-i-remember
Alan Grimmstone
Alan Grimmstone

Birthday : 1991-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nimmons 2012-02-28, 15:44

I will say that the game has gotten more expensive to play competitively but I don't think Konami is "Killing the game." People have been saying that they were doing that since the first synchs and if you haven't noticed, the game is still around.

It's simply a matter of figuring out how to play in the new Meta. Back in the old days, hand advantage wasn't a big deal. If you had a good field with a few big monsters you were fine but if you told someone they could win with that now they would most likely call you stupid and walk away.

To sum it up, the game is changing again and there will be some people that don't like it. Do I wish wind-ups, dino rabbit, and inzectors would have taken a hit? Yes. But they didn't so we just have to roll with it and figure out how to make decks work.

I mean if a budget T.G. stun deck was able to win YCS than I think we can still play in this format lol.
nimmons
nimmons

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-02-28, 16:32

i dont know where you read the game is dying out but i think it just a rumor

i didnt read anything about sales dropping drastically , where did you read anything like it?
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 16:36

It's indeed survival of the fittest - they need to keep evolving the game for it to survive.
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  nimmons 2012-02-28, 16:42

thehostplayer wrote:It's indeed survival of the fittest - they need to keep evolving the game for it to survive.

+1 for you sir.
nimmons
nimmons

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-02-28, 17:12

true he has my vote too
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  S.S.A. 2012-02-28, 17:17

thehostplayer wrote:It's indeed survival of the fittest - they need to keep evolving the game for it to survive.

definition of power creep
S.S.A.
S.S.A.

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 17:19

Thanks guys.

I'm not pretending I didn't love the good ol' days of Summoned Skull as my main card along with 20 blue eyes (Yes, really, I didn't have a clue how to play the game properly), but if we were still playing the old game with fusions and about 3 rituals in the game, it would've gone stale by now.

I both love and hate this game now as I did then, some formats there's more BS than others - In a years time we'll love this format.

I used to Hate TeleDAD, I look fondly on it now...Says it all I suppose.

S.S.A. wrote:

I couldn't possibly pretend to understand what you are implying...

Last edited by DarkRiku on 2012-02-28, 18:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double post)
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  nimmons 2012-02-28, 17:23

thehostplayer wrote:Thanks guys.

I'm not pretending I didn't love the good ol' days of Summoned Skull as my main card along with 20 blue eyes (Yes, really, I didn't have a clue how to play the game properly), but if we were still playing the old game with fusions and about 3 rituals in the game, it would've gone stale by now.

I both love and hate this game now as I did then, some formats there's more BS than others - In a years time we'll love this format.

I used to Hate TeleDAD, I look fondly on it now...Says it all I suppose.

If it was the same as it was back then we would all be playing MTG or Pokemon by now.
nimmons
nimmons

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-02-28, 17:34

TL;DR: Boo hoo boo hoo, Wind-Ups and Rabbit are to good and konami only wants us to buy expensive cards

Reality Check: The game has always been like this. Remember September 2008? For those that don't, this was the beginning of the synchro era, and the meta decks were lightsworn, blackwing, and zombies, and konami was slow to hit them (especially lightsworn). Everyone complained that in order to win, you had to buy lightsworns (allmost all of which are super rare or higher) zombies (back when mezuki was like $80.00) and Blackwings (The "budget" deck of the format, which still needed DaD, Vayu, and all the synchros). People complained about how only a few decks were topping almost every tournament, and that the game lacks customization, and that konami was ruining yugioh. That was nearly 3 years ago, and not only has the game survived, it has thrived

additionally, for all of those who complain how broken wind-ups and inzektors are, remember this: Not only have wind-up's and inzektors totaled for 0 YCS victories, but in the last YCS in Germany(?) inzektors had 4 tops and wind-ups had 2. In the YCS before that, inzekors only had 2 tops.

Just think about that

Last edited by Phoenix Wright on 2012-02-28, 19:31; edited 1 time in total
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  nimmons 2012-02-28, 17:37

Phoenix Wright wrote:TL;DR: Boo hoo boo hoo, Wind-Ups and Rabbit are to good and konami only wants us to buy expensive cards

Reality Check: The game has always been like this. Remember September 2008? For those that don't, this was the beginning of the synchro era, and the meta decks were lightsworn, blackwing, and zombies, and konami was slow to hit them (especially lightsworn). Everyone complained that in order to win, you had to buy lightsworns (allmost all of which are super rare or higher) zombies (back when mezuki was like $80.00) and Blackwings (The "budget" deck of the format, which still needed DaD, Vayu, and all the synchros). People complained about how only a few decks were topping almost every tournament, and that the game lacks customization, and that konami was ruining yugioh. That was nearly 3 years ago, and not only has the game survived, it has thrived

Yet another +1!!!!
nimmons
nimmons

Back to top Go down

Post  S.S.A. 2012-02-28, 17:48

thehostplayer wrote:
S.S.A. wrote:

your post, defines power creep
S.S.A.
S.S.A.

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 17:53

S.S.A. wrote:
thehostplayer wrote:
S.S.A. wrote:

your post, defines power creep

thehostplayer wrote:I couldn't possibly pretend to understand what you are implying...

thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  storyteller 2012-02-28, 18:25

Power creep: cards get stronger over time so that we stop using the older cards and turn to the newer cards.

As I've always been saying, don't like the game, quit.
While I don't exactly approve of the new format myself, most of us accept it and move on.
If you can't find it within yourself to accept what most others have, you should just quit.

And last I checked, Zekts and Winds STILL haven't won a YCS.
storyteller
storyteller

Birthday : 1991-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  thehostplayer 2012-02-28, 18:30

storyteller wrote:Power creep: cards get stronger over time so that we stop using the older cards and turn to the newer cards.

As I've always been saying, don't like the game, quit.
While I don't exactly approve of the new format myself, most of us accept it and move on.
If you can't find it within yourself to accept what most others have, you should just quit.

And last I checked, Zekts and Winds STILL haven't won a YCS.

Fair point amigo!
thehostplayer
thehostplayer

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2012-02-28, 18:38

Phoenix Wright wrote:TL;DR: Boo hoo boo hoo, Wind-Ups and Rabbit are to good and konami only wants us to buy expensive cards

And this cycle continues to this day. That is what helps keep the game going even if some people don't realize it. The game continues to evolve instead of just always staying the same thing. This game wouldn't have lasted as long as it has if the game just stayed where who had the highest attacking monster on the field.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-02-28, 19:26

Exactly, Yugioh was actually starting to decline in the months leading up to the introduction of synchro monsters, monarchs were untouchable, and the game was getting boring without any fresh ideas

new, broken cards and game mechanics are what keeps yugioh going

and concerning the fact that good cards are expensive.....in any activity that you do, the best item/food/organism will be the most expensive, that's just basic supply and demand
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down