Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[How to] Properly reading card texts

+8
Phraxure
Red_Chaos
Tcbskater
Adept VantageSP
hafizh13
Miror B.
OverlordMMM
dest
12 posters

Go down

[How to] Properly reading card texts Empty [How to] Properly reading card texts

Post  dest 2011-09-28, 16:35

Table of contents:
    1. Introduction

2. Summon mechanics and summoning conditions
      2.1 Nomi
      2.2 Semi-Nomi (Special summon only monsters)
      2.3 Normal Summon Monsters
      2.4 Everything else...

3. Destroyed by Battle
    4. Send vs Destroy/Discard
    5. Dark World monsters
    6. Negate something vs Prevent to do something
    7. Optional parts of effects

8. Recognizing effect types
      8.1 Continuous effects
      8.2 Trigger effects
      8.3 Quick effects
      8.4 Ignition effects
      8.5 Summoning Conditions
      8.6 Maintenance cost

9. Where do cards activate?
    10. Summary

1. Introduction
Once uppon a time someone said: about 90% of the ruling questions can be answered by just properly reading the card text...
Hi, this time I don't want to talk that much about rulings themself, but more about how to figure out rulings just by reading the cards properly. Sometimes you really have to look very carefully on what the card does in order to figgure out the ruling mechanic behind it. There is very much text in cards that keeps repeating itself and with that help you can easily recognize verious effects, conditions and rulings. Now lets begin...

2. Summon mechanics and summoning conditions
The thing most of you might know, but trust me: There are enough players who don't...

2.1 Nomi
Those cards can't be summoned. At all*. EXCEPT BY the way stated on the card text. So just read carefully and remember these lines of text, one of these will be on such Nomi cards:
--> This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by [...] (standard text on most)
--> Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must be Special Summoned by its own effect, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (only on some of the latest printed cards)
In addition to those 2 there are some monsters from the extra deck that also have the restriction. Those can be recognized by the term
--> This monster/card cannot be Special Summoned except by Fusion/Synchro Summon.
Perhaps we'll see some of such in xyz form in the future, I'm quite sure they'll have the same wording, only xyz instead of Fusion/Synchro.
In general, if you see a summoning condition and it contains the words "cannot" AND "except by" in the description of its special summon it is a Nomi.

*There is 1 exception to that rule: Cards that state "ignoring the summoning conditions" can special summon them when they were properly summoned before.

2.2 Semi-Nomi (Special summon only monsters)
Those cards can't be normal summoned and can ONLY be special summoned from the grave/banished zone when they where properly summoned first by the way written on their card text. They can't be special summoned from the MAIN deck. Pay good attention to the text, it is quite similar to Nomi. But there are clear differences:
--> This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by [...] (standard text on most)
--> Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by [...] (only on some of the latest printed cards)
What about about cards from the EXTRA deck? They are at least considered this type of monsters, no matter what their card text says. There is only that exception that some of them are nomi monsters, see above. In contrast to the main deck, you can special summon monsters from the extra deck aside from their usual required summon. Note that is is not a proper fusion/synchro summon then!
In general, the big difference to Nomi is the word "only" and the missing "cannot" and "except". In the latest card text the key word is "first".

2.3 Normal Summon Monsters
Those can be special summoned from anywhere and any time, with no restrictions and no exceptions. Recognizing them? They don't state any summoning condition. At all.^^

2.4 Everything else...
There are some monsters which have summoning conditions but don't fit in any of the above paragraphs. That is because key words might be missing or they state only half of the above conditions.
First let's take a look at monsters that I'd like to call "also special summon monsters". That are cards like Cyber Dragon that state, that they can be special summoned but they also can be normal summoned. The part that is missing here is:
--> This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set.
If that is missing the monster is also a normal summon monster and can therefore be special summoned by any way, even if it wasn't properly summoned before.
Next let's have a look at some monster like Wulf. Its text says:
--> This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.
Sounds quite similar to Semi Nomi monsters, but it has a huge difference: The "only" is missing. And that puts it in a completely defferent cathegory. Despite not being able to be normal summoned those monsters have every other right to be special summoned by any ways, just like normal summon monsters.
Next we'll go to the extra deck. A common sentence which is often confused with the term for Nomis in the extra deck is:
--> A Fusion Summon of this card can only be conducted with the above Fusion Material Monsters.
That thing only restricts Fusion summons. But you are free to special summon them with cards like the hex sealed fusion effects.
There is only 1 type left now: the "no special summon" monsters, for example Ancient Gear Golem. Those simply state, that they can't be special summoned, so... just keep at that. Note, that those monsters also don't need to be summoned properly in order to be summoned by special effects, like the golem from its ultimate form.

3. Destroyed by Battle
Here I'll talk about the big difference between 2 quite similar terms:
--> destroyed by battle
--> destroyed by battle and sent to the graveyard
Don't confuse those 2 terms. Also read the paragraph in my ruling thread for further information.
I think that should clear everything. About the "why are the rulings like that": Just think of the Breakdown of the Battle Phase. The monster reaches the state of destruction in substep 4, while effects are resolved in substep 6 and monsters go to the grave in substep 7. Despite the fact that both monster types activate their effect at the same time (substep 7) they trigger differently. When a card only says "destroy by battle" it triggers at substep 4, so before flip effects like ryko can destroy it. Cards that also require to send to the grave also trigger at substep 7 and so are no longer on the field when destroyed by ryko.

4. Send vs Destroy/Discard
Well... not too much to say here, just pay attention what the card actually says:
--> send to the grave
--> destroy
--> discard
Example: Dark End Dragon sends cards to the grave and does not destroy them. Stardust can't negate that.
Another example: Hand destruction says "send to grave" not discard. Dark World monsters are not triggered by that effect.
While all those terms do the same thing in general (monster ends up in grave) it is improtant for certain effects like in the examples above, to know that they differ.

5. Dark World monsters
Just writing this so that everyone may get some time, that they just have to read the effects properly:
--> If this card is discarded from the hand to the Graveyard by a card effect
in order to actually know that those effects don't work when discarded as a cost, only by EFFECTS... -.-
For a help to notice when a text describes a cost or an effect click me (go down to cost) Smile.

6. Negate something vs Prevent to do something
While those 2 terms essentially do similar things (locking down) they have their important differences.
When a card like Horus/Naturia Beast/-Barkion/Necrovalley negates you still can play the card. For whatever reason, there might be strategys that use spells and traps in grave... so you can still play monster reborn with necrovalley on the field but it is negated then...
--> just look for "negate"
Preventing something to do just does what it says... it prevents actions to happen. So effects/cards of that affected type can't be activated. Common "i prevent" phrases:
--> cannot activate [effects/card]
--> neither player can [insert action]
--> each player can only (example: rilvalry of warlords/gozen match)
Note that such effects also prevent you from starting stated action. So you can't tribute krystia for Lava Golem for example. Or you can't synchro a brionac with plaguespreader and zombie master when gozen/rivalry is on the field, even if they would have gone before he is summoned.

7. Optional parts of effects / not certain effects
There are some cards with effects that are part mandatory and part optional. Pay attention to the optional effects, specially when combinied with effects that prevent something.
Optional effects are easily recognized by:
--> [...]you can[...]
but surprisingly always overlooked when a mandatory effect comes first in the card. So here are some examples in which that really becomes important:
1) Stardust vs Magical Dimension -> Dimensions Destruction is optional and as that not negateable by stardust.
2) Mysterious Triangle vs Kristya/Fossil Dyna -> Summon is optional, so you may activate it. You can destroy Kristya/Fossil Dyna and then special summon.
3) Virus vs Stardust Dragon -> If a Virus is activated and nothing that would be affected by the Virus is visable on the field then destruction is not certain. As such stardust dragon can't be chained to the virus.

8. Recognizing effect types
Does an effect start a chain? When and how it is applied/activated?

8.1 Continuous effects
Those do not start a chain. They are applied as soon as the monster hits the field, before anything can be activated. A common phrase is:
--> while this card remains/is face-up on the field
Please note, that some effects like T.G. Hyper Librarian must remain face up on the field for their effect to resolve and as such also have that sentence, while not being continuous. In question, just look for the rulings^^
Cards that often need to apply their effect in the middle of a chain like Meltiel, Sage of the Sky, Layard the Liberator or Six Samurai monsters (every card that does something instead[/i] of destroying the monster) are also continuous. Some of those continuous effects like Spirit Reaper for example may sound more like a (madatory) trigger effect first, so be carefull. If you are unsure, just look at the card rulings, those usually give you more hints on the effect type (either stating it directly or giving information at what time the effect is applied).
You also can recognize them by just using your brain and common sense^^
--> Does the effect start an action or is that just something that keeps being active?
Example: Breakers "I gain +300 att from my counter" is continuous.

[b]8.2 Trigger effects

Those start a chain. You can't activate trigger effects when you wish, they first have to meet the conditions stated on the card text. Common phrases are:
--> When/If [this happens], do [that] (mandatory trigger)
--> If [this happens], you can do [that] (optional if trigger)
--> When [this happens], you can do [that] (optional when trigger)
Note, only optional "when trigger" can miss the timing.
If an effect has also attributes of a continuous effect he most propably is one.
EXCEPTION:
Arcana Force Ex - The dark Ruler. It is a continuous effect. Why? Well, since the coin toss does no longer apply when in grave it wouldn't be able to trigger there. So they just bkss as continuous...

8.3 Quick effects
This is a simple one. Everything that:
--> Negates a card
--> must be chained to a card
--> states "can be activated on either players/opponents turn"
--> states that it can be activated during a phase other that main phase
is a quick effect. Note that those can be activated infinitly in the same chain, as long as you can pay the cost (or it wouldn't chain to itself infinitly due to it, like LaDD).
Now you might wonder, and yes it is true: LaDD (and Doomcaliber) is a quick effect, not a trigger. It only acts like one by activating atomaticly when the condition is met.
Note, that quick effects that negate something can also be used in the damage step (for example Koa'ki Meiru Guardian vs Gorz, Stardust Dragon vs Ryko etc).
Note that an effect that has also the characteristics of a trigger effect in addition to the phrases above is actually really a trigger instead of a quick effect (except if the effect chains to something).

8.4 Ignition effects
Those activate when you want to, but only in your Main Phase. Those often state:
--> once per turn
--> during your main phase
--> do [this] to do [another thing]
--> activate by [do cost] to [do something]
--> [do something] by [do cost]
Note, that any effect which does not have the "once per turn" restriction really can be used more than once per turn. Also note, that an effect that has the characteristics of a trigger or quick effect in addition to those above is actually a trigger/quick effect.
UNUSUAL IGNITION EFFECT:
VWXYZ-Dragon Catapult Cannon MUST use his ignition effect if there is a target on the opponents side of the field.

8.5 Summoning Conditions
As explained in 2., there are some different kinds of summoning. But how to recognize a summoning condition? Well, usually anything that states:
--> (do [this] to special) summon the monster
--> you can summon the monster by/without tributes/etc
is a summon contition. Note that this does only apply for summons from the hand, not from the grave.
Also note the difference between inherent summons and effect summons. Mostly effect summons are trigger effects and can be easily recognized as those (compare the trigger effect paragraph above with cards like meklords/gorz/tragoedia). That difference plays an important role when it comes to summon negation.
EXCEPTIONS:
Birdman and Dark Simorgh are currently the only monsters which are an ignition effect insteat of an actual inherent special summon. Don't ask me why though...
Grapha is the only monster whose summon from the grave is an inherent special summon instead of an effect.
Dragunity arma Leyvaten and Machina Fortress can also special summon themselfes from the grave as an inherent summon.

8.6 Maintenance cost
Ever wondered what type of effect all the Koa'ki Meirus have? Here you are^^
And now I'm sure you all know that those can be recognized by sentences like:
--> [do something terrible] unless you [do something other terrible]... (usually keeping your monster when you do the other thing)
There are also other monsters which have maintenance costs. Remember much archfiends?:
--> The controller of this card pays [something, usually life points]
--> (this is not optional) -> that is sometimes stated if you don't have a choice.
There are also a few spells/traps that have that kind of cost.
Note that those costs can't be negated. So even if the card effect is negated (skill drain/royal decree) you still have to pay the maintance costs.

9. Where do cards activate?
Again, this can be easily solved by looking at the card text. If you are not sure if an effect activates on the field or outside of the field just remember these:
--> When this card leaves/is removed from the field
--> When this card is destroyed
--> When this card is (destroyed and) sent to the grave/removed from play (banished)
If the text states any of these the effects activate outside of the field. Else they are activated on the field.

10. Summary
Read the f****** card!!!
Yes, it is as simple as that. I hope I listed everything which is able to be generalized here, if you think something is missing here, just state it. Perhaps I'll think about adding it Smile

Last edited by dest on 2012-01-24, 11:03; edited 6 times in total
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

[How to] Properly reading card texts Empty Re: [How to] Properly reading card texts

Post  OverlordMMM 2011-09-29, 23:01

I really like this article. I just hope people can understand that it can apply to all sort of oddball cards.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

[How to] Properly reading card texts Empty Re: [How to] Properly reading card texts

Post  Miror B. 2011-11-06, 02:39

About summon conditions, Leyvaten is a summon condition from the hand OR graveyard. It isn't really an exception, just something a bit different.

Also think you should not about mandatory ignition effects. Only card I can think of is the VWXYZ fusion, and that if your opponent controls a card, you MUST banish a card before the End Phase. Just the example, doesn't really hurt you much lol Razz
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  hafizh13 2011-11-06, 11:56

wow..this article is really helpful..thanks Very Happy
hafizh13
hafizh13

Birthday : 1996-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2011-11-06, 12:36

I just realized something which should either be added here or in another thread.

Mandatory monster effects can only activate once in a chain to prevent loops.

Also, End Phase effects work once per monster (multiple copies are needed for multiple activations of this kind of effect).
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-11-06, 20:45

OverlordMMM wrote:Mandatory monster effects can only activate once in a chain to prevent loops
That ruling only applies to LADD since it would just double back and negate itself. Don't know what other mandatory monster effects you could be talking about.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-11-16, 19:12

hu, totally forgot to look for this^^

Miror B. wrote:About summon conditions, Leyvaten is a summon condition from the hand OR graveyard. It isn't really an exception, just something a bit different.

Also think you should not about mandatory ignition effects. Only card I can think of is the VWXYZ fusion, and that if your opponent controls a card, you MUST banish a card before the End Phase. Just the example, doesn't really hurt you much lol Razz
mandatory ignition... I didn't even know that it is madatory, thanks for the info^^
I'll build that in, also Leyvaten and Machina Fortress which are inherent summons that also work from the grave and not only from the hand.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-11-16, 19:15

I really do wish people would read there cards... I really dislike getting calls that could have easily been solved by a quick google search or READING THE CARD.

Nice guide btw.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tcbskater 2011-11-16, 19:34

A well needed guide, and it suits that you would write this up. Great work.

One thing I noticed within the introduction is that you typo'd "figure."

You may want to add something about determining when part of a card is a cost, since some are somewhat ambiguous to other players (I just had one person today ask me about Magical Stone Excavation).
Tcbskater
Tcbskater

Birthday : 1994-03-10

http://www.clocktowergaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-11-16, 19:42

Do not wonder if there is one or another typo, english is not my primary language after all^^

As for cost, it is here: http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t2754-ruling-faq-clearing-up-the-most-confusable-rulings#cost
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-11-16, 19:45

dest wrote:hu, totally forgot to look for this^^
mandatory ignition... I didn't even know that it is madatory, thanks for the info^^
Caught me off guard when I first found out about it, though it makes sense since it doesn't say "you can do this" but rather "do this".
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2011-11-16, 20:14

appreciate the guide only wish i could comprehend what i read >.<
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2011-12-30, 12:27

Are all ritual, synchro and fusion monsters Semi-Nomi monsters? i.e They must all be properly summoned in order to be SS by monster reviving cards. Except, of course, when returned to the deck (which the means they have to be summoned again through their proper method of summoning).
Phraxure
Phraxure

Birthday : 1997-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChillmatic 2011-12-30, 13:03

Phraxure wrote:Are all ritual, synchro and fusion monsters Semi-Nomi monsters? i.e They must all be properly summoned in order to be SS by monster reviving cards. Except, of course, when returned to the deck (which the means they have to be summoned again through their proper method of summoning).

They're by default Semi-Nomi. Some of them, like Shooting Quasar Dragon, are Nomi monsters.
MrChillmatic
MrChillmatic

Birthday : 1990-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-12-30, 13:26

on the continuous effect part you forgot about
meltiel, artemis , layard , spirit reaper and dark ruler tails effect (im probably forgetting some)

but thats probably because their text (except for artemis ) arent that easy to understand

raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-12-31, 08:14

I mentioned dark ruler in the trigger area. Because of its text I thought you might look there at first.

Meltiel/Layard... well, could be mentioned perhaps...

Artemis is a card that only needs common sense to get, that the effect is continous. How else you could draw a card during a chain Wink

Edited something on the continous part now, thanks Smile
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-12-31, 08:27

You know what I love:
Answering a ruling problem by copy and pasting the card effect. fun.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  zekana 2011-12-31, 09:47

thanks for making this. glad to know that chaos sorcerer and bls can be brought back from the grave if they were successfully summoned. favorited for future ruling situations.
zekana
zekana

Birthday : 1991-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2012-01-04, 15:43

Added a description for cards like Hyper Librarian to the continous section as exceptions^^
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyRainEve(TeWe) 2012-01-13, 13:23

continous effect doesn't exist, continuous effect does /nitpick>
you may want to add destroyed substitution effect(Shi En, Defender [Magician something],and the now popular zenmaines) under the continuous effect as well, since some people usually had a wrong instinct telling them they are trigger-effect or something.
LilyRainEve(TeWe)
LilyRainEve(TeWe)

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2012-01-13, 17:17

thanks^^

that what happens, when you read "continous" once years ago and nobody ever tells you that this is wrong. Always wrote it like that, even my english teachers haven't noticed it once >.<
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2012-01-24, 11:03

deleted the html code now...
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down