Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz!

+2
Yami-Malik
CaiusTSR
6 posters

Go down

Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz! Empty Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz!

Post  CaiusTSR 2011-07-07, 01:51

<a href="#down">Jump Down To Summery post</a>

Hi everyone! You may have seen me around a few times posting here and there. If you haven’t seen me I am Caius and this is my first posted thread.

Introductory aside there is something I want to share my thoughts on and I hope it would start some conversation among my fellow duelist. Exceeds.

We’ve all heard about them by now. If it hasn’t been beaten into your head already here’s a quick overview. Exceed monsters (or Xyz as they have been renamed), are a new breed of Yu-Gi-Oh! monsters. There are a few similarities with Fusion, Ritual, and Synchro monsters. They all require two or more monsters to be summoned (in some cases Rituals only need one to be brought out) they all have their own niche in a deck and they all are relatively easy to bring out on the field. That’s where the similarities end however.

Xyz monsters are by far the easiest to get on the field as they only require two monsters of the same level to be brought out: Tuners included. An example of this would be you have a Debris Dragon and a Mind Controled Spy on your side of the field. Now under normal circumstances your Black Rose play would be ruined because you were just Valiered, BUT with Exceeds you have a whole new option. As Xyz monsters don’t have levels they have Ranks the restriction of “This card can’t be used for a Synchro summon” no longer applies.

I started out playing in 2009. Synchros had about a year to run rampant and I had sadly missed on the some of the best in the game (Stardust, Black Rose, Goyo, Brio, and Catastor to name a few). All the ones that were considered staples in any extra deck. Time has changed since then. Brio is at 1, Goyo is gone, BRD has had her ups and downs and (much to my displeasure) Stardust was never on the list to begin with.

Fast forward to the end of 2010 when I first heard of Xyz Summoning. I was like “Huh?” Then when it hit me I was like “@_@ WHHHHHAAAAAAT?” As in, “What? There is no WAY that it’s THAT easy.” At that moment I knew I wasn’t going to miss out on the Xyz bandwagon.

Now I know some of you are skeptical about the whole Xyz thing saying that Synchros are better these Xyz effect are lame they can only be used so many times and then they are useless etc. On the same token though everyone complained the Synchros were to broken when the first came out. Stardust especially. I have my share of bad memories when it comes to the iconic dragon. What Konami has given us are balanced monster effects that change the game but not in a drastic, drastic way.

When the first batch of Xyz were revealed, everyone (excluding a few) heaved a big meh. Number 39: Utopia had his uses, but after both of his material is gone he’s pretty much dead weight (or REALLY good bait depending). Grenosaurus is only at 2000 and has a meh effect that you might as well use to ditch the Xyz material into the graveyard. No point in wasting doing a 1000 burn. Could mean the difference between a game changing or a game ending Solemn Warning. Gantetsu has some great use. Beffs up your monsters and saves himself two turns.

Then Generation Force was released and everyone started paying a little more attention. They all started thinking of inventive ways to use cards such as Epmty Space and Armored Zenmaister. Their effects aren’t HELLA broke, but they borderline WTFing. Cards like Tirus and Adreus definitely make your opponent think twice about summoning monsters and even after they have used their effect 2600 gets over common 5-8 Star monsters (Shi En, Stardust, Machina Fortress). Then there’s a little 1900 beater who says no to all level 5 or high Special Summoned monsters.

The Broke Train didn’t really leave the station till we started getting info on the next set, Photon Shockwave. Cards like Rescue Rabbit and No. 10 Illuminator makes your face hurt just thinking of all the stuff they lead too. And this is only set 2. We don’t even know what else we are getting. Even Baby Tragon (OMG SO CUTE!) can see use. Especially with cards like Trago and Gagaga Magician.

Exceeds get so many great support cards it makes it easy to swarm the field with monsters then proceed to Xyz Summon multiple times in one turn. Exceeds give a really old (and possibly broken up the ass) deck type play; Offering Gadgets. Creates a loop that lets you get Rank 4s out easy. Such good ones as Vylon Disigma, No. 10 Illuminator, Armored Zenmeister, Steelswarm Roach and Utopia (to some extent). Potential OTK if you have the right protection (Trunade, 7 Tools, Solemn etc).

<a name="down"> TL;DR: </a> To put it simply for those of you who don’t need a reason, Xyz monsters are going to change the way the game is played. It actually speeds in up because it feeds off the ever prevalent Synchro monsters. Sure, they are starting off slowly, but would you rather have all the mega busted cards right out the gate or would you rather have cards that are subtly busted. Cards like No. 83 Galaxy Queen who gives you piercing and immunity to death for a whole three turns.

This article is about a thousand words long so I think I’ll leave if off here for now. I want to leave with a few questions I would love to hear your answers to in post below.

What do you think of Xyz Monsters?

Do you think they would change the game or do you think they will fizzle out and die like Rituals did for a really long time?

Will you be using Xyz Monsters to the extent to which you use Synchros now?

Or would you rather use that Xyz space for Synchro/Fusion Monsters?

Already have a hybrid Synchro/Xyz deck planned out?

Do you think it’s going to change the face of the game forever?

That’s it for me, thanks for reading.

Also, on an extra, extra side note. Yay for my 100th post.

Last edited by CaiusTSR on 2011-07-10, 22:09; edited 2 times in total
CaiusTSR
CaiusTSR

Birthday : 1992-12-13

Back to top Go down

Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz! Empty Re: Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz!

Post  Yami-Malik 2011-07-07, 02:12

First of all, im in love with Xyz monsters, i rly see them being the next great thing since synchros in the game. They are very easy to get and summon and make the game more fun than it is competitive, it will change a lot of the game, we will probably expect some persons abusing them using some older cards mixed with the Xyz's. Actually many Xyz monsters are better than many synchros we have these days. I cant wait til i use them cause they are simply great.
Yami-Malik
Yami-Malik

Birthday : 1995-05-30

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz! Empty Re: Exceeding Expectations: Dawn of the Xyz!

Post  olqka 2011-07-07, 03:23

the xyz monsters are ok easy to summon they have their eff but the new spell & traps that come with the new booster sets are shitty
Chaos End Ruler -Ruler of the Beginning and the End, deap dark trap hole and etc.
olqka
olqka

Back to top Go down

Post  CaiusTSR 2011-07-07, 15:41

olqka wrote:the xyz monsters are ok easy to summon they have their eff but the new spell & traps that come with the new booster sets are shitty
Chaos End Ruler -Ruler of the Beginning and the End, deap dark trap hole and etc.
The new spell and traps aren't actually that terrible. You couldn't really expect them to release all the broken stuff right in the first set.

I'm waiting for the day we get "Urgent Tuning" for Xyz monsters Laughing
CaiusTSR
CaiusTSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dueler312 2011-08-17, 10:54

I think they are okay. The only bad part about them is that they can only use their effects (if they have any) up to the number of xyz material monsters used to summon him.

Dueler312

Birthday : 1986-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Dracerdis 2011-08-17, 11:03

What do you think of Xyz Monsters? I love these things! They're the easiest "strong monsters" to get out Very Happy

Do you think they would change the game or do you think they will fizzle out and die like Rituals did for a really long time? They'll be the next Synchros! Everyone'll have them, and they'll become one and the same with 'em!

Will you be using Xyz Monsters to the extent to which you use Synchros now? You better believe it!

Or would you rather use that Xyz space for Synchro/Fusion Monsters? I can make room for all three :3

Already have a hybrid Synchro/Xyz deck planned out?
To an extent, yes. It's still a work-in-progress.
Do you think it’s going to change the face of the game forever?
For sure! We've gone from Dark Magician being the face to the Gods, to Neos, to Stardust, and finally, to Utopia! Xyz is going to hit it big. You won't see a round in WCS without the Xyz monsters now!
That’s it for me, thanks for reading.
Dracerdis
Dracerdis

Birthday : 1996-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainbow Haruka 2011-08-17, 14:23

CaiusTSR wrote: Even Baby Tragon (OMG SO CUTE!) can see use.

Thank for the complement. Razz

Yeah, I plan to write an article about Baby Tragon when I've had a few duels with it, but the two monsters you mentioned are good starts.

Btw, Nice article.
Rainbow Haruka
Rainbow Haruka

Back to top Go down

Post  CaiusTSR 2011-08-17, 17:54

Wow this article is so old. Thanks the person who posted. Thanks guys.
CaiusTSR
CaiusTSR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down