Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geartown

4 posters

Go down

Geartown Empty Geartown

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-13, 18:30

I need to help with this, my friend says that the effect of geartown does not activate when another field is activated by me. How can I finish my strategy?
[img]Geartown Geartowntdgsencue1[/img]
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Geartown Empty Re: Geartown

Post  dest 2011-07-13, 18:36

set your field spell, then it doesn't miss the timing...
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-13, 18:43

That's right, if a field spell is activated then you miss the timing. Also, if something is chained to Geartown's activation to destroy it then it misses the timing because the card's activation gets in the way of it's optional effect's activation.
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Birthday : 1993-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-13, 19:10

Thanks
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-14, 15:41

Not quite.

If you yourself control a Geartown and YOU activate a new Field Spell, you miss Geartown's effect's activation timing because at the point in time where Geartown is sent to the Graveyard, you are not allowed to stop the activation procedure of your new Field Spell to take time to activate Geartown's effect.

This is because of how the procedure of activating or setting a new Field Spell Card works. When you activate or Set a new Field Spell Card, you don't just place the card in the Field Card Zone; you simultaneously destroy any card currently in your Field Card Zone. This means that at the time you activate or Set a new Field Spell, the "last things to happen" are:
1) The activation or setting of a Field Spell
2) If you controlled a card in the Zone before, that card was just destroyed now.

Those events are simultaneous.

Now, responding to the destruction of Geartown with Geartown's effect is optional.

Responding to your own act of activating a Field Spell by forming a Chain Link for that Field Spell is mandatory.

You can't stop mandatory Spell Procedure to activate Geartown, hence you miss Geartown's timing.

If you instead Set the new Field Spell, the last things to happen would be "A card was Set and Geartown was destroyed", and there'd be nothing keeping you from activating Geartown's effect.

Now, if your OPPONENT activates a Field Spell Card while you control Geartown, your Field Spell is not destroyed until their Field Spell Card is seen as "face-up on the field" after the Chain Link caused by its activation is resolved. The rule that only 1 Field Spell Card may be face-up on the field only applies to Field Spells whose activations have resolved.

So if your opponent activates a Field Spell, your own Field Spell isn't destroyed immediately. You have a chance to Chain things to your opponent's Field Spell's activation, and you can use this chance to save your Field Spell.

If you DON'T save your Field Spell by eliminating your opponent's, your Field Spell is destroyed when theirs resolves, if their Field Spell is still face-up on the field.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Birthday : 1988-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-14, 21:16

What do you mean 'not quite'? I think the question was answered.

I like your in-depth explanation though, nothing wrong with it.
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-15, 16:50

The answer given earlier said point blank "if a field spell is activated, you miss the timing."

That answer is wrong, because it is too general. That's why I said "not quite".

You miss Geartown's effect's activation timing only if YOU activate a Field Spell while controlling Geartown.

If your opponent activates one, you do not miss Geartown's effect's activation timing, because Geartown is not destroyed and sent to the Graveyard at a point in time where a game rule forces you to choose not to activate Geartown.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Birthday : 1988-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-15, 19:24

Oh, I see what you mean. I was talking about the situation he described, not making a general point, but I see how that could have been misunderstood.
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down