Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos

+3
dest
KaousFaustXIII
Ceteruler2
7 posters

Go down

The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos Empty The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-18, 01:43

Greetings, fellow Duelists; Ceteruler2 here, with another card guide/discussion/review thingy! Due to the overall positive vibe I got from my last one, I decided I would try my hand at another. Gotta do something until those Exceeds/XYZs come out…
And now, without further ado, let’s get to the guide! (discussion/review thingy…)

CONTENTS (Click to jump to each section):
<a href="#down">A. INTRODUCTION</a>
<a href="#down2">B. CARD ANALYSIS/BREAKDOWN</a>
<a href="#down3">C. CARD USE</a>
<a href="#down4">D. USEFUL CARDS</a>

<a name="down">A. INTRODUCTION</a>
This time, my article focuses on an extremely underused card that I rediscovered over the weekend:

The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos WingedRhynosGLD2-EN-C-LE
Winged Rhynos
WIND
Level 4
Beast-Warrior/Effect
When a Trap Card is activated, you can return this face-up card from the field to its owner's hand.
ATK/1800 DEF/ 500

Now most of you (like me) either never saw this card before, or saw it and completely forgot about it. I myself had but a brief glimpse of this card when he was released. He didn’t have a lot of hype and wasn’t used much, so slowly, he faded from my memory.

Then I was reacquainted with him this past Friday as I was poring through the Dueling Network’s card database (it’s something I do often, actually; browse through the cards until I find a little-used or forgotten card that I can rediscover and use.) As I looked at him as a card, comparing him to other cards I know, I realized that while he isn’t the best card by far, he has his uses.

I decided to write this article to share what I discovered with you all, introducing Winged Rhynos to the new, and reintroducing him to the old. Hopefully it will be of use to you!

And now, you guys know the drill: let’s break this bad boy down.

<a name="down2">B. CARD ANALYSIS/BREAKDOWN</a>
1. Winged Rhynos: This card seems to be related to the also underplayed and little known Rampaging Rhynos (depicted in the spoiler below),
Spoiler:
although that card’s underuse is not for the same reason (it’s just….bad). Other than that, his name origin is pretty simple: “Winged” for his wings, and “Rhynos” which seems to be a Pokemon-esque mutation of the word “rhino.

2. WIND: Eh…it’s not a BAD Attribute, it’s just…
Ok, I’ll just come right out and say it: Because WIND is a very under-supported Attribute (where’s my Summon Storm, Konami? Evil or Very Mad ), this card would have been better off being a LIGHT or a DARK. Both of those Attributes (the most supported in the game) have better Special Summoning, ATK/DEF boosting, draw and power cards that could have helped this card out a lot.

3. Card Art: Now I’ve gotta say; is that not some wicked card art? It’s like Blackwing – Abrolhos the Megaquake, only less dark and crow-like… Anyway, the art of this card further supports my point of the relationship between the “Rhynos Bros.” as I call them. Clip this guy’s wings and you’ve got a Rampaging Rhynos with an awesome club. Also, the monster design seems to point to some relation to the Phantom Beast Archetype.

4. Level 4: Nothing much to say here…pretty standard. He’s affected by Level Limit – Area A, Gravity Bind, and other cards that affect Level 4 or higher monsters.

5. Beast-Warrior: Oh come on, first Konami gives him a weird Attribute, now a weird Typing? Shouldn’t he have been a Winged Beast-Type?Anyway, Beast-Warrior-Type is not as supported as Beast-Type (you can’t even use them with Green Baboon), although they do share certain cards that support both. (I’m still disappointed…)

6. When a Trap Card is activated, you can return this face-up card from the field to its owner's hand: Ok, you may be wondering “did I read that right”? Actually, yes you did. Whenever a Trap Card (other than a Counter Trap; more on that later) is activated (flipped face-up; this does not include effects that “activate”, such as Royal Oppression or Ultimate Offering), this card’s effect lets it bounce itself back to the safety of your hand.
Cool
I’m sure many of you are seeing the possibilities already, but I’ll go over them in the How to Use section.

7. ATK/1800: Decent ATK, pretty much the norm for a Level 4 (although 1900 is probably considered the new norm). Because Rhynos’ ATK is over 1499, he’s affected by Bottomless Trap Hole and Messenger of Peace, as well as other cards that affect monsters with 1500 ATK or more. He can juuusst run over cards like Pilgrim of the Ice Barrier and Obnoxious Celtic Guard, and he ties with cards like Infernity Archfiend and Blackwing – Shura of the Blue Flame.

8. DEF/ 500: …Well that’s not too good. What’s 500 DEF gonna protect us from, Ryko? A non-powered up Card Trooper? Spirit Reaper? This low of a DEF makes us a dead target for monsters that inflict Piercing damage too (Dealing damage through defense for those few who don’t know; I’m looking at you, Bora…)
Now that that’s done, we can once again get to the fun part:

<a name="down3">C. CARD USE</a>
*Rubs hands* Alright, let’s get right down to business: Rhynos’s effect. Like I said before, it goes off when a Trap Card on either side of the field is activated, letting him retreat to your hand. The uses for this are many:
• Attack with him to trigger that Dimensional Prison you think your opponent is hiding.
• Return him to avoid that nasty Magic Cylinder.
• Bounce him to save at least 1 monster from that dreaded Mirror Force.
• Summon him to test the waters for that Torrential Tribute, then return him and watch as your opponent’s face cracks…

As you can see…this monster is a little bit baws…Cool

Now, there are two overall strategies to use with Rhynos:
1. The Bouncing Beater (BB)
2. The Advantage Assailant (AA)

Bouncing Beater: This strategy uses Rhynos’ built in protection to ensure that you always have an 1800 monster on your field or in your hand to beat face with, returning Rhynos when he’s in danger from an opponent’s Trap Card. Attack into that Dimensional Prison? We can’t have that; we need this guy! Return him. This strategy relies more on the Traps your opponent plays, and can result in you taking some hefty damage if your field is not well set up.

Advantage Assailant: This strategy uses both your opponent’s Traps and your own to protect Rhynos from card effects, whilst simultaneously gaining card advantage. It’s more flexible, as it allows for a more complex use of Rhynos’ ability. You run into that Ryko and your opponent targets Rhynos? Chain your facedown Jar of Greed and laugh as you get a free card and your monster swoops to the safety of your hand. Opponent played that Dark Hole to clear the field? Chain your facedown Dust Tornado to pop one of their facedowns or your Threatening Roar to prevent attacks, and keep ahold of your monster.

The only flaw with Rhynos’ effect? He can’t use it against Counter Traps. Most of you know that most card effects have what are called Speed Spells, which designate the timing of those cards (for those of you who didn’t or need a refresher, here’s a link to a great article that explains it all.) Well, all Counter Traps have Speed Spell 3…and they can only be chained to with another card of similar Speed (That’s why you can’t chain anything but another Counter Trap like Dark Bribe or Seven Tools of the Bandit to Solemn Judgement or Solemn Warning). Rhynos’ effect is only Spell Speed 2, which mean that while he can activate it during either player’s turn, he can’t chain it to Counter Traps Crying or Very sad.

Now, as I write this, I can see the statement on some of you guys’ lips: “Wildheart is better! He’s unaffected by Traps completely!” Hmmm…Well, that’s true. Elemental HERO Wildheart is completely immune to the effects of Traps. He can survive a Torrential Tribute, dodge a Mirror Force or a Dimensional Prison, stay on the field after a Return from the Different Dimension, and attack through a Magical Cylinder. (Just like Rhynos, he can’t dodge something like Solemn Judgment or Warning because that negates his Summon and does not directly affect he, or Threatening Roar because that affects the player’s ability to declare an attack and does not directly affect him. The things some noobs come up with…)

I’m not denying any of that.

However, what Wildheart can’t dodge (through his own effect) is Spells, Monster Effects, and battle destruction. You could be trololo’ing along and run smack into a Dark Hole or a Ryko that ruins your day. That of course doesn’t make him any better or worse than Winged Rhynos (other than searchability; that’s one of Rhynos’ faults). It just means you use the two differently.

Here’s how I break it down:
• Dodges Traps: Rhynos = Easily, Wildheart = Completely
• Dodges Spells: Rhynos = minor assistance, Wildheart = medium assistance
• Dodges (some) Monster Effects: Rhynos = minor assistance, Wildheart = major assistance
• Dodges Battle destruction: Rhynos = minor assistance, Wildheart = minor assistance

Wildheart
• Pros: Complete immunity to Traps, multi-searchability, well-supported Warrior-Type and Elemental HERO Archetype
• Cons: Vulnerable to Spells, Monsters, and battle destruction, 1500 ATK is not very strong for a Level 4

Rhynos
• Pros: Partial immunity to Traps, partial immunity to Spells, Monster Effects, and battle destruction, 1800 ATK is pretty strong for a Level 4, returns to hand
• Cons: Not very searchable, not very well-supported, low DEF, vulnerable to card discard effects while in hand, returns to hand Very Happy

So as you can see, neither is better than the other, per se; they have different strengths and weakness that have to be considered. I’m not going to tell you to use Rhynos over Wildheart in a HERO deck (that would be stupid…). Now a deck made around both of them…that could be baws Cool

Alright; so we’ve looked at Rhynos’ effect, and we’ve looked at why he’s not necessarily better or worse than Wildheart. Now let’s look at cards that we can use with him.

<a name="down4">D. USEFUL CARDS</a>
Now, although I said that Rhynos being a WIND monster was not the best thing, it doesn’t mean he’s useless. In fact, there are a few WIND cards that work well him.

• Divine Wind of Mist Valley:
Spoiler:
So, anyone see the combo yet?*Waggles eyebrows* Return Rhynos by his effect, Special Summon another Level 4 or lower WIND monster from your Deck. This combo can be used with both the BB and AA strategies I talked about, and used in the right Decks, can create a toolbox effect where you can return your Rhynos to your hand with a Trap to search for and Special Summon another WIND monster, while gaining card advantage with that Trap.

• Garudo’s Quill Pen:
Spoiler:
This card is pretty good WIND support in my opinion, although it would be much better if it were a Quickplay Spell. Oh well…Either way, it can start some deadly combos when used at the right time. You can use it to restock your Deck with WIND monsters, then either return a WIND monster from your field to your hand to bring out another if Divine Wind is out, or get rid of one of your opponent’s troublesome cards. You could return that meddling Stardust to the Extra Deck (since it doesn’t destroy, there ain’t jack sh- um, anything they can do about it short of Dark Bribe or flipping it facedown), bounce that Royal Decree so your Traps are free once more, or sweep that suspicious face-down card off the field; it could be a Mirror Force or a Ryko or (heaven forbid) a Magic Cylinder. All in all, a great card.

• Harpie Lady 1:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I used the unedited card art for my guide; what are you gonna do about it?? Razz Anyway, Harpie Lady 1 is one of the better known WIND support cards. She boosts the ATK of all WIND monsters, including herself (and your opponent’s WIND monsters Evil or Very Mad ) by 300 points, making her 1600 ATK and Rhynos 2100 ATK. She’s a pretty good option to Special Summon out with Divine Wind after you returned your Rhynos, as she’ll boost herself and the next WIND monster you summon out. Just be careful if your opponent runs any WIND monsters (imagine a 2000 ATK Tengu *shudders*).

• Hunter Owl:
Spoiler:
Moar awesome card art! Anyway, this guy can be moderately useful, as long as you have at least 1 other WIND monster on the field (preferably another copy of himself or Harpie Lady 1). By himself he becomes a 1500 ATK monster (the boost occurs after he’s Summoned, so he swoops right over Bottomless); with another copy of himself, he locks down all attacks directed at him and becomes a 2000 ATK monster. Unfortunately, the lock doesn’t protect any of your other WIND monsters like the Marauding and Magnen Locks do.

• Lady Ninja Yae:
Spoiler:
I’m not sure why they changed Yae’s image; I liked it just fine What a Face. Anyway, Yae’s effect is simple, useful, and powerful: dump a WIND monster, return all Spell and Trap Cards to your opponent’s hand. A one-sided Giant Trunade on shapely legs, Yae is best used in Decks with an abundance of WIND monsters to use her effect, and can be easily summoned in a Deck using Divine Wind. The monsters dumped can even be used for the effect of Garudo’s Quill Pen. Harpy Lady 1 boosts her to 1400 ATK, which is rather measly, but hey, she was never designed for face-beating.

An interesting combo with this card is to discard a Mist Valley Baby Roc for her effect, allowing it to be Special Summoned. From there, Birdman can return Yae to the hand to use Baby Roc in a Synchro Summon for a Level 5 (like Catastor, Magical Android, or T.G. Hyper Librarian) or Baby Roc to the hand for a Level 6 Synchro Summon with Yae (like Brionac, which can dump the Baby Roc again), all the while bringing out another WIND monster from your deck (if you’re using Divine Wind) which can be used as Synchro Material or just another attacker. Or you can just use Baby Roc and/or Yae for a Tribute Summon if you’re running any high-Level monsters like Monarchs, Alector, or any of the Simorgh Sisters.

• Spiritual Wind Art – Miyabi
Spoiler:
This card, while rather dated, is still dangerous in the right WIND Deck. It lets you clear the field of opponent’s threats, returning to the bottom of the Deck rather than destroying them (eat that, Stardust). Use it on that WIND monster that’s about to die anyway, or use it to get rid of a menacing facedown on your opponent’s field in preparation for a big push (bye bye, Ryko; bye bye Mirror Force). If Reborn Tengu is used for the cost of this card, he will instantly replace himself, allowing you to keep field advantage. If you’re using Divine Wind and Rhynos, you can even return Rhynos for his effect when Miyabi is activated, allowing him to replace the monster you just lost.

Ok, that’s it for the WIND-specific support. Now onto a few miscellaneous cards that can be used with Rhynos.

• Genex Ally Birdman:
Spoiler:
"Biiiiirdman!!" There’s a cookie in it for the first one to name that reference! Anyway, this card is almost a staple in Decks where quick Synchros and card bouncing are used. In a Deck using Divine Wind, this card can be invaluable for recycling cards while maintaining field advantage, even though it’s not a WIND Attribute.

A really cool combo involving this card and Genex Blastfan is to use Birdman’s effect on a WIND monster while Divine Wind is on the field, then use Divine Wind’s effect to Special Summon Genex Blastfan from your Deck. When he’s Special Summoned, he can add 1 DARK Genex monster from your Deck to your hand, so you can add another Birdman to your hand. Next, you can use Birdman and Blastfan to Synchro Summon Arcanite Magician and use his effect to blow-up up to 2 of your opponent’s cards. Finally, if you haven’t Normal Summoned that turn, you can Normal Summon the card you bounced to set up the combo for next turn! Yep, Birdman’s baws Cool

• Reborn Tengu:
Spoiler:
Heeellllooo, what have we here? Reborn Tengu is another WIND Beast-Warrior monster with similar stats, but his uses are far greater than those of Rhynos. He is probably the most popular and hated card in the game nowadays for his versatility, and he’s used in practically every Deck. Combine this card with Divine Wind, Garudo’s Quill Pen, or Birdman and we have a very dangerous birdie- er, Beast-Warrior that your opponent must deal with.

One combo that’s rather easy to pull off with this card is to return Tengu to your hand with Birdman, which will bring out another from your Deck as Synchro Material for a Level 7 Synchro Monster (like Black Rose Dragon, Thought Ruler Archfiend, and Scrap Archfiend). The Tengu used for the Synchro Summon will then replace itself, and now you’ve got two monsters on the field. If you’re using Divine Wind, you can even bring out another WIND monster when you returned the first Tengu, like Harpie Lady 1 to boost ATK or Lady Ninja Yae to clear your opponent’s backrow (the returned Tengu can even be used for Yae’s cost!) leaving you with three monsters on the field. Finally, if you haven’t Normal Summoned this turn, you can resummon the returned Tengu, leaving you with 4 freakin’ monsters on the field! How’s that for baws? Cool

• Blackwing – Zephyros the Elite:
Spoiler:
Just like Genex Ally Birdman, Zephyros is not a WIND monster, but also like Birdman, he is can be very useful used in combination with Rhynos (or any other WIND monster) and Divine Wind. Even if you don’t have Divine Wind on the field, if you have control of one of your opponent’s monsters, you can bounce it to their hand or Extra Deck to revive this guy. He can also bounce cards other than monsters, so you can return that Swords of Revealing Light, Fiendish Chain, or even Divine Wind to bring him back (if you do this with Divine Wind, you can reactivate it to get around the “Once per turn” clause of its effect). However, Zephyros can only use his effect once per Duel, so make sure to use it at the right time. Remember, knowing is half the battle…

• Lancer Lindwurm:

Spoiler:
Good card to use with Divine Wind, or just in general. Inflicts Piercing Damage with a solid 1800 ATK, and more importantly, unlike cards like Spear Dragon and Mad Archfiend, he doesn't switch to Defense Position after he attacks. Nice.

• Armored Bee:
Spoiler:
Blackwings and DARK got Gale, Insects and WIND got this. Not quite as good as Gale, as it only halves ATK and not DEF as well, but it’s better than nothing. Easily summoned through Divine Wind, this card has a solid 1900 ATK with Harpie Lady 1 on the field.

• Jar of Greed:
Spoiler:
One of the simplest cards to use for Rhynos’ effect. You can use it at almost any time (except the Damage Step), and it nets you a free draw, so that’s a plus. Use it to save Rhynos from Spells, Traps, and Monster Effects while gaining advantage.

• Dust Tornado:
Spoiler:
Another good card to use with Rhynos. Not only does it let you trigger his effect, and blow up one of your opponent’s Spells/Traps, it also allows you to set another Spell or Trap from your hand. This allows you to activate the card that was set next turn, whether it’s your opponent’s turn or yours. Another card that can be used at practically any time.

• Threatening Roar:
Spoiler:
This card is a great stall card, buying you some extra time to build up advantage or regroup from a hard hit. This card is best used during your opponent’s turn, because it will only be wasted if you use it during your turn.

• Ultimate Offering:
Spoiler:
Now even though you can’t activate Rhynos’ effect in response to the effect of this card (only the activation -the flipping face-up of the card- can trigger Rhynos’ effect), it can still be useful. Why? Because it will allow you to constantly place him on the field. If you Normal Summoned him this turn, then returned him to activate the effect of Divine Wind or to avoid your opponent’s card, you can bring him back out with this card.

• Compulsory Evacuation Device:

Spoiler:
This card can be a great 2-for-1 card, because it can return an opponent's monster to their hand while allowing Rhynos to activate his effect. With Divine Wind on the field, this lets you bring out another WIND monster. Also, because CED doesn't specify that the monster must be face-up, you can return that facedown Ryko without activating its effect.

• The Transmigration Prophecy:
Spoiler:
Even MOAR awesome card art! Anyway, this card is a great card to use at any time because of its versatility. With Divine Wind on the field, it can help you gain field advantage and Graveyard advantage at the same time. Activate it to return that pesky Treeborn Frog in your opponent’s Graveyard and the Lady Ninja Yae in yours to the Decks, and chain Rhynos’ effect to summon out the Yae you just returned with Divine Wind’s effect. Get rid of that powerful Synchro your opponent seems to be eyeing to bring back with Monster Reborn while you simultaneously restock your own Extra Deck. This is a good card to break up your opponent’s revival plays while fueling your own swarm plays.

Aaaannddd that’s all of the main combos I can think of off the top of my head. As before, if you guys can think of any cards, combos, or anything else I should add to the guide (review/discussion thingy), don’t hesitate to let me know in the comments.

A/N: Y’know, I’m really beginning to enjoy writing these, so I may start writing more (when I have the time). Part of my inspiration to write these comes from you the readers; encouraging words and a little (LITTLE) constructive criticism goes a long way. Please, as a certain Youtuber I watch says, “Leave a like, if you’d like” (a steaming-hot chocolate-chip oatmeal cookie to anyone that can name the person I’m talking about…), or a reason why you don’t. Both help me to figure out what I’m doing right and what I’m doing wrong and help to make any future guides better. OK? Thanks!

~This is Ceteruler2, signing out!

(Image Credit: Yugioh.wikia.com)

Last edited by Ceteruler2 on 2011-07-23, 22:57; edited 5 times in total
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Birthday : 1994-08-29

Back to top Go down

The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos Empty Re: The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-07-18, 02:00

why do i have a feeling that Divine Wind misses the timing...
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos Empty Re: The Cowardly Beast: A Guide to Winged Rhynos

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-18, 08:39

KaousFaustXIII wrote:why do i have a feeling that Divine Wind misses the timing...
At what point?
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-07-18, 09:01

divine wind can't miss the timing, that is not possible...
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-18, 09:03

dest wrote:divine wind can't miss the timing, that is not possible...
If I recall correctly (and based on rulings that I've been reading), Divine Wind would always just start a chain that Rhynos and any other card chains their effects to...

What did you think of the guide, dest?
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-18, 21:56

A ruling mistake or two (Hunter Owl doesn't dodge Bottomless) and some naive assumptions (a good opponent won't ever use Bottomless/Dimensional Prison/Cylinder/Karma Cut on this unless he has no choice at all) but otherwise a pretty good explanation, except some questionable choices like Lancer Lindwurm and Harpie Lady 1.

Legacy of Yata Garasu > Jar of Greed
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Birthday : 1993-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-18, 22:12

TKGriffiths wrote:A ruling mistake or two (Hunter Owl doesn't dodge Bottomless) and some naive assumptions (a good opponent won't ever use Bottomless/Dimensional Prison/Cylinder/Karma Cut on this unless he has no choice at all) but otherwise a pretty good explanation, except some questionable choices like Lancer Lindwurm and Harpie Lady 1.

Legacy of Yata Garasu > Jar of Greed
Thanks for the "review". Before I change the guide, would you mind explaining why Hunter Owl doesn't dodge Bottomless? I don't see how...

I suppose you're right about an opponent using a Trap on him once they see his effect. That's what the "AA" strategy is about; using your own Traps to protect him from Spells, Monster Effects, and battle destruction.

Lancer Lindwurm I included for his high ATK and Piercing effect, but he is somewhat unnecessary. I was merely listing suggestions for WIND monsters in a toolbox-esque Deck using Rhynos and Divine Wind, not an set-in-stone list. Also, what ATK booster would you have me replace Harpie Lady 1 with?

Finally, why do say LoYG is better than JoG?
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-23, 21:21

Hunter Owl doesn't dodge Bottomless for the same reason Jinzo does. The continuous effect is always active whenever it's on the field so it'll always have 1500 ATK, barring outside interference.

Legacy of Yata Garasu is exactly the same as Jar of Greed, only with an added chance of drawing 2 cards instead of one. So obviously it's the better card.
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-23, 22:03

TKGriffiths wrote:Hunter Owl doesn't dodge Bottomless for the same reason Jinzo does. The continuous effect is always active whenever it's on the field so it'll always have 1500 ATK, barring outside interference.

Legacy of Yata Garasu is exactly the same as Jar of Greed, only with an added chance of drawing 2 cards instead of one. So obviously it's the better card.
Hmmm...That seems right. Thanks for the correction.

Meh, I wouldn't say it's better, but whatever.
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Skylark 2011-07-23, 22:50

Nice Guide! I always like reading about how to use ignored cards!!! I thought it was high quality. This card allows you to use a lot of traps even more now that royal decree is less used.

One comment though is that your opponent cannot use your Ultimate Offering.

Thanks again
Skylark
Skylark

Birthday : 1988-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-23, 22:56

Skylark wrote:Nice Guide! I always like reading about how to use ignored cards!!! I thought it was high quality. This card allows you to use a lot of traps even more now that royal decree is less used.

One comment though is that your opponent cannot use your Ultimate Offering.

Thanks again
Thanks so much! Very Happy Like I said, I really enjoy writing these too!

Actually, I still see Royal Decree used a LOT, particularly in Decks where people can't be bothered to deal with your Traps.

Thanks for this correction. I think I was thinking of the old Text that made it sound that way: "At the cost of 500 Life Points per monster, a player is allowed an extra Normal Summon or Set." I don't know what I was doing Razz

You're welcome!
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  TKGriffiths 2011-07-23, 23:05

Meh, I wouldn't say it's better, but whatever.

I don't want to nitpick, but why is it not better exactly? It has an additional effect that can only help you. It's like saying Magical Stone Excavation isn't better than Spell Reproduction.
TKGriffiths
TKGriffiths

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-23, 23:17

Well Magical Stone Excavation is OBVIOUSLY better than Spell Reproduction because it requires you dump two CARDS to grab a Spell, not two Spells to grab a Spell. I'm sure we can agree on that Very Happy

In the case of these two, the chance for LoYG to get its secondary effect is slim to none (at least in today's game), so it's kind of a moot point. Literally no one today other than stolid Spirit Users or someone abusing Kinka-byo is going to have a Spirit on their field (although I'll admit I've used it that way before; Summon Kinka-byo to bring back a Level 1 from my Grave, Creature Swap it to my opponent, then use LoYG for 2 cards, but even then, that was in a dedicated Kinka Deck).

Not saying that you're flat out wrong or that I'm irrefutably right, just saying that I don't see it the way you see it.
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackLusterCivilian 2011-07-24, 00:56

This card has good uses with Double Summon or Ultimate Offering if you have Torrential Tribute set.

Summon it, activate Torrential Tribute, return to hand, re-summon it, and attack directly.

Also I always assumed that Bottomless could only hit monsters whose original Atk was 1500 or more. Since cards like Hunter Owl don't have 1500 or more Atk until after their effects resolves, I thought Bottomless would miss the timing. And if you chained it, Bottomless would resolve first, before the Atk altering effect would, and therefor the monster wouldn't have 1500 or more Atk when it's resolved.

At least, I've never used it on such monster or had it used on me.

But then, it's not the first time I've seen a card effect not follow the game's basic rulings/mechanics for no adequately explored reason...
BlackLusterCivilian
BlackLusterCivilian

Birthday : 1989-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  CaiusTSR 2011-07-24, 03:46

I was introduced to this card a few months ago. Really good card (IMH)

This was a good read, although don't be talking smack about the Wind monsters. I might have to find you...

Jokes. Lol thanks for the article.
CaiusTSR
CaiusTSR

Birthday : 1992-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-24, 19:41

Thanks BLC! Yeah I've used that combo before; totally frustrating to my friends Razz Also, I thought the same thing about Bottomless, but since Yugioh Wikia has no Rulings on it and all of my Google searches have turned up nil, I can only trust what TK said until I get something to refute it.

Lol, you're welcome Caius. I wasn't talking smack about WIND monsters, I was talking smack about their horrible lack of support (where's my Summon Storm, Konami? Evil or Very Mad). I REALLY love the Mist Valley archetype, but they don't have the best support...
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down