Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seven Tools Mistake in a Duel

+3
Gorz
KaousFaustXIII
Zeldanigma
7 posters

Go down

Seven Tools Mistake in a Duel Empty Seven Tools Mistake in a Duel

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-18, 02:07

I was dueling someone when it came up that he special summoned a monster with monster reborn and i activated royal oppresion to negate the summoning. I rushed and took away 800 of my LP, but then he activated Seven Tools of the Bandits to negate my card. So I sent the card to the grave and added myself 800 LP considering I need to have Royal oppresion activated to activate its effect. And then he said that I couldn't gain the LP back. But then what this means is that he's negating the EFFECT of royal oppresion with Seven Tools of the Bandits, but seven tools says the activation of a trap card, not the effect. Because it is not a counter trap like Solemn Judgment I think my theory is right. Is this true?
Am I allowed to gain LP back if i rush like this?
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Seven Tools Mistake in a Duel Empty Re: Seven Tools Mistake in a Duel

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-07-18, 02:26

When activating Royal Oppression (flipping it face-up) you have the option to activate its effect immediately or not. Choosing to activate its effect immediately is STILL part of its initial activation.

So in your case, when you activated Royal Oppression you chose to activate its effect immediately in response to the Special Summoning (paid 800), your opponent can now respond to that activation with his Seven Tools of the Bandit. Chain resolves, seven tools negates and destroys Royal Oppression, Special Summon goes through. Naturally you cannot take back the LP you paid.

source: tested on TF5
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-07-18, 02:40

The effect of Royal oppressions activation is a "Cost" no matter what you pay the 800 when activated.
Gorz
Gorz

Birthday : 1993-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-07-18, 02:50

eh, no, he only pays 800 when he chooses to activate the effect, but he could flip the card without activating it. But when he chooses, he must pay of course.

Most cards automaticly activate their effects uppen card activation, but cards like Oppression or UO can be activated ANY time (for example, after draw, in the Standby phase, there is no limit (safe for damage step^^)), without activating their effect.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyRainEve(TeWe) 2011-07-18, 05:48

if only you have read the rulebook, this question wouldn't even appear.
Pay a Cost
To pay a cost is an action required in order to activate a card, an
effect, or to Summon a monster. Tributing to Tribute Summon a
Level 5 monster is an example of a cost. Other common costs are
discarding, paying Life Points, or removing cards from play. You
have to pay any costs before you declare the activation of the
card. Even if the activation of the card is negated, you cannot get
a refund of the cost that you have paid.

don't play chess unless you know how you move your pawn.
LilyRainEve(TeWe)
LilyRainEve(TeWe)

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-18, 15:28

No, you are all not getting the point. I activated Royal Oppresion and the he activated Seven Tools of the Bandits, I didn't see it when he activated it, so i took 800 LP. So he activated it before I took LP, and then he said that I couldn't get the LP back.
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2011-07-18, 15:31

but you flipped it to negate the summoning meaning you activated, the only way you could have activated it was to pay the cost (800 lifepoints) as the same with your opponent when he actived the cost of 1000 to destory your trap
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-18, 15:34

No, the card has to be activated in order for me to pay the cost, it's not like solemn judgment or warning. He chained the activation I just didn't see the response.
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-07-18, 15:39

Zeldanigma wrote:No, you are all not getting the point. I activated Royal Oppresion and the he activated Seven Tools of the Bandits, I didn't see it when he activated it, so i took 800 LP. So he activated it before I took LP, and then he said that I couldn't get the LP back.

apparently you didn't read what i said

When activating Royal Oppression (flipping it face-up) you have the option to activate its effect immediately or not. Choosing to activate its effect immediately is STILL part of its initial activation.

Since you CHOSE to activate its effect immediately (you're attempting to negate a Special Summon) then you must pay 800 LP. If you waited for him to respond with Seven Tools WITHOUT choosing to activate Royal Oppression immediately at that point, then you don't pay 800 LP, and the Special Summoned monster survives.

Now you can say that you never really meant to negate the Special Summon and you're simply flipping Royal Oppression face-up in response to the Special Summon (which would be odd in most cases, but legit), then you should've waited for your opponent to respond to that activation before paying 800 LP. But since you didn't wait then it automatically means you're trying to activate Royal Oppression's effect immediately when you flipped it face-up.

Zeldanigma wrote:
No, the card has to be activated in order for me to pay the cost, it's not like solemn judgment or warning. He chained the activation I just didn't see the response.
again... there are two ways to activate Royal Oppression;
(a) flipping it face-up without activating its effect
(b) flipping it face-up and immediately activating its effect, LIKE solemn judgment or warning

-source TF5 game (confirmation might be necessary)

Last edited by KaousFaustXIII on 2011-07-18, 15:56; edited 1 time in total
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldanigma 2011-07-18, 15:48

Oh ok, I get it now, I've been so confused because it's a continous trap card and not a counter. But now i see that i can actually use it as a counter. Thank you guys
Zeldanigma
Zeldanigma

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-07-18, 16:16

Just to add, i wasn't 100% confident about my answer because my source is the TF5 game which has it shares of discrepancies regarding rulings, so i researched a bit and found some threads in other forums (i hope they dont mind me putting the links up)

link 1
link 2
link 3

hope that clears things up

cheers Cool
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Back to top Go down

Post  The DetonatorCOPY 2011-07-18, 18:08

We do indeed prefer the use of other forums/websites (preferably yugioh-card.com) to further strengthen your argument. Feel free to do so wherever you feel necessary.

Question answered.

Locked.
The DetonatorCOPY
The DetonatorCOPY

Birthday : 1991-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down