Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friend Confirmation

+9
Metta World Peace
Zero2Hero
CheyMcFly
Kaiba
Adept VantageSP
Tcbskater
TheRuler
AsherpotterCOPY
nero77
13 posters

Go down

Friend Confirmation Empty Friend Confirmation

Post  nero77 2012-01-19, 09:35

Can you add a setting that you must confirm first a friend request? I'm suggesting this because some dn users add me by random...
nero77
nero77

Birthday : 1994-09-07

Back to top Go down

Friend Confirmation Empty Re: Friend Confirmation

Post  AsherpotterCOPY 2012-01-19, 11:27

How does them adding you do anything to you? It just makes you blue to them when you're on.
AsherpotterCOPY
AsherpotterCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  TheRuler 2012-01-19, 11:28

Why does it bother? You don't have to answer their PMs anyway, they'll give up eventually
TheRuler
TheRuler

Birthday : 1996-03-05

http://tdga.forumotion.com/forum

Back to top Go down

Post  Tcbskater 2012-01-19, 14:05

Not to mention that they can PM you without adding you as a friend anyway.
Tcbskater
Tcbskater

Birthday : 1994-03-10

http://www.clocktowergaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-01-20, 04:49

ok then...
nero77
nero77

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-20, 04:51

If the system was a little more robust for friends, then it could be feasible. But as it is atm, confirmation is not needed.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-20, 05:25

Asherpotter wrote:How does them adding you do anything to you? It just makes you blue to them when you're on.
It makes you much easier to stalk. :\
Kaiba
Kaiba

Birthday : 1992-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-20, 05:45

Kaiba wrote:
Asherpotter wrote:How does them adding you do anything to you? It just makes you blue to them when you're on.
Even if you weren't friends you could just type their name in the profile viewer and find that they are online and watch their duels..
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Birthday : 1993-09-02

http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-01-20, 09:24

ok then i will do that...
nero77
nero77

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-20, 21:20

CheyMcFly wrote:
Kaiba wrote:
Even if you weren't friends you could just type their name in the profile viewer and find that they are online and watch their duels..

Which is...not as easy as clicking the online users thing and seeing that they are on.

If they need confirmation to have you on their friends list, and you say no, they won't know when you are on, and they will have to keep checking your profile until they see you are on.

Clearly, it's harder to do, and won't be worth the time to many people. Even for the people it IS worth the time to, it's still MUCH harder.

So...yeah, in short, like I said, it's MUCH easier to stalk a person when they don't need to confirm you as a friend. Yes, they can still follow you, but it's NOT THE SAME. Not even a LITTLE.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero2Hero 2012-01-20, 21:33

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:
Kaiba wrote:

Which is...not as easy as clicking the online users thing and seeing that they are on.

If they need confirmation to have you on their friends list, and you say no, they won't know when you are on, and they will have to keep checking your profile until they see you are on.

Clearly, it's harder to do, and won't be worth the time to many people. Even for the people it IS worth the time to, it's still MUCH harder.
Really? It only takes 5 seconds to type in a username -____-

So...yeah, in short, like I said, it's MUCH easier to stalk a person when they don't need to confirm you as a friend. Yes, they can still follow you, but it's NOT THE SAME. Not even a LITTLE.
Really? It only takes 5 seconds to type in a username -____-
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Birthday : 1994-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-20, 22:08

Zero2Hero wrote:Really? It only takes 5 seconds to type in a username -____-
It seems I need to approach this differently.

If someone is on your friends list, then you can see if they are on without going to their profile. Just open the online users tab thing, and their name will be on it.

And that lists updates automatically, unlike the profile, which you have to KEEP visiting to see if they've logged on.

See, the difference here is that you have to be ACTIVELY watching a person's profile, while you don't have to be doing that with the online list. You can just be going about your business on DN, and at any time you can check the list (or even have it constantly open no matter where you are) and know the INSTANT someone is on.

Obviously, this is FAR easier than having to drop what you are doing, navigate to the profile viewer, type in their name, hit enter, and hope they are on. And if they aren't, what are your options? Keep 'refreshing' their profile? Otherwise you leave their profile, and you won't get to know if they are online unless you RETURN to their profile.

When they are on your friends list, it's a thousand times easier. You don't have to waste time going to the profile viewer. You aren't relying on chance to see if they are online. Open the Online Users, drag it to the side of the screen, and do whatever. If they log on, you will know the very SECOND they do.

I don't see how you aren't understanding this.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-01-20, 23:43

i understand...
nero77
nero77

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-20, 23:45

Kaiba wrote:
Zero2Hero wrote:Really? It only takes 5 seconds to type in a username -____-
It seems I need to approach this differently.

If someone is on your friends list, then you can see if they are on without going to their profile. Just open the online users tab thing, and their name will be on it.

And that lists updates automatically, unlike the profile, which you have to KEEP visiting to see if they've logged on.

See, the difference here is that you have to be ACTIVELY watching a person's profile, while you don't have to be doing that with the online list. You can just be going about your business on DN, and at any time you can check the list (or even have it constantly open no matter where you are) and know the INSTANT someone is on.

Obviously, this is FAR easier than having to drop what you are doing, navigate to the profile viewer, type in their name, hit enter, and hope they are on. And if they aren't, what are your options? Keep 'refreshing' their profile? Otherwise you leave their profile, and you won't get to know if they are online unless you RETURN to their profile.

When they are on your friends list, it's a thousand times easier. You don't have to waste time going to the profile viewer. You aren't relying on chance to see if they are online. Open the Online Users, drag it to the side of the screen, and do whatever. If they log on, you will know the very SECOND they do.

I don't see how you aren't understanding this.

I don't see why them seeing you online is a big deal, anyone at any time can see that you are online. I don't understand the problem at all.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 02:08

When it comes to people stalking you, it matters.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 02:11

Kaiba wrote:When it comes to people stalking you, it matters.
No offense but who stalks on DN? and if they do, you can stop it. if they are harassing you report it. Boom. solved. I really don't see the issue. If someone "follows" you, you can make it so you have no watchers, or a duel note. So I really don't understand the issue
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Metta World Peace 2012-01-21, 02:33

I stalk on DN
Metta World Peace
Metta World Peace

Birthday : 1995-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 02:42

CheyMcFly wrote:
No offense but who stalks on DN? and if they do, you can stop it. if they are harassing you report it. Boom. solved. I really don't see the issue. If someone "follows" you, you can make it so you have no watchers, or a duel note. So I really don't understand the issue

It has to be a pretty bad case of stalking for the admins to think it's worth doing something about. They don't care how much a user is bothered by it. If it isn't seen to them as "extreme", they won't do shit.

And I don't host every duel I have. I tend to join duels much more often. I don't plan on only hosting duels from now on, by the way.

Not to mention duels where I want watchers (friends and such).
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2012-01-21, 02:49

As long as the stalking isn't lurking or they are following you for other misconduct not much will be done.

Just following you to your duels isn't a reason to take action.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 02:54

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:

It has to be a pretty bad case of stalking for the admins to think it's worth doing something about. They don't care how much a user is bothered by it. If it isn't seen to them as "extreme", they won't do shit.

And I don't host every duel I have. I tend to join duels much more often. I don't plan on only hosting duels from now on, by the way.

Not to mention duels where I want watchers (friends and such).

I really don't understand what your problem is, why don't you want people adding you? if they are harassing you, then it gets taken care of, otherwise why care..and make a duel password and tell your friends..there
problem solved..
even though there wasn't one..
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 03:33

CheyMcFly wrote:why don't you want people adding you?

Scroll up a bit. It's been said. PLEASE try to pay attention. You'll often be able to answer your own questions.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 04:31

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:why don't you want people adding you?

Scroll up a bit. It's been said. PLEASE try to pay attention. You'll often be able to answer your own questions.

I read your whole thread
them "stalking you" is because they added you?
That doesn't make any sense to me
are they pming you? if so ask them to stop, if they continue that is harassment and report it.
Are they watching your duel? Put a password and only tell the people you want to watch your duel it
Otherwise who cares if they see you online
Anyone at any given time can see if you are online ror not.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2012-01-21, 04:34

Not having a confirmation is better for right now due to wars. In a war, most players will add everyone on their opposing teams on their friends list as it allows them to find each other quickly.
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Birthday : 1992-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 05:15

CheyMcFly wrote:I read your whole thread

Not my thread. lol

I've already addressed the rest of your post in one way or another, so if you'd like an answer, reread the thread.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 05:21

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:I read your whole thread

Not my thread. lol

I've already addressed the rest of your post in one way or another, so if you'd like an answer, reread the thread.

Why do you care if people see if you are online if you can stop them from doing anything further than that?

You are ignoring me when I am giving you suggestions on how to stop it IF they are going further. If not, there is no problem.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 16:04

CheyMcFly wrote:Why do you care if people see if you are online if you can stop them from doing anything further than that?
Because I wouldn't have to stop them from doing "anything further" if they weren't able to add me to their friends list without permission.

Yes, they're capable of typing my name in the profile viewer to see me, but as I explained before, it's not as easy as keeping the online users list open at all times (or even just open it periodically) to know the second I log on.

As for your suggestions on how to stop it...well, that's been addressed already as well. But for some reason, you refuse to scroll up a bit to find your answers. ffs, it's not that hard.

Report abuse to an admin? Well gee, let's scroll up a bit.

Kaiba wrote:It has to be a pretty bad case of stalking for the admins to think it's worth doing something about. They don't care how much a user is bothered by it. If it isn't seen to them as "extreme", they won't do shit.

Followed by confirmation of this statement:

DarkRiku wrote:As long as the stalking isn't lurking or they are following you for other misconduct not much will be done.

As you can see, reporting this to an admin is not the solution. They don't care if someone is extremely bothered by the same person watching each of their duels. They aren't going to do A THING because they don't think it's that big of a deal. Even if the member is so freaked out that they're on the verge of leaving the site. And only hosting duels from now on with Watching turned off isn't the solution either, because you can still receive PMs from these people. PMs that bother them, but that admins don't think are bad enough to do anything about it. ie. "Why aren't you dueling? I want to watch you duel." and "Hi, talk to me." and "Tell me about yourself" and a thousand more seemingly non-threatening actions that put the stalkee on edge - under pressure - in an uncomfortable position. But the admins don't care. If it's not glaringly obvious that the stalker is doing something bad, they'll brush it aside and say some useless shit like "just ignore them". Problem is, not everyone can. Not everyone is as thick-skinned as the admins apparently are. When it comes to stalking, ALL BETS ARE OFF. You can't tell a person how they should react to it. And you can't say that something "isn't a problem". If the person being stalked is bothered by it, then it clearly IS a problem, and is something that NEEDS to be seen to. It doesn't have to be a ban, but it at least has to be the admin contacting the stalker and telling them to stop or they will get banned.

Making it so a user needs to confirm someone adding them to their friends list as well as an Ignore List on DN (especially this) would help A LOT in taking care of this problem.

And again, about your suggestion of hosting duels with watching off:

Kaiba wrote:I don't host every duel I have. I tend to join duels much more often. I don't plan on only hosting duels from now on, by the way.

All my answers are already in this thread. I'm not going to keep repeating myself just because you refuse to listen to what has been said already.

Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-21, 16:07

I don't know about most of you, but if I had somebody stalking me I'd be quite flattered.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 16:09

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:Why do you care if people see if you are online if you can stop them from doing anything further than that?
Because I wouldn't have to stop them from doing "anything further" if they weren't able to add me to their friends list without permission.

Yes, they're capable of typing my name in the profile viewer to see me, but as I explained before, it's not as easy as keeping the online users list open at all times (or even just open it periodically) to know the second I log on.

As for your suggestions on how to stop it...well, that's been addressed already as well. But for some reason, you refuse to scroll up a bit to find your answers. ffs, it's not that hard.

Report abuse to an admin? Well gee, let's scroll up a bit.

Kaiba wrote:It has to be a pretty bad case of stalking for the admins to think it's worth doing something about. They don't care how much a user is bothered by it. If it isn't seen to them as "extreme", they won't do shit.

Followed by confirmation of this statement:

DarkRiku wrote:As long as the stalking isn't lurking or they are following you for other misconduct not much will be done.

As you can see, reporting this to an admin is not the solution. They don't care if someone is extremely bothered by the same person watching each of their duels. They aren't going to do A THING because they don't think it's that big of a deal. Even if the member is so freaked out that they're on the verge of leaving the site. And only hosting duels from now on with Watching turned off isn't the solution either, because you can still receive PMs from these people. PMs that bother them, but that admins don't think are bad enough to do anything about it. ie. "Why aren't you dueling? I want to watch you duel." and "Hi, talk to me." and "Tell me about yourself" and a thousand more seemingly non-threatening actions that put the stalkee on edge - under pressure - in an uncomfortable position. But the admins don't care. If it's not glaringly obvious that the stalker is doing something bad, they'll brush it aside and say some useless shit like "just ignore them". Problem is, not everyone can. Not everyone is as thick-skinned as the admins apparently are. When it comes to stalking, ALL BETS ARE OFF. You can't tell a person how they should react to it. And you can't say that something "isn't a problem". If the person being stalked is bothered by it, then it clearly IS a problem, and is something that NEEDS to be seen to. It doesn't have to be a ban, but it at least has to be the admin contacting the stalker and telling them to stop or they will get banned.

Making it so a user needs to confirm someone adding them to their friends list as well as an Ignore List on DN (especially this) would help A LOT in taking care of this problem.

And again, about your suggestion of hosting duels with watching off:

Kaiba wrote:I don't host every duel I have. I tend to join duels much more often. I don't plan on only hosting duels from now on, by the way.

All my answers are already in this thread. I'm not going to keep repeating myself just because you refuse to listen to what has been said already.

i still don't understand
someone is following you
but doing nothing else
problem is where?
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Metta World Peace 2012-01-21, 16:10

I stalk people on DN
Metta World Peace
Metta World Peace

Birthday : 1995-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 16:14

CheyMcFly wrote:i still don't understand
someone is following you
but doing nothing else
problem is where?

I cannot facepalm hard enough.

The problem is that the person being followed is bothered by it.

Like...I can't even explain further than I already have. If someone is being bothered by someone following them, then clearly, THERE IS A PROBLEM.

It doesn't matter if other people don't understand. It doesn't matter if other people don't think it's "that big of a deal".

What matters is that someone is being made uncomfortable. That the person in question is bothered.

Do you think it means SHIT that YOU don't see a problem? Do you think that solves things? Hm? Oh gee, Chey thinks that it's not a problem. So CLEARLY you should be fine now. Someone is following you? You don't like it? You're SCARED? Well, sorry, but CHEY here doesn't see the problem. So that means there ISN'T ONE. Makes sense, right?

oh wait. No. It doesn't.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-21, 16:16

Have you tried telling the person to stop following you yet?
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 16:24

I'll point out that I'm having no stalking problems right now.

What I'm arguing for is the people who are.

So you guys can stop suggesting to me what to do.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-01-21, 16:25

Kaiba wrote:
CheyMcFly wrote:i still don't understand
someone is following you
but doing nothing else
problem is where?

I cannot facepalm hard enough.

The problem is that the person being followed is bothered by it.

Like...I can't even explain further than I already have. If someone is being bothered by someone following them, then clearly, THERE IS A PROBLEM.

It doesn't matter if other people don't understand. It doesn't matter if other people don't think it's "that big of a deal".

What matters is that someone is being made uncomfortable. That the person in question is bothered.

Do you think it means SHIT that YOU don't see a problem? Do you think that solves things? Hm? Oh gee, Chey thinks that it's not a problem. So CLEARLY you should be fine now. Someone is following you? You don't like it? You're SCARED? Well, sorry, but CHEY here doesn't see the problem. So that means there ISN'T ONE. Makes sense, right?

oh wait. No. It doesn't.
lolololol
laughing at how angry you are

okay seriously though
this person is just following you and nothing else?
As we said before even the friends list needed permission, he could still find your duels, not as quickly unless he is that intent on following you, but he still could go to all of your duels/pm you/.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just saw that youposted above me
once again if someone is stalking you there are easy ways to prevent it.
if they go ANY further, report it.

Last edited by CheyMcFly on 2012-01-21, 16:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i got ninja'd)
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-21, 16:33

CheyMcFly wrote:laughing at how angry you are

Not angry. Just annoyed at how unbelievably stupid you are. (caps and italics are used to emphasize words - not show anger, lol)

And you are STILL ignoring my posts!

Report it? As I said before (and was confirmed by an admin), that will usually not do shit.

I won't even bother reminding you of what else has ALREADY BEEN SAID that answers the rest of your questions/comments/suggestions. Just freaking scroll up for once.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Back to top Go down

Post  DefiniteOtaku 2012-01-21, 16:35

I'm ending this now.
The idea will most likely not be implemented.
Lock'd
DefiniteOtaku
DefiniteOtaku
Chaotic Stupid
Chaotic Stupid

Birthday : 1992-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down