Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet

+10
Red_Chaos
Adept VantageSP
Badass_Bunny
Rose Dragon
Lovelace
012yArthur0
raidou
Metta World Peace
Exiled
Gmoose
14 posters

Go down

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet Empty ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-22, 21:28

Yeah, so apparently this thing's been in negotiations for a while now, what it does is pretty much turns whoever your Internet Service Provider is, into a mini-Copyright Monitor. ACTA holds the ISP's responsible for the actions of their users, so if their users were doing something illegal the ISP's would suffer not the users. This in turn leads to ISP's monitoring their user's activity and downloads in an attempt to prevent any possible lawsuits. Thus the users suffer and not the ISP's. Not only that, but the ISP's monitoring of online activity could not only lead to a lot of site who infringe on copyright getting shut down(E.G. similar to what happened to MegaUpload) but could also prevent shipments, if the material being shipped was unfavorable to manufacturers(E.G. Selling something online). In other words, ACTA will be really devastating to pretty much anyone who uses the internet.

This video should sum up a bit of it:

For more info on ACTA visit this site: Stop ACTA!
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet Empty Re: ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet

Post  Exiled 2012-01-22, 22:07

Isnt this basically whats going on with SOPA and PIPA, btw megaupload wasnt shut down cause of this, they were breaking already existing laws.
Exiled
Exiled

Back to top Go down

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet Empty Re: ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet

Post  Metta World Peace 2012-01-22, 22:07

How about we just stop downloaded pirated content of off the internet.
Metta World Peace
Metta World Peace

Birthday : 1995-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-22, 22:23

Exiled wrote:Isnt this basically whats going on with SOPA and PIPA, btw megaupload wasnt shut down cause of this, they were breaking already existing laws.

ACTA is worse because it affects a much larger range than PIPA and SOPA since its being voted on as a "Trade Agreement" between various countries. And I know that Megaupload was seized by the FBI without the aid of SOPA or PIPA, I was merely using it as an example of what might happen to other sites.

Metta World Peace wrote:How about we just stop downloaded pirated content of off the internet.

The term pirated content can apply to various things one would not consider as such, an example is utilizing images that don't belong to you to create something(although some images do fall into Public Domain and under the Fair Use Agreement) or posting videos on youtube that play a song in the background. The thing about ACTA is that it could punish sites for user error, and that's what I find the most unacceptable.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Exiled 2012-01-22, 22:30

I think the synonem used on the website you linked to says it perfectly, making ISP's responsible for third party usage is like making the post office liable for what it mails
Exiled
Exiled

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-22, 22:35

Exiled wrote:I think the synonem used on the website you linked to says it perfectly, making ISP's responsible for third party usage is like making the post office liable for what it mails

Yup, but we all know what kind of things are liable to be "mailed" through the internet.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-23, 20:34

Although the Big Brother concept attached it could lead to some serious implications regarding privacy.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-25, 21:03

Here's an informational video that goes a bit more in depth on the consequences of ACTA:

It seems kind of depressing, that so few people seem to care about this, even though I'm pretty sure most people would not want to be monitored.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-26, 18:07

Metta World Peace wrote:How about we just stop downloaded pirated content of off the internet.

for what i read

it wont matter theyll still watch everything you do
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  012yArthur0 2012-01-26, 18:09

So goodbye Signatures,DN,Youtube and whatever
012yArthur0
012yArthur0

Birthday : 1997-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2012-01-26, 18:32

This isnt really going to happen, right?
Lovelace
Lovelace

Birthday : 1999-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-26, 23:12

who knows ?

seems they are doing it all in secret
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2012-01-26, 23:17

what I do if this happens?
Lovelace
Lovelace

Birthday : 1999-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 01:22

Lovelace wrote:what I do if this happens?

If it does happen the government will have essentially dominated the internet and its vast glory. So all we can do in the meanwhile is protest it the best way we can, by telling our representatives that we won't stand for this kind of bullsh*t!(censored just in case anyone would be offended)
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 01:26

Well apparently The United States has already signed in on the agreement, not sure if it'll manage to pass through the House or not but, dang that sure is getting awfully close to being a reality!

Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-27, 01:43

isnt it scary people arent talking about this one as much as they were talking about SOPA?
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 01:45

raidou wrote:isnt it scary people arent talking about this one as much as they were talking about SOPA?

Yes it is and that's what's really upsetting because this is the one that if passed will hurt the most, although one could argue that the reason not so many people know about ACTA is because of the lack of media coverage. Media coverage always helps to play up things like this.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Rose Dragon 2012-01-27, 02:23

If you don't agree with ACTA, or that Obama, should have signed for it, please make a account real quick and sign this petition :3

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/please-submit-acta-senate-ratification-required-constitution-trade-agreements/VgZJGZMt#thank-you=p
Rose Dragon
Rose Dragon

Birthday : 1992-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 21:20

Rose Dragon wrote:If you don't agree with ACTA, or that Obama, should have signed for it, please make a account real quick and sign this petition :3

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/!/petition/please-submit-acta-senate-ratification-required-constitution-trade-agreements/VgZJGZMt#thank-you=p

Wow, yes this is exactly the kind of thing we need, thanks Rose! Okay everyone what that link that Rose posted is for, is a petition to make ACTA be submitted to the senate for ratification. What this means is that ACTA cannot be passed without the majority of the senate voting in favor for it. However if they are properly informed on what it is there's the possibility that they'll wind up voting ACTA down and well, it means that we won't have to worry about privacy breach. Everyone if you want to protest ACTA sign the petition!
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-27, 21:32

This thing got signed in Tokyo last night

RIP Internet 1983-2012
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-27, 21:43

........... America and co. are now officially tools. Hurray for communism! -_-
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2012-01-27, 21:47

VantageSP wrote:........... the America president and co. are now officially tools. Hurray for communism! -_-

there fixed it for you :3
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-27, 21:48

ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet 12bneuralizer

^^WE NEED THOSE!!!
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 21:50

Badass_Bunny wrote:This thing got signed in Tokyo last night

RIP Internet 1983-2012

Its not over just yet, at least not until they start enforcing it, and by signing it they mean that they agree to proceed in the agreement, I don't think it'll actually pass until all of the countries associated with it ratify it.

VantageSP wrote:........... America and co. are now officially tools. Hurray for communism! -_-

How so?

Badass_Bunny wrote:
^^WE NEED THOSE!!!

Yes, yes we do.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-27, 21:51

The US needs to take the stick out of their behind and get their head together. Yes, I agree pirating is wrong, but being a bully never solves the problem. That is all America is atm, is a bully.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-27, 21:56

VantageSP wrote:The US needs to take the stick out of their behind and get their head together. Yes, I agree pirating is wrong, but being a bully never solves the problem. That is all America is atm, is a bully.

You do know ACTA isn't planned by America right? Its being pushed by the corporates and other companies(pretty much Hollywood) in an attempt to circumvent "piracy". Its being negotiated by people who don't even represent the interests of the country, all they want is money.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2012-01-27, 22:01

...van i know you hate me but come on don't blame the majority of Americans when its the minority that messes with the rules and know i don't mean minority in terms of black, Hispanics, and women.
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-27, 22:08

America is controlled by corporations. These corporations and such are behind this. I do not mean the average citizens, I mean the companies and government officials behind this.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  AsherpotterCOPY 2012-01-28, 02:43

Just one after another...
AsherpotterCOPY
AsherpotterCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-01-28, 04:53

Wait...SOPA rejected and they think of something even worse?!?!

Seriously, if this gets rejected you might as well just literally destroy the internet all over the world!
IN AMERICA! It's all going downhill even further, I thought Europe was weird....

Ps: Gmoose, if you don't want to get in trouble you better don't double/triple post all the time.
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Birthday : 1995-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-28, 07:28

SOPA Just got delayed it still isn't rejected
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-01-28, 11:49

ACTA + SOPA = RIP Internet ....
IN AMERICA everything is just worse then anywhere but IN AMERICA!
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-28, 16:42

3E-hero neos wrote:Wait...SOPA rejected and they think of something even worse?!?!

Seriously, if this gets rejected you might as well just literally destroy the internet all over the world!
IN AMERICA! It's all going downhill even further, I thought Europe was weird....

Ps: Gmoose, if you don't want to get in trouble you better don't double/triple post all the time.

Yeah SOPA's only delayed temporarily delayed, and ACTA's been in negotiation for over 3 years, so its not necessarily recent, its just that it was secret.

Also I'm confused as to what you mean by double posting, I'm kind of new to the forum and don't have the hang of everything yet.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2012-01-28, 19:49

Double posting = making a new post instead of using the edit button or posting the exact same thing twice.

Wait(again).....3 years negotiation secretly, the US government can go (bad word) themselves. And I still hope SOPA will be rejected or delayed for like a 100 years.
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-01-29, 17:03

3E-hero neos wrote:Double posting = making a new post instead of using the edit button or posting the exact same thing twice.

Wait(again).....3 years negotiation secretly, the US government can go (bad word) themselves. And I still hope SOPA will be rejected or delayed for like a 100 years.

Oh I see, ok I'll try to not post double then, also ACTA is an international thing not just US if you click on the info link on the OP it'll tell you which countries.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  StormShadow1990 2012-02-06, 06:37

The real question I got in my mind is now.
Will ACTA if it comes into effect someday affect Dueling Network ?
StormShadow1990
StormShadow1990

Birthday : 1990-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  CEMO 2012-02-06, 22:45

it may eventually affect this site. I mean yugioh is copyright protected and I'm sure they can make the outrageous excuse that us using this site to play the game with cards that we may not have has an effect on their sales blah blah blah

similar to what the music industry did with sueing sites for letting people preview the song prior to purchasing it

this is a good example what everyone is fearing about these anti-piracy laws:
http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/03/ubisoft-games-wont-work-next-week/
it's wrong to enforce copyright like this. What happens to the people who paid legally for those games? Do they get back their money? It's completely legal for this to happen without any compensation to the consumer.
CEMO
CEMO

Back to top Go down

Post  Gmoose 2012-02-11, 13:43

StormShadow1990 wrote:The real question I got in my mind is now.
Will ACTA if it comes into effect someday affect Dueling Network ?

Yes it would since even using the smallest amount of copyrighted content is enough to warrant something, when you think about it a lot of things online are going to be affected.

CEMO wrote:it may eventually affect this site. I mean yugioh is copyright protected and I'm sure they can make the outrageous excuse that us using this site to play the game with cards that we may not have has an effect on their sales blah blah blah

similar to what the music industry did with sueing sites for letting people preview the song prior to purchasing it

this is a good example what everyone is fearing about these anti-piracy laws:
http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/03/ubisoft-games-wont-work-next-week/
it's wrong to enforce copyright like this. What happens to the people who paid legally for those games? Do they get back their money? It's completely legal for this to happen without any compensation to the consumer.

I'm pretty sure that Ubisoft's move is mainly for monetary gain, think about it, you go out and buy a used game, you then go home pop it in your game system ready for some game time and BAM, the game requires conformation with the server that you own the game, and what's this? There happens to be a pass you can purchase to play? Ok bought it, load up the game and realize you can't play online, well guess what? They got a pass for that too. ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) and the End of the Internet 458577120

Personally I think its pretty sad that soon major corporations will have a ridiculous amount of control over who can play their games.
Gmoose
Gmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down