Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

+18
! Alestorm !
nero77
[S]tarstrike
Zero2Hero
Occultdude17
CheyMcFly
DarkRiku
kangtuji
Miley Syrus +
TheBeardedLady
WrightJustice
S.S.A.
Badass_Bunny
Adept VantageSP
Greatdude
Phraxure
Phoenix Wright
TheFunhouseDuelist
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz Empty Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-01-29, 09:53

Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

Maybe have ranks of members on the DNS - newbies, and those who take various quizzes to become established as novice, amateur, competent, professional?
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

http://www.ADinHD.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz Empty Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-01-29, 09:56

Why would anyone want to do that?
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz Empty Re: Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz

Post  Phraxure 2012-01-29, 10:12

This wouldn't be fair for new players who have no clue about Yu-Gi-Oh and are just introduced to Dueling Network. This wouldn't stop or solve any problems either.
Phraxure
Phraxure

Birthday : 1997-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatdude 2012-01-29, 10:23

I don't see why this is needed?

So that pro's can discriminate against beginners? That's awful.

Greatdude

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-29, 10:45

How about a basic anti-spam measure? Like one of them Captcha's. Also, possibly a more advanced one that restricts IPs/Computers to 1-2 accounts made per day/week. Something to stop account spamming when banned.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-29, 11:42

Greatdude wrote:I don't see why this is needed?

So that pro's can discriminate against beginners? That's awful.

No so that "pro's" can play with "beginners" who actually know how the game works, you have no idea the amount of people who want to play YGO but have never read the rulebook.

Vantage idea seem OK, I there should definitely be a link to rulebook when you attempt to register
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-29, 12:00

10 min flash tutorial on how to use DN anyone? But yeah, some sort of rule book or general guidelines would be nice (shown at time of registration), like how the donation system was done. Leads to a page with rules and such.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  S.S.A. 2012-01-29, 12:53

yea, a page of rules would be a great idea, because as everyone saw last week, some people are kinda stupid lol
S.S.A.
S.S.A.

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2012-01-29, 13:03

Vantage, excellent ideas!
Phraxure
Phraxure

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-01-29, 15:36

You don't need 10 min to learn how to use the software, but an introductory quiz of basics like hand size, picking which cards you can chain, picking what result would happen next in a turn sequence / chain would take less than a minute for a knowledgeable player.

You shouldn't be targetting people who've never played the game before as a priority over those who have if you don't have any form of lesson structure to teach the game.

You could even tie it into the YGX dorms if you wanted to be crass.

There's nothing supremist about it, it just means that you'd know that people were good players.

The current rating system allows prejudiced, so the first few comments here should consider that before sniping at something which would allow new players to show that they are competent.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Greatdude 2012-01-29, 15:56

I think making a tutorial on how to use DN would be better than a guide on how to play the game.

Greatdude

Back to top Go down

Post  WrightJustice 2012-01-29, 18:40

The first suggestion is rather over the top IMO, it puts off people from joining and newbies who just want to learn and get started will definitely feel put off from it.
It's a sure fire way to stop people from using it, especially if it gets implemented and to be fair everyone has to take the quiz just to sort it out and not just saying "oh they're already signed up before this so they don't need to take it".

However, maybe something that pops up when you first sign up that says "Do know know how to play?" and has options linking to a rule book and maybe a tutorial for both DN and yugioh.
Though, there could just be a button that's always up and it flashes like mad when you first sign up with the popup asking if they know how to play.

WrightJustice

Birthday : 1991-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  TheBeardedLady 2012-02-01, 14:11

once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.
TheBeardedLady
TheBeardedLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Miley Syrus + 2012-02-01, 14:22

Yu-gi Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I don't ask you to fill out an exam when wanting to compete in a YCS tournament. Everyone has a right to be a part of the site regardless of how well they play, if they don't know how then offer to teach them don't exile them. For all you know he can be the next pro.
Miley Syrus +
Miley Syrus +

Birthday : 1991-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2012-02-01, 14:53

TheBeardedLady wrote:once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz Misc-true-story

You must be new here,
DN never accept any suggestion from members
Anything that suggest by member, they always (and will have) any way to denies it.

The simplest one, when was last time a member suggest an avatar ?
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2012-02-01, 15:24

kangtuji wrote:
TheBeardedLady wrote:once again the higher ups are praised for wonderful ideas but the just regular users get bashed at for an idea, i dont agree with either one.

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz Misc-true-story

You must be new here,
DN never accept any suggestion from members
Anything that suggest by member, they always (and will have) any way to denies it.

The simplest one, when was last time a member suggest an avatar ?

Never?

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t13842-call-admin-ticker

DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-01, 15:30

Kang you are so narrow minded -.-

anyways this is unfair. I learned how to duel with DN and if I didn't I wouldn't even be playing today. If I saw one of those I would of just left and never started dueling. That's like pushing players away if you aren't good enough or up to date on the rules. If you do face someone who is new then help them out or call an admin if you are really having that hard of time. But pushing away new players is something I do not think DN wants to do.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Birthday : 1993-09-02

http://cheymcfly.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2012-02-01, 16:12

How is this a good idea?
Phraxure
Phraxure

Back to top Go down

Post  Occultdude17 2012-02-01, 17:04

Captchas won't stop spammers, as the users on here are usually human. The best idea would be tutorials on the game mechanics, as well as on dueling etiquette.
Occultdude17
Occultdude17

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-02, 06:09

That was the suggestion.

A quick quiz to see where you stand.

There's nothing to stop players actively seeking out those with whatever differentiates - say different colours.

A simple quiz, say 10 BASIC questions.

How many monsters can you normally summon each turn?
1/2/3

Which card has the greatest speed?
QPS/Counter/Effect Monster

How many copies of a card are normally allowed in a deck?
3/4/5

etc

Just so that players know the basics. It'll take 20, 30 seconds to click through, even if you don't know the answers.

If that impedes you from signing up, then you obviously didn't really want to play.

And yes, I have noticed that attitude towards members, especially new ones, in previous threads.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-02, 13:03

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:That was the suggestion.

A quick quiz to see where you stand.

There's nothing to stop players actively seeking out those with whatever differentiates - say different colours.

A simple quiz, say 10 BASIC questions.

How many monsters can you normally summon each turn?
1/2/3

Which card has the greatest speed?
QPS/Counter/Effect Monster

How many copies of a card are normally allowed in a deck?
3/4/5

etc

Just so that players know the basics. It'll take 20, 30 seconds to click through, even if you don't know the answers.

If that impedes you from signing up, then you obviously didn't really want to play.

And yes, I have noticed that attitude towards members, especially new ones, in previous threads.

I dont think you need to be required to know anything to start a hobby. I started DN here thinking normal decks were 60 cards. I didn't know some were limited or semi limited or anything .IF they had this test I feel like it would scare off new players and DN does not want that.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-03, 07:56

To start a hobby, no, but to actually interact in it, yes.

The lack of any indication of levels in players here - ratings aside, as they are completely abusable - can pair up complete amateurs with those using intricate decks.

That nobody waits after playing their cards - I'm guilty of this myself, but it's become habit since I started playing here as people tend to berate you for always asking for a response - is a big factor in this as well.

Having a 2 or 3 second delay after every action could remedy this I guess, although I can already see that being shot down as an unnecessary hindrance.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero2Hero 2012-02-03, 08:08

@Funhouse
Seriously? Yeah, this is not gonna happen.

@Vantagesp
We have tutorials in the forum, plus DN is easy to work, took me only 5 minutes to learn in my first time.

@BeardedLady
Whether he's staff or not, if you like the idea, that's fine. If you don't, you don't. People agreeing with him isn't gonna make it happen.
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Birthday : 1994-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-03, 08:33

Seriously what?
The timer or the quiz or the colours for players marking them as knowing how to play?

A few ideas have popped up to combat the obvious lack of any attention to the problem.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-03, 09:48

I don't understand why you want to make people have to be at a certain level of "skill" to play on here. That's just rude and unfair. If a nooby wants to play, why not let them? why make the pass a test? because some members on here are rude? no, that's not fair.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  [S]tarstrike 2012-02-03, 10:03

Lol...if it scares people away from playing a game that they should have read the rulebook for first, then bummer. You don't just jump into a game or any hobby with no clue how to play.

Your first steps are reading the rulebook and understanding how to even build a deck based on the limited & forbidden list as well as the rest of the basic mechanics given in the rulebook. You don't just make a deck and play unless you have someone who is set out to show you how to play.

You don't get to drive a car on your own without taking your written & driving test to get your license.

Ten basic questions on simple game mechanics to make sure you have some sort of understanding of the game is not a big deal. If they get too many wrong and can't sign up, give it a 24 hour wait period to try again. This way people who are dumb enough to start playing Yu-Gi-Oh without reading the rulebook first will now have 24 hours to do so and try the quiz again.

The quiz should also include questions on DN's specific rules to make sure that they are read and understood. Won't be anymore of this, "I didn't know that admitting defeat 10 times in 2 minutes would get me banned" crap.

Seriously, stop feeling sorry for new people who join this site and then act like they've been playing forever when they don't know a damn thing, then swear at you and quit like a child.
[S]tarstrike
[S]tarstrike

Birthday : 1989-09-20

https://www.facebook.com/ryderjj89

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2012-02-03, 11:27

Could be worse...

They use autopilots deck (copied from net, obviously),
winning / crushing your deck easily, disregard unknown how to play, and insulting you than quit like a child whenever you offer rematch
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  Phraxure 2012-02-03, 11:43

Or how about, for first time users, when the join they can receive a link asking them if they'd like to visit the rules and a rulebook [or even a tutorial], and then if they know already how to play then can just choose to skip it?
Phraxure
Phraxure

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-03, 13:27

[S]tarstrike wrote:Lol...if it scares people away from playing a game that they should have read the rulebook for first, then bummer. You don't just jump into a game or any hobby with no clue how to play.

Your first steps are reading the rulebook and understanding how to even build a deck based on the limited & forbidden list as well as the rest of the basic mechanics given in the rulebook. You don't just make a deck and play unless you have someone who is set out to show you how to play.

You don't get to drive a car on your own without taking your written & driving test to get your license.

Ten basic questions on simple game mechanics to make sure you have some sort of understanding of the game is not a big deal. If they get too many wrong and can't sign up, give it a 24 hour wait period to try again. This way people who are dumb enough to start playing Yu-Gi-Oh without reading the rulebook first will now have 24 hours to do so and try the quiz again.

The quiz should also include questions on DN's specific rules to make sure that they are read and understood. Won't be anymore of this, "I didn't know that admitting defeat 10 times in 2 minutes would get me banned" crap.

Seriously, stop feeling sorry for new people who join this site and then act like they've been playing forever when they don't know a damn thing, then swear at you and quit like a child.

your last paragraph is generlizing a group of people because you have run into a few rude people. I honestly came here not knowing a thing. My friend make me a deck and told me to play on DN and I learned here. I thought MST negated. But once someone explained it to me I was fine. Honestly DN=/= driving. I see what you are saying, but I don't see why you need to be at least this familiar with this game to want to get more into it. And honestly if I just read the rulebook instead of playing to learn I probably wouldn't of retained any of it. It would of just been words with no correlations. The playing while being explained what/why something happens is crucial. You don't take your license test just by reading the rules. You practice driving. I say playing on DN is practice for playing IRL for a lot of people. Anyways if someone is new and needs help how hard is it to help someone out? Personally I help out as much as I can, especially with new people. I don't see why you and so many other people have such a problem with it. If someone is new you can easily just not face them by checking their rating/ranking or their profile.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  nero77 2012-02-03, 13:43

Before you sign up in DN you should read the rulebook first of course.
nero77
nero77

Birthday : 1994-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-04, 15:48

Nobody here - especially myself - has said that you should not be allowed to join up if you don't pass a test.

That would be ridiculous.

The main request is to have people banded in a set colour so that people who ARE looking for professional / capable players won't be stuck fighting those learning.

Having it coloured, based on your quizes, possibly rep through tourneys or such, means that it's easier and less abusable.

TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  ! Alestorm ! 2012-02-04, 15:59

Miley Syrus + wrote:

I don't ask you to fill out an exam when wanting to compete in a YCS tournament. Everyone has a right to be a part of the site regardless of how well they play, if they don't know how then offer to teach them don't exile them. For all you know he can be the next pro.

Agreed..and miley has posted many videos on how the site works..if we want to address this..maybe every so often post a review video...idk..dont exclude new players..like i suggested in another topic..maybe to help out new players a rule book would be nice..aswell as possibly a list of pre made structure decks so they get an idea on how decks work..and possibly avoid them getting laughed at for having 60 cards in their deck >.>
! Alestorm !
! Alestorm !

Back to top Go down

Post  AsherpotterCOPY 2012-02-04, 17:25

But then we'd have no users...
AsherpotterCOPY
AsherpotterCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero2Hero 2012-02-04, 17:30

Asherpotter wrote:But then we'd have no users...
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me!

On the OT: Bad suggestion is bad
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Back to top Go down

Post  Occultdude17 2012-02-05, 02:57

Excluding players is a stupid idea. Just create some tutorials and make them really easy to use/obvious to find. Or link to existing material. If they still screw up, then they're just stupid and there's nothing we can do about that.
Occultdude17
Occultdude17

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-05, 05:56

Where is the idea that this excludes players comes from?

Players already need to spend a few seconds creating an account, adding something like this in will add a minute at most.

The issue isn't how to use the site - although I've never heard of those. Indeed, I'd never heard of the forum until I googled the duelingnetwork URL and saw them.

Both are incredibly poorly advertised, which DOES exclude players.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  ! Alestorm ! 2012-02-05, 10:06

the forum isnt poorly advertised..there is a link right on the homepage of dueling network >.> maybe you need the tutorial Surprised but seriously..bad idea..

if any quiz is to be inputted when signing up..then is should be a quiz on if that player knows how to have fun with the game..and not be so serious and unfun..cause serious people make the game feel very awkward >.>
! Alestorm !
! Alestorm !

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2012-02-07, 00:41

Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)

Extra step when making an account - add a basic rules quiz WpwSp

I fully support this suggestion
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-07, 00:59

kangtuji wrote:Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)

You get rep from losing
and of course YOU do kang
of course YOU do
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-02-07, 01:02

kangtuji wrote:Not knowing the basic rule is already pain in the ass.... + bad attitude = make it worsen (note, that dude has 250+ rep, dunno how did he get those rep with bad rulings.. must be cheatign all the way)

I'm sorry if I fail to take you seriously, but I've seen you rage at so many people who have actually asked why their wrong and listened. Even people who don't get the "basic" Dark World rule.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2012-02-07, 01:06

I wasn't pointing about winning or losing
but this is about right and wrong, (and basic rules)

Basic as in meaning someone that everybody should knew already, and I didn't even rulesharking it
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-07, 01:46

kangtuji wrote:I wasn't pointing about winning or losing
but this is about right and wrong, (and basic rules)

Basic as in meaning someone that everybody should knew already, and I didn't even rulesharking it

*facedesk*

Kang, we get it, you think anytime anyone does ANYTHING wrong or does not know ONE ruling they are incompetent net deckers, but what you consider basic rules may not be basic to everyone else. Who cares if some new players don't know basic rules? help them out. That's all you need to do.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-07, 06:42

And that's what a quiz would do.

Help them out.

It will establish them with a basic knowledge.

They would learn what they didn't know, because you can tell them when they get it wrong.

I'm really not getting HOW people can say this is a bad idea.

It does NOTHING to deter players that isn't already being done, and a lot to help them.

And the forum is not advertised.

Having a link, and advertising, are completely different things.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2012-02-07, 07:35

In that case, instead of a rules quiz, why not just offer a link to the rulebook?
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-02-07, 15:47

The problem here:
By reading the first post is sounds like people who don't pass don't get to play.
By reading TC's other posts that does not seem to be the intent at all.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFunhouseDuelist 2012-02-08, 08:14

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

Maybe have ranks of members on the DNS - newbies, and those who take various quizzes to become established as novice, amateur, competent, professional?

I guess the first sentence is where people are getting confused?

Although even that is just a vague implication that it would disallow people from playing.

The intent is by no means to stop people playing, but merely to let others know how much they know about the game.

A link to the rulebook would be useful, but mostly ignored, especially if it's placed like the link to the forums.

Hidden in a scroll box isn't really helpful. It should be clear and accessible.

And it doesn't even directly reference it as the forums, as it's named Support, which could implicate it being only for if you're in trouble.

Back to the original purpose of this, instigating a colour or symbol, showing that you've passed different levels of quizzes wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Even have different coloured names or some such.

And on another colour-related note, being able to pick your colour for the chatbox would be nice.

And help to keep track of who says what.
TheFunhouseDuelist
TheFunhouseDuelist

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-08, 08:25

TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:
TheFunhouseDuelist wrote:Means people will have to prove at least once that they know how to play.

I guess the first sentence is where people are getting confused?

Although even that is just a vague implication that it would disallow people from playing.

The intent is by no means to stop people playing, but merely to let others know how much they know about the game.

A link to the rulebook would be useful, but mostly ignored, especially if it's placed like the link to the forums.

Hidden in a scroll box isn't really helpful. It should be clear and accessible.

And it doesn't even directly reference it as the forums, as it's named Support, which could implicate it being only for if you're in trouble.

Back to the original purpose of this, instigating a colour or symbol, showing that you've passed different levels of quizzes wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

Even have different coloured names or some such.

And on another colour-related note, being able to pick your colour for the chatbox would be nice.

And help to keep track of who says what.

so let me get this...you take one test when you first start DN and it judges you throughout your play the whole time your there?

The colors are
red for you
blue for otherusers
green/gold/grey for admins

There is nothing wrong with the color sysytem >_>
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-02-08, 12:17

if im getting this right he wants people to be labeled by a quiz when registering

this must be one of the top ten worst ideas ever

we dont really need a way for some players to think they are better than the rest

vantage and bunny ideas are good (link to rulebook and flash tutorial)

raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  CheyMcFly 2012-02-08, 13:04

raidou wrote:if im getting this right he wants people to be labeled by a quiz when registering

this must be one of the top ten worst ideas ever

we dont really need a way for some players to think they are better than the rest

i agree with you. He wants us to be known by this one test we take when a lot of people come here to learn how to play. That's ridiculous >_> and pointless.

He seems to be complaining about players, and hey, we can't change how people play, but he thinks somehow this test will make it easier to avoid people who move quickly or don't know some card rulings..
At least that's what I got from this.
CheyMcFly
CheyMcFly

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero2Hero 2012-02-08, 14:11

raidou wrote:
vantage and bunny ideas are good (link to rulebook and flash tutorial)
I thought they were bad ideas. Here's why:
Rule Book
Tutorial

The Rule Book isn't even hard to find, and seeing it will not encourage them to look at it. If they wanted to, a search of "Yugioh Rule Book" would've brought them to the same link I just gave out. And if you want a tutorial, there are many in this forum. Not to mention that DN isn't a complicated problem anyway.
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next