Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xyz (Exceed) Rulings

+13
Lovelace
anglada
raidou
Pharaoh Atem
BlackwingRa
Key
dest
Notorious Nt
Yami-Malik
OverlordMMM
KaousFaustXIII
Gorz
G-Mac
17 posters

Go down

Solved Xyz (Exceed) Rulings

Post  G-Mac 2011-06-30, 12:07

Xyz (Exceed) Rulings
I have noticed that their is alot of confusion when it comes to rulings about the Xyzs like do the Xyz material get Banished when marco etc is out on the field etc.

So I'm thinking if people have rulings about the Xyzs that they should post them here so people can have easy access to them.
G-Mac
G-Mac

Birthday : 1989-03-24

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Xyz (Exceed) Rulings

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 12:11

Directly from Wikia but should answer your question.

An Xyz Summon (pronounced ik-seez, エクシ一ズ召喚, Ekushīzu Shōkan) is a type of Summoning featured in the Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL anime and manga series.
Xyz Summons can be conducted when there are two or more monsters of the same Level on the field. Those monsters can be used as Xyz Materials to Summon an Xyz Monster whose Rank is the same as the Levels of the monsters used.

In order to Xyz Summon an Xyz Monster, you must first take the required Xyz Materials face-up on your side of the field and stack them together. Then, the Xyz Monster is Xyz Summoned from your Extra Deck, and placed on top of the stack.

Xyz Materials are not sent to the Graveyard. Instead, they are placed on the same Monster Card Zone beneath the Summoned Xyz Monster.

The respective Battle Positions of the Xyz Materials do not matter, so long as they are all face-up. However, once you have Xyz Summoned your Xyz Monster, ensure that the entire stack is neatly aligned in face-up attack position, regardless of whether or not the Xyz Monster is summoned in face-up ATK or DEF position.

An Xyz Summon is a type of Special Summon, and an Xyz Monster is a Special Summon-Only monster.

Some effects may require you to remove Xyz Materials from an Xyz Monster. In this case, the required Xyz Materials are taken from beneath the Xyz Monster in question and sent to the Graveyard. Be wary though, as some such effects may have a backside if an Xyz Monster have no Xyz Materials left beneath it.

Xyz Materials are not considered 'on the field'. Therefore, an effect such as that of "Sangan" will not trigger, while effects such as "Dandylion's" will still trigger (different from "Sangan" in that it does not have to enter the Graveyard from the field to get its effect). Also if a 'revived' Monster like "Quillbolt Hedgehog" or "Plaguespreader Zombie" is used as an Xyz Material and sent to the Graveyard, it remains in the Graveyard.

Note that an Xyz Monster Special Summoned via any means other than an Xyz Summon will not have any Xyz Materials beneath it. Therefore, any negative effects that might apply to an Xyz Monster in such a state will be applied immediately.

If an Xyz Monster is flipped face-down, the Xyz Materials beneath it are not sent to the graveyard.

If a card that would banish cards sent to the graveyard (such as "Macro Cosmos" or "Banisher of the Radiance") is in effect, when an Xyz monster is destroyed/removed from the field the Xyz Materials beneath it are banished. However if an effect that would banish a Monster(s) on the field (like "Dimensional Fissure") is activated, only the Xyz Monster will be affected. The Materials used will be sent to the Graveyard.

Trap Monsters can be used as Xyz Materials.

In the OCG/TCG, Tokens cannot be used as Xyz Materials.

In the anime, when an Number Xyz Monster is Xyz Summoned, a galaxy-like gate appears in which the Xyz Materials (in a energy form) transfer into. The gate explodes and the Xyz Monster appears. When a non-Number Xyz monster is summoned, a red colored spiral portal is used instead. The Xyz Materials then turn into orbs of light which surround the Xyz monsters who absorbs them when the player removes them. This idea of a galaxy is probably derived from its card frame or vice versa.

Similar to how players say that they "Tune" their monsters to perform a Synchro Summon, players would state that they "Overlay" their selected monsters to perform an Xyz Summon.

Last edited by Gorz on 2011-06-30, 12:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Revised)
Gorz
Gorz

Birthday : 1993-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-06-30, 12:21

If my Xyz monster is flipped facedown by Book of Moon, what happens to the Xyz Materials?
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 12:25

KaousFaustXIII wrote:If my Xyz monster is flipped facedown by Book of Moon, what happens to the Xyz Materials?

Re-edited. To everyones liking. This should have everything that people need to know about them.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-06-30, 12:31

I understand that they will not be sent to the Graveyard, but what do i do with them, do they stay stacked vertically underneath the facedown Xyz monster? or do i stack them facedown horizontally on top of the Xyz monster? Also the identity of the facedown monster is supposed to be "undetermined" (even if it was previously face-up) right? If i use Wandering Mummy's or Magical Hats' effect then the opponent can easily identify which one is the Xyz monster.

Last edited by KaousFaustXIII on 2011-06-30, 12:38; edited 1 time in total
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 12:36

KaousFaustXIII wrote:I understand that they will not be sent to the Graveyard, but what do i do with them, do they stay stacked vertically underneath the facedown Xyz monster? or do i stack them facedown vertically on top of the Xyz monster? Also the identity of the facedown monster is supposed to be "undetermined" (even if it was previously face-up) right? If i use Wandering Mummy's or Magical Hats' effect then the opponent can easily identify which one is the Xyz monster.

You're gonna have to figure that one out for yourself. I guess you can say they are under the card all the time so the Xyz is face-down on top of the materials. For Magical Hats you just take the cards off of it until you need to use the effect of said Xyz monster. Your opponent knows you have materials until you use them or they are destroyed. So I guess that's the best thing I can give you seeing as how nobody has posted anything about Xyz Magical Hats.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  G-Mac 2011-06-30, 13:00

I wasn't asking a question I put this up to help others who are confused about how they work and so. and Thank you Gorz this will now give people on the DN Forums easy access to the rulinds when in a duel.
G-Mac
G-Mac

Birthday : 1989-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2011-06-30, 14:00

I have a question. I know that Xyz Materials are not considered 'on the field'. Does this mean that they are counted as leaving the field when you go for and Xyz summon?

Thats not exactly clear, and it would only really effect the Tengu Reborn Ruling at this point.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 15:09

They enter a place like "Purgatory" for monsters. Kinda like how Solemn Warning and other counter traps that negate summons don't let them hit the field and are in between the hand and field. This is the same thing except there is no hand part in this just the field and grave. Make since? I can go further if needed. I'm one of the biggest Xyz fans out there and know about 95% of everything that deals with them.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  Yami-Malik 2011-06-30, 16:29

OverlordMMM wrote:I have a question. I know that Xyz Materials are not considered 'on the field'. Does this mean that they are counted as leaving the field when you go for and Xyz summon?

Thats not exactly clear, and it would only really effect the Tengu Reborn Ruling at this point.

Ive been asking myself the same question, anyone knows why? It has to be clear, i dont think its a mistake from Konami...right?
Yami-Malik
Yami-Malik

Birthday : 1995-05-30

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  Notorious Nt 2011-06-30, 16:30

So what would the ruling on Tengu be, since when he is used as a material he isn't technically on the field anymore.
Notorious Nt
Notorious Nt

Birthday : 1993-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 16:53

For Tengu since he is like Dandy works like this in the above statement.
Xyz Materials are not considered 'on the field'. Therefore, an effect such as that of "Sangan" will not trigger, while effects such as "Dandylion's" will still trigger

Basicly this post below was stating -Yes, they do leave the field- But they never hit the grave from the field after being detached since they are not on the field after the material requirement.

They enter a place like "Purgatory" for monsters. Kinda like how Solemn Warning and other counter traps that negate summons don't let them hit the field and are in between the hand and field. This is the same thing except there is no hand part in this just the field and grave. Make since? I can go further if needed. I'm one of the biggest Xyz fans out there and know about 95% of everything that deals with them.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-06-30, 17:01

that is really complicated. But I'd go this way until Konami finally manages to get a propper ruling about this:

Since tengu is technically no longer on the field when used as a xyz material it left the field. It doesn't care where it is when it left the field (except the deck...), it just special summons another copy of itself when that happens, that is the only condition. Therefor I'd say, when you use it for an xyz you may special summon another one.

If you are using xyzs just make sure to inform your opponent how to handle that bevore starting the duel, just to avoid anoying discussions^^
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 17:05

dest wrote:that is really complicated. But I'd go this way until Konami finally manages to get a propper ruling about this:

Since tengu is technically no longer on the field when used as a xyz material it left the field. It doesn't care where it is when it left the field (except the deck...), it just special summons another copy of itself when that happens, that is the only condition. Therefor I'd say, when you use it for an xyz you may special summon another one.

If you are using xyzs just make sure to inform your opponent how to handle that bevore starting the duel, just to avoid anoying discussions^^

This. Nuff said on the Tengu Convo.
Anything else needed cleared up before they come out?
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-06-30, 17:47

Just so anyone is clear, Xyz materials does not leave the field but it's considered not on the field

Q:《E・HERO アブソルートZero》をエクシーズ素材としてエクシーズ召喚をした時、フィールド上から離れた扱いとなり 効果を発動しますか?
A:いいえ、エクシーズ素材になった場合、フィールド上から離れた扱いにはなりませんので、《 E・HERO アブソルートZero》の効果は発動しません。(11/03/20)

Q: If "Elemental Hero Absolute Zero" is used as an Xyz Material to Xyz Summon, is it treated as "leaving the field" and does its effect activate?
A: No, when it becomes an Xyz Material, it is not treated as "leaving the field," so the effect of "Elemental Hero Absolute Zero" does not activate.
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-06-30, 17:52

could I have a link to the page where that is from please? I could need it Smile
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-06-30, 18:07

dest wrote:could I have a link to the page where that is from please? I could need it Smile

It's basically everywhere (Blogs most likely)
But on found mine on here
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 18:39

I'd like to know how this really works since you can't leave the field and be on the field at the same time.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-06-30, 18:58

my brain just went crazy, but that's the only explanation i can imagine:

imagine the floor of your living room (field=room+floor). Now you place zero/tengu/ect on it. Now you want to put a carpet (xyz summon) where those are standing. Now they stand on the carpet(overlay xyz). They never left the room(field), but they don't stand on the floor(field) anymore, they stand on the carpet(xyz)...

I know, I have crazy thoughts sometimes, but that is the only way I can explain it to myself without loosing my mind. I hope we get an official ruling soon, I highly doubt this...
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-06-30, 19:24

dest wrote:my brain just went crazy, but that's the only explanation i can imagine:

imagine the floor of your living room (field=room+floor). Now you place zero/tengu/ect on it. Now you want to put a carpet (xyz summon) where those are standing. Now they stand on the carpet(overlay xyz). They never left the room(field), but they don't stand on the floor(field) anymore, they stand on the carpet(xyz)...

I know, I have crazy thoughts sometimes, but that is the only way I can explain it to myself without loosing my mind. I hope we get an official ruling soon, I highly doubt this...

Actually this kinda makes since...
I guess this can tie in with my "Purgatory" way also.
I can see they haven't left, you just can't "SEE" them.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-06-30, 21:50

So base on what Key said, No monster has "leave the field" condition can activate its effect when you use the monster has that condition to Xyz.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  OverlordMMM 2011-07-01, 02:41

Although I understand that line of logic, if its not on the field, isn't that the same as it leaving the field? It can't be on and off at the same time.

The only thing I could think of is that stacking them kinda makes them like mini decks that lose their identities.

But even that explanation is flimsy at best. (just like the reasoning why monsters lose their effects in the deck)

Anyone else think that Konami never thought this aspect through fully the way they do with card releases like TG Hyper Librarian?

The only other thing I can relate to these scenarios are equip spells. They lose the monster effects and count as spells, so maybe when they count as material monsters its a similar mechanic.

But still.....that doesn't really satisfy.
OverlordMMM
OverlordMMM

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-07-01, 07:33

We'll just have to wait.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pharaoh Atem 2011-07-01, 21:18

The confusion above stems from the assumption that "a card on the field has to be removed from the field to be off the field."

Xyzs make perfectly clear that that is not the case.

The matter of a card's location does not depend solely on where the card sits, but what the card IS at the moment, and how "what something is" relates to "where something is."

Saying "this doesn't make sense" shows a grievous error in thinking - the game's rules are not subject to questioning or ridicule in matters of YGO, because YGO is first and foremost a construction of its own rules. Namely; because there is no higher authority in YGO than YGO's own rules, YGO's own rules DECIDE what makes sense and doesn't make sense, and those rules obviously make sense as a result.
Pharaoh Atem
Pharaoh Atem

Birthday : 1988-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Gorz 2011-07-01, 21:56

Pharaoh Atem wrote:The confusion above stems from the assumption that "a card on the field has to be removed from the field to be off the field."

Xyzs make perfectly clear that that is not the case.

The matter of a card's location does not depend solely on where the card sits, but what the card IS at the moment, and how "what something is" relates to "where something is."

Saying "this doesn't make sense" shows a grievous error in thinking - the game's rules are not subject to questioning or ridicule in matters of YGO, because YGO is first and foremost a construction of its own rules. Namely; because there is no higher authority in YGO than YGO's own rules, YGO's own rules DECIDE what makes sense and doesn't make sense, and those rules obviously make sense as a result.

I know the real ruling, and it doesn't search out. The effect doesn't activate because Tengu isn't anywhere that it's going to reconize itself. Like it doesn't in the deck. So it can't have its effect activate if it doesn't show anywhere on the field.
Gorz
Gorz

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-07-02, 18:55

because is a new mechanic konami is free to go and add the rule to make it like monsters used as Xyz materials dont have effects (like the reason why tengu/yubel second form/ piscu effects wont activate when returned to deck )
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  anglada 2011-08-31, 19:45

if i special summon utopia with tengu... tengu's eff its activate?? when??

anglada

Birthday : 1995-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2011-08-31, 19:53

anglada wrote:if i special summon utopia with tengu... tengu's eff its activate?? when??

When you detach tengu.
Lovelace
Lovelace

Birthday : 1999-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  inderp 2011-08-31, 21:50

Actually this may not be true anymore, after the release of the new shonen jump, it seems we MAY be getting the OCG Rulings on XYZ monsters.

And OP: They are pronounced Ik-see and not exceed. Though I do prefer exceed as it sounds better and tbh it makes sense,0 exceed was actually a wrong translation done when these were first released in the OCG
inderp
inderp

Birthday : 1995-04-04

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2011-08-31, 23:11

I would like to point out that Shonen Jump is printed about 1 or 2 months in advance so that would be before Tewart issued the TCG xyz ruling. And remember Kevin Tewart>Shonen Jump.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  EcoTR 2011-09-01, 23:16

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/rulebook/YGO_RuleBook_EN-v8.pdf

Official ruling now.

They aren't considered on the field anymore. Effects that would activate when "removed from the field" don't activate as well, so Tengu's effect wouldn't activate.

Tour Guide + Sangan + Search combo is illegal as well now!

Thus us a joyous day!

EcoTR

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-09-01, 23:18

uh its on the rulebook ( new one ) page 49

Xyz Materials
Other Rules
Monsters that are used to Xyz Summon are called “Xyz Materials”, and
are placed underneath the Xyz Monster, to show that they are
attached to it. Monsters that have become Xyz Materials are not
treated as cards on the field. When an Xyz Monster leaves the field,
all of the Xyz Materials attached to it are sent to the Graveyard. If an
Xyz Monster is flipped face-down, or becomes controlled by the
opponent, the Xyz Materials are not sent to the Graveyard. They
remain attached to the Xyz Monster.
Leaves the Field

Some monsters have effects that activate when they “leave the field”.
For example, these effects activate when the monster is sent to the
Graveyard, or is banished, or is returned to the hand or Extra Deck.
When a monster on the field is shuffled into the Main Deck, or becomes
an Xyz Material, it is no longer a card on the field, however its effects
that activate when it “leaves the field” will not activate.

we finally have easy to understand rulings on this Very Happy
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  GRIMLOCK 2011-09-02, 15:25

GRIMLOCK
GRIMLOCK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content