Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work?

2 posters

Go down

Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work? Empty Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work?

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-12-01, 18:23

Hey guys,

On of the most common things I hear from people building decks is

"I built ____deck, and have been working really hard and testing it, but for some reason, I'm not getting the results I want, what is my problem?"

Well, even the best deck-builders and players have trouble with a seemingly surefire deck (especially early on) but there ARE some things you can do to improve you deck's performance. Here is a "troubleshooting" guide that works for most decks, but first, read and consider what I have said in Decks and Techs-Building a Deck

How many cards are in your deck? -Now, some people will argue with me on this, but I have always said and will continue to say that any deck worth playing should have 40-42 cards. There are some exceptions (Such as some rescue lagia decks that run 45 cards, or 1/5 gadget varrients) but for the most part, your deck should never have more than 40 cards. Many people wonder why this is so. Lets look at it from a mathematical standpoint.

Say you have a 60 card deck. After you draw your first 5 card hand, the chances of you getting a card you only have one of in your deck(lets say its heavy storm). You have a 1/55 chance of drawing that on your first turn (about 1.8%). In the same scenario, a person running a 40 card deck would have a 1/35 chance (2.9%) that increase your chance of ripping that heavy by a whopping 62%! That is a significant boost in chances.

Now lets take it from a gameplay standpoint. Your tired of having your monsters killed by traps and monsters, so you add tons of backrow to your deck, bringing the card count to 60. When you really need a monster to defend yourself, your going to end up drawing tons of useless monster protection. So in conclusion, if your having problems with your deck, try cutting the card count

Does your deck have an exploitable weakness?
-Sometimes, a deck is not well suited for the current meta. As an example, if you run a satellite cannon deck, which tries to power up satellite cannon as much as possible, but your strategy fails when your opponent summons a ton of monsters, your deck might not be good in a format with plant tengu, agents, and karakuris regining supreme. Sometimes, an idea is only good in a certain format.

What is your decks goal?
-As I said in my very first article, the most important thing your deck needs is a goal, if your goal has been obscured by wanting to do something else with that deck, then maybe it's time to reevaluate it.[/b]

Is your deck's strategy sound?-This one is hard for some people to get. Not every deck idea will work. Sometimes an idea you thought would be great isn't, for example, every time someone asks me for help with a Dark Magician Deck, I help them, but the first thing I tell them is Dark Magician Decks simply aren't easy to work. They are inconsistent and force you to play a lot of high-level, low-stat, bad-effect (or just normal) monsters. This is just one example of a deck that simply doesn't work*

Is this commonplace among all of your decks?-If this is something that is happening among all of your decks, your problem might be the opponent. No one is the best duelist, there is always a stronger opponent. I have seen newer players come to me with deck questions, and have looked at their decks and seen nothing wrong. Then I watch them play a few duels and realize they are playing opponents way beyond their skill level. The only way to alleviate this is by practicing. Understand your deck, know what it is capable of, and just keep trying

*DISCLAIMER: I have seen deck ideas that I thought were impossible, run well in the right hands. It isn't easy, and it isn't fun, but with enough practice and patience, SOME decks that seem bad can be played well, but is incredibly uncommon

Additionally, if you are running a meta deck (agents, dark world, plant tengu, karakuri, chaos, or rescue lagia at the time of writing), a good suggestion is to look at what people that made the top 32 at YCS's have played and won with, these decks usually have interesting techs most people don't play, which gives them an edge over competition

Well, that's all I have to say, if you did all of this, and your still having problems with your deck, feel free to post it here and I will look at it

Cheers-
Pox

Last edited by Pox_Equestria on 2011-12-01, 18:31; edited 2 times in total
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work? Empty Re: Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work?

Post  S.S.A. 2011-12-01, 18:28

sound advice
S.S.A.
S.S.A.

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work? Empty Re: Decks and Techs-Why Doesn't My Deck Work?

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-12-01, 18:31

Thanks!
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down