Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decks and Techs-What is a good card?

+6
3E-hero neos
thmaninblack
Yami-Malik
Adept VantageSP
Ceteruler2
Phoenix Wright
10 posters

Go down

Decks and Techs-What is a good card? Empty Decks and Techs-What is a good card?

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-11, 11:06

Welcome to my second article in my Decks and Techs series. If you read my first article, you should be familiar with how to build a deck. Now you just need to do it. But you still may have a question; and it is a fundamental one, what is a good card?

Now, seeing as everyone liked the car metaphor in the last article, I'm going to keep it going with another metaphor

Picture you are the head coach of a sports team. The rules of the team allow you to have 40 players. Now, you want to win the championship, so you only want the best players out there, but sometimes, its hard to tell if a players strengths can make up for any faults he has.

Before we start, there is a general set of rules when trying to determine if a card is good or not

-A good card should not be situational

Now, many people don't really know what situational means, so I will give an example

Take Demise of the Land, a quick play spell with the following effect:

Activate this card when your opponent Special Summons a monster. Select 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck and activate it.

Now, a novice player may look at this card and say, "This is way better then terraforming. It's quick play and lets me play it right away!" But look at what is required to play it, the special summon of an opponent's monster. You can't activate this spell, unless your opponent special summons a monster. This is why demise of land is a bad card. Now by the same token, take terraforming:

"Add 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to your hand."

look at that! Now, while this spell might not be a quick play, and you only add it to your hand, you can play this card at ANY time, making it much more useful. Now if you had demise of land in your hand, and you were playing something like STUN, that card would just be sitting in your hand. But Terraforming could be played as soon as you draw it. And that is why good cards should not be situational

*exception: Trap cards, by nature, are situational for the most part. However, that is why most decks run very few traps. Try and pick out the least situational of traps (Solemn Warning/Judgement, Call of the Haunted, Mirror Force, etc.)

-A good card has a small and/or beneficial cost

Now most cards have some kind of cost. A cost is something you have to do in order to activate an effect (pay 1000 life points, discard a card, etc.) now, the cost of the card should be directly related to what the card does/can do. For example, the cost of using Stardust Dragon's effect is tributing it. This is a remarkably low cost for what it can do, since it is summoned back to the field at the end of the turn. This is why stardust dragon is such a good card. Now take, for instance, Solemn Judgement. You might be thinking "gee, half my life points sure is a lot to pay for this, it must be a bad card." But your not looking at what it can DO. Barring the effects of effect monsters, this card can negate ANYTHING. It is the proverbial ace in the hole for most decks, and a way to make sure all of your basses are covered. Now a cost can also be a beneficial cost. Take Dark World Dealings. Now, in most decks, this card is only okay, but in a Dark World deck, this card lets you discard a card to the graveyard, which lets more effects activate. Discarding a card is something you want to do. Therefore, discarding a card in a dark world deck is considered a beneficial cost to you. Another example is scrap dragon in a scrap deck. Destroying your scrap monster lest its effect activate, so the "cost" to you really isn't a cost, its beneficial. A good card for a deck shouldn't make you spend a lot of advantage to use it, but use little/no advantage and generate more than it took

A good card should do what it sets out to do

Now, as stated earlier, you will have SOME situational cards in your deck. But make sure when the requirements that are needed for their activation are fulfilled, they can do something about that. This may seem confusing, so I will give you an example, Dark Mirror Force:

You can only activate this card when your opponent's monster declares an attack. Remove all monsters in Defense Position on your opponent's side of the field from play.

now this card can only activate when an opponent's monster attacks, but it removes all of your opponents DEFENSE position monsters, the attack still goes through! This is why dark mirror force is a bad card. Mirror force however, destroys all attack position monsters your opponent controls. This stop your opponent's monster from attacking, and save your life points. This is the point I am trying to make, a card that is situational should be able to react to the situation presented to it in a positive way.

A good card is easy to play

This applies more to monsters than anything else. A good card should not require a bunch of complex summoning requirements to play. That is why most players don't run any level 7+ monsters that don't have some sort of easy summoning requirement (DAD, JD, etc.) even if a card has a stellar effect, if you have to tribute 2 monsters to even activate it, you are already putting yourself in the hole. That is why the Egyptian God cards are not very good. They take 3 tributes just to get them onto the field. Other cards, like the Sky Scourges, are not very good, unless put in a deck built around them. The moral of this is, if its a tribute monster, think very hard about it's usefulness before you put it in your deck

That should just about cover everything. So if you remember these rules, you should be on your way to picking the best cards in no time

Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-What is a good card? Empty Re: Decks and Techs-What is a good card?

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 11:10

I agree. A lot of cards that look good at first aren't so good when you take a second look.

Then again, there are some cards that may look bad at first, but actually turn out to be pretty good...
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Birthday : 1994-08-29

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-What is a good card? Empty Re: Decks and Techs-What is a good card?

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-07-11, 11:56

Ceteruler2 wrote:I agree. A lot of cards that look good at first aren't so good when you take a second look.

Then again, there are some cards that may look bad at first, but actually turn out to be pretty good...
I agree with this. Some cards in theory seem good,but in actually are not as great as you think. The thing is that a lot of cards like this are situationaly good and not too consistent. Cards that are good techs are usually highly spashable and are very consistent (in the deck). Lets look at the card Bait Doll. At first you think, sweet it can destroy Warning's and Trap Holes. Yes, in theory that is amazing. But after further analysis you run into several problems. You may force cards like, Oppression, Karma Cut, Decree, etc. Yes, they may not be good at the time you force them, but who knows, you could potentially end up screwing yourself over. That isn't even the most significant problem with the card. The problem is that is goes back into the deck. This screws with your draws. You could draw this card at the worst time, especially late game when each draw counts. Sure it could be good when you draw it again, but like I said, that doesn't seem very consistent does it?
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 12:00

vantagesp wrote:
Ceteruler2 wrote:I agree. A lot of cards that look good at first aren't so good when you take a second look.

I agree with this. Some cards in theory seem good,but in actually are not as great as you think. The thing is that a lot of cards like this are situationaly good and not too consistent. Cards that are good techs are usually highly spashable and are very consistent (in the deck). Lets look at the card Bait Doll. At first you think, sweet it can destroy Warning's and Trap Holes. Yes, in theory that is amazing. But after further analysis you run into several problems. You may force cards like, Oppression, Karma Cut, Decree, etc. Yes, they may not be good at the time you force them, but who knows, you could potentially end up screwing yourself over. That isn't even the most significant problem with the card. The problem is that is goes back into the deck. This screws with your draws. You could draw this card at the worst time, especially late game when each draw counts. Sure it could be good when you draw it again, but like I said, that doesn't seem very consistent does it?
Yep. Right with you. There's even an entire thread here about "Why you should Main Bait Doll" and I'm like..."Ummmm...no."
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-11, 12:05

I made this article, because I saw a lot of people running bad cards in their decks, this is more of a novice level article though. I assume most people know how to determine if a card is good or not Razz
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-07-11, 12:08

Pox_Equestria wrote:I made this article, because I saw a lot of people running bad cards in their decks, this is more of a novice level article though. I assume most people know how to determine if a card is good or not Razz
Ah okay. I will just help in your endeavors.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 12:10

Pox_Equestria wrote:I made this article, because I saw a lot of people running bad cards in their decks, this is more of a novice level article though. I assume most people know how to determine if a card is good or not Razz
You'd be surprised how many people don't, though tongue Although I think that people are getting better at it nowadays...
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2011-07-11, 12:16

Ceteruler2 wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people don't, though tongue Although I think that people are getting better at it nowadays...
This is especially apparent in Blackwings. There are tons of Blackwing monsters/support. Most people only use the key few, or the basic (Gale, Sirroco, Bora, Shura,etc.). You see a lot of new BW players play cards that aren't that good, like many of the random BW cards and their support. DP crow made this even worse by giving easier access to these lackluster cards. This is a case of; "this card is good but far outclassed by others, so why run it?"

Just an example. This is of coarse meant for competitive play, for fun decks, go ahead and play the crap BW cards.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 13:45

This is especially apparent in Blackwings. There are tons of Blackwing monsters/support. Most people only use the key few, or the basic (Gale, Sirroco, Bora, Shura,etc.). You see a lot of new BW players play cards that aren't that good, like many of the random BW cards and their support. DP crow made this even worse by giving easier access to these lackluster cards. This is a case of; "this card is good but far outclassed by others, so why run it?"

Just an example. This is of coarse meant for competitive play, for fun decks, go ahead and play the crap BW cards.
Lol, I know. A lot of people don't pay attention to the simple-looking (yet incredibly complex strategy-wise) cards, like Zephyros the Elite.

I've heard people say "Oh, he's only got 1600 ATK and can't Special Summon himself from the hand; he doesn't belong in BWs". I'm like "Really?! Did you READ his effect?!".
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-11, 13:53

Zerpherous will bring BW back from mediorcity, him and kochi make a rank 4 xyz, and that will win games
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Yami-Malik 2011-07-11, 13:59

Nice article Brony! It comes in handy for a lot of ppl.
Yami-Malik
Yami-Malik

Birthday : 1995-05-30

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/profile?mode=editprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 14:04

Pox_Equestria wrote:Zerpherous will bring BW back from mediorcity, him and kochi make a rank 4 xyz, and that will win games
This. Not only will it win games, it will RUIN games when Steelswarm Roach comes out:

2 Level 4 monsters
When a Level 5 or higher monster is Special Summoned: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the Special Summon and destroy it.
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-11, 14:16

Thanks a lot guys, like I said, I do it for you!
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  thmaninblack 2011-07-11, 15:46

What about these rules:

-If the OTK takes more than 3 cards, it won't happen.
-Card advantage is better than lifepoints, unless you're nearly dead.
-And perhaps the difference between virtual and real card advantage. (i.e. the difference between royal decree and mst)
thmaninblack
thmaninblack

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-07-11, 15:56

Virtual Card Advantage is getting its own article

The OTK one seems irrelevant to this

I might add the card advantage>LP thing (though I touched on it with solemn)
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-11, 15:56

thmaninblack wrote:What about these rules:

-If the OTK takes more than 3 cards, it won't happen.
-Card advantage is better than lifepoints, unless you're nearly dead.
-And perhaps the difference between virtual and real card advantage. (i.e. the difference between royal decree and mst)
The first one is not completely true (lol Exodia takes 5) as there are a couple of OTKs that are very consistent even though they take more than 3 cards.

The second one imo really depends on the type of deck you're using. An Exodia deck for example won't care so much about LP (either yours or the opponent's) because it has a different win condition.

I agree with you completely on this one...
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Back to top Go down

Post  3E-hero neos 2011-07-11, 17:43

Good article, but what about.....Trent......now THAT is a good card!
Just kidding, it's a nice article, so many people are pretty dumb nowadays so I hope people will read this xP.

Keep it up, +1 from me Smile.
3E-hero neos
3E-hero neos

Birthday : 1995-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rezzd 2011-07-11, 18:01

I agree that card advantage is more important than life points. Otherwise the 3 solemns would not be seeing play. Great article. I would like to hear your thoughts on field presence.
Rezzd
Rezzd

Birthday : 1996-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  thmaninblack 2011-07-11, 20:28

We can also discuss the risks and benefits of overextension, but this topic is somewhat skewed as long as TGHL is still at 3.
thmaninblack
thmaninblack

Back to top Go down

Post  Menace13 2011-08-24, 14:50

Dark Mirror Force is only bad in decks that don't focus on forcing your opponents' monsters into defense (Spiders, etc.).
Menace13
Menace13

Birthday : 1995-11-06

http://www.tremulous.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiaki 2011-08-24, 15:17

Pox_Equestria wrote:I made this article, because I saw a lot of people running bad cards in their decks...

Is one of them Magic Cylinder? -___-
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  Roxzen 2011-08-24, 19:21

Pox_Equestria wrote:Virtual Card Advantage is getting its own article
Oh yes, I would dig a Virtual Card Advantage. Mhm. *nods*

Good article Pox, like always. (^_^)=b
Roxzen
Roxzen

Birthday : 1992-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down