Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck

+2
ShadicMena95
Phoenix Wright
6 posters

Go down

Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck Empty Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-09-14, 19:42

Hello everyone, and welcome to a new portion of Decks and Techs, I haven't wrote one of these in a while, mainly because I haven't felt inspired to write one. If you guys have anything you want me to write about, just tell me and I will.

Moving on, today, I want to talk about a very advanced concept in dueling, mainly because it takes years to do. Building a TRULY great deck. Now, I did an article early on on how to build a deck, but this is taking this to a much higher level. In the article (which can be found in my signature) I compared building a deck to a building a car, in the sense that each part of the car represented an integral part of the deck, in that sense, this will be going over such things as the paint color, the rims, and what color of fuzzy dice to put on the rear-veiw mirror.

Now, assuming you have been following my articles, you have a well built deck you feel comfortable with, and that's great, a lot of people don't make this far. However, if you want to take it to the next level, it is going to take years of hard work with that deck, so lets get started.

Before you start, get a notebook, or some other way to document information. Date each duel you do with your deck (Day, month, AND year) and write what deck your opponent was playing, and have a link to the build you used, write down weather you won or lost and why. If you lost, write how to adjust for it.

Here is an example from my Clown deck, a little after the new banlist and xyzs:

9/2/2011
Opponent's deck: Chaos Agents
Result:Loss
Reason:Deck has no response to leviathan, as well as other xyzs
What to change: Side deck some gravity binds and add more messengers of peace, and perhaps a fossil dyna

Now, the first thing you should do is playtest the deck religiously. Whenever you log onto DN, do at least 3 Matches a day with that deck (try not to duel the same person/same deck multiple times). When you win, note what worked, when you lose, take note of what didn't work, and adjust accordingly, keep doing this until you stop having problems(this should at least take a couple of months)

After making some adjustments, post you deck on SEVERAL forums and get as much feedback as possible. Test out EVERYTHING people recommend (unless it's completely ludicrous) 1 or 2 things are bound to improve your build

After this, buy your deck in real life. Buy everything for the main deck, side deck, extra deck that you need, and also any techs you are considering that haven't made it into the main build yet. If you have tested your deck enough, you should be confident putting down money for it (if you are only dueling on DN that's fine to) if you are using your deck in real life, do all testing with it from here on in, NOT DN

Subsequently do what I call confirming the balance of the deck. Now we all have had problems with the DN shuffler, so I recommend numbering each card in your deck from 1-40 and have a random number generator pick 5 numbers at random to simulate a perfectly random hand (I said this would be time consuming). Make more adjustments based off of your findings and test them (once again making sure not to duel the same person/deck to many times)seeing as not everything is purely random

Bring your deck to its first major test: Locals. If you have succeeded thus far , your deck should make AT LEAST the top 4 of your locals (depending on skill of other players and the size of the tourney.) If you lose, show your deck to your opponent and ask for their opinions, as well as other skilled players at your place of locals.

At this point, you should know your deck as well as you know yourself. You should be able to look at the cards in play/in your hand and determine what the remaining cards are in your deck perfectly. You should continue to play at least 3 matches a day if not more. You should be able to understand and be able to defeat every other deck out their with the tools your deck has. You should be able to do this, because whenever you won, you wrote why you won, and whenever you lost, you wrote why you lost. This should mean you have a log of months of duels with this deck, you should be able to name a played archtype, look in your log, and find every duel you have done against that deck, and how you won/lost to it.

If you made it this far, you might think you have built your deck to the best of its ability, this is where a lot of people mess up. The meta changes in subtle ways every day. The banlist changes every 6 months, Konami releases new mechanincs and changes rulings frequently, stay updated on these, and incorporate them into your deck.

If you continue to adjust your deck, keep a log of your wins/losses, and practice every day, I can guarantee you will have a masterfuly crafted deck

Cheers

-Pox_Equestria
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Birthday : 1993-12-14

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck Empty Re: Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck

Post  ShadicMena95 2011-09-14, 21:49

This is an amazing article! Taking notes is similar to what I do, and its a great way of knowing what you need to fix. Oh and the Random number generator idea? GENIUS!
ShadicMena95
ShadicMena95

Birthday : 1995-03-31

Back to top Go down

Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck Empty Re: Decks and Techs-Crafting a Master Deck

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-09-14, 22:54

Thanks a lot!
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  inderp 2011-09-14, 22:59

great, no it's not great, ITS FANTASTIC. No adjective can describe the awsomeness of your articles. Thanks a LOT!

One thing I'll say is if people do feel that DN's shuffler is giving problems, don't use an online number generator. As far as I can remember a computer can not generate a 100% random number. Only way to get a true random number is rolling a die, flipping a coin etc.
inderp
inderp

Birthday : 1995-04-04

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-09-14, 23:02

Nothing can be 100% random, each side of a die has different weight, same with a coin. A random number generator is the most time effective way to get an (at least close to) random hand

Thanks a lot for the great feedback though!
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  storyteller 2011-09-15, 17:40

No, computer cannot generate a "completely random" number. It does, however, get pretty darned close using the time at that moment (down to miliseconds, i believe?) to generate the numbers from a predetermined list of statistically randomized numbers.

Anywho... wow, you really put a lot of effort into the game if you're going through all that. Kudos to you, and nice article.
storyteller
storyteller

Birthday : 1991-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix Wright 2011-09-15, 17:50

Tue, but just taking notes is easy and will drastically help your game

thanks for the feedback!!

OT: WOOOOOOOOOOO 2000 POSTS!!
Phoenix Wright
Phoenix Wright

Back to top Go down

Post  powwow 2011-10-01, 09:36

wow just wow u sir r just amazing thank u your articles are purely god like thank u !!!!
powwow
powwow

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2011-10-01, 10:56

good article keep up the work can't wait to see more of of your work
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down