Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get rid of the rating system

+8
Kaiba
BrandonBalls
stode
ancientman7
Eliwood
Tcbskater
Tsunayoshi
Sjcman
12 posters

Go down

Get rid of the rating system  Empty Get rid of the rating system

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-14, 20:07

This causes more problems then it helps honestly.

It causes abuses in the system to up their rating with people faking duels or using decks that abuse the 1/1 system. The second is especially frustrating because it promotes cheap wins and poor sportsmanship. No one plays burn irl because the deck is garbage games 2 and 3. It would be an autoloss. But in a 1/1 format its unbeatable because no1 mains crap to stop burn. If DN promotes a competitive environment at all, then this easy way out way of winning shouldn't be rewarded by a rating system

Also it prevents good players from playing other good players if they are new to the site since no1 wants to nuke their rating even though it means nothing.

Finally the rating system isnt even fair. The amount of rating you get for each duel almost always puts the oppn of higher rank even if its only slightly higher at a huge disadvantage compared to the lower ranked player which causes people to only want to play those with a higher rank than themselves.

I understand enforced matches would solve a lot of these problems, but tbh subtraction is easier than addition and removing the rating system would be an addition by subtraction. I could understand keeping it if the rating system wasn't completely meaningless but since it is I think it should go.

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Get rid of the rating system  Empty Re: Get rid of the rating system

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-14, 20:08

also if we get rid of the rating system we can change rated/unrated dueling categories to tcg/ocg which solves a multitude of probs.

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-14, 20:10

Um... No.

If you dont like it, dont play in rated.

/thread
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Birthday : 1987-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Tcbskater 2012-01-14, 21:54

Sjcman wrote:
It causes abuses in the system to up their rating with people faking duels

And then they are banned for boosting.

I fail to see the issue.
Tcbskater
Tcbskater

Birthday : 1994-03-10

http://www.clocktowergaming.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-14, 23:35

Tcbskater wrote:
Sjcman wrote:
It causes abuses in the system to up their rating with people faking duels

And then they are banned for boosting.

I fail to see the issue.

The issue is simply the message your sending out. People abuse the heck of the system to up their rating by playing burn final countdown etc... ie some deck that has almost 0 chance of losing game one. By not enforcing matches, you are condoning the idea that everyone should run burn and and countdown since its an easy win even though they have no competitive ability in the actual meta. Also since the rules say you wont enforce deck type restrictions in duel note for the sake of competitiveness, abd I'd think that the maker of that rule would actual care about the actual competitive environment on DN, players playing somewhat competitively can't call a mod to cancel the duel when this occurs because they have no basis for it. So yes there is an issue here.

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Post  Eliwood 2012-01-14, 23:48

Sjcman wrote:So yes there is an issue here.
Is it the part where you made this thread?
Eliwood
Eliwood

Birthday : 1992-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  ancientman7 2012-01-14, 23:50

That suggestion will not happen in a million years
ancientman7
ancientman7
[AW] Aesir Warriors
[AW] Aesir Warriors

Birthday : 1992-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-14, 23:56

Tsunayoshi wrote:Um... No.

If you dont like it, dont play in rated.

/thread

QFE +1
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Birthday : 1987-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  stode 2012-01-15, 00:42

well i hate rating system, I got pretty good rating, because of this, I never seem to be able to get anyone accept me or join the game i host.
stode
stode

Birthday : 1993-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  BrandonBalls 2012-01-15, 01:58

Let's get rid of all of Dueling Network as well
BrandonBalls
BrandonBalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiba 2012-01-15, 03:07

The suggestion is actually not a bad one. It eliminates the boosting problem entirely, for example.

However, having stats to compete over is something that keeps us coming to DN. We want to be the very best. Like no one ever was. To catch them is our real test, to train them is our causeeeeeeeeee.
Kaiba
Kaiba

Birthday : 1992-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2012-01-15, 20:27

Kaiba wrote:The suggestion is actually not a bad one. It eliminates the boosting problem entirely, for example.
If we got rid of materials, we would have no greed. If we got rid of reproduction, there would be no lust. If we were never born, there would be no death.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Birthday : 1994-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2012-01-15, 20:39

Rating system is staying. People, and Cicadas, like me, who worked there asses off to get high stats would be very disappointed if we lose our stats.
Lovelace
Lovelace

Birthday : 1999-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-22, 17:21

yes there are people like you who have earned it but there are also losers who upped it by playing a game one deck like burn and then quit. The higher your rating the more likely it is to play one of these losers. Im fine with rating system if matches are enforced and or burn/countdown/other game one decks can be banned from being played in a duel note ie if i say no burn or other g1 deck, the mod will enforce that. However, the root of the problem is the rating system causing people decks to abuse it even though they have no competitive standing outside of the dn format.

To summarize ie tldr here the options i think would be good

1.Enforce matches so game 1 decks can lose to the side
2.Enforce duel notes that ask for no g1 decks like burn and countdown
3. Get rid of the rating system

Leaving it as it is isnt fair to players who try to test competitively and up their rating only to not be able to win because their oppn played a game 1 deck

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-22, 17:23

Potus-Mat wrote:
Kaiba wrote:The suggestion is actually not a bad one. It eliminates the boosting problem entirely, for example.
If we got rid of materials, we would have no greed. If we got rid of reproduction, there would be no lust. If we were never born, there would be no death.

Despite what Gordon Gecko says Greed is not always good. It often leads to the many getting abused by the few

and like he said it not only eliminates the boosting problem, but also the rating discrimination problem as well for players new to dn but not to the game finding duels. It also makes the site more competitive as it gives no incentive for playing decks that wont win in the meta.

Last edited by Sjcman on 2012-01-22, 17:26; edited 1 time in total

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2012-01-22, 17:24

Sjcman wrote:yes there are people like you who have earned it but there are also losers who upped it by playing a game one deck like burn and then quit. The higher your rating the more likely it is to play one of these losers. Im fine with rating system if matches are enforced and or burn/countdown/other game one decks can be banned from being played in a duel note ie if i say no burn or other g1 deck, the mod will enforce that. However, the root of the problem is the rating system causing people decks to abuse it even though they have no competitive standing outside of the dn format.

Leaving it as it is isnt fair to players who try to test competitively and up their rating only to not be able to win because their oppn played a game 1 deck

Sounds like you're just butthurt.
Lovelace
Lovelace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sjcman 2012-01-22, 17:30

Lovelace wrote:
Sjcman wrote:yes there are people like you who have earned it but there are also losers who upped it by playing a game one deck like burn and then quit. The higher your rating the more likely it is to play one of these losers. Im fine with rating system if matches are enforced and or burn/countdown/other game one decks can be banned from being played in a duel note ie if i say no burn or other g1 deck, the mod will enforce that. However, the root of the problem is the rating system causing people decks to abuse it even though they have no competitive standing outside of the dn format.

Sounds like you're just butthurt.

w.e you say but I've suggested several options to mitigate this problem, one of which doesnt even require you to do anything except come when called. I dont see why you guys are so adverse to fixing this when there are so many ways to do it one of which being extremely easy.

Sjcman

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelace 2012-01-22, 17:44

On your suggestion about duel notes: restricting decks in rated is illegal.
Lovelace
Lovelace

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-22, 18:19

people place restrictions on duel notes to increase their chances to win

they ask opponent to not use a deck type but it doesnt mean they wont

i fell many times to ' no FTK/ OTK decks ' or 'no DW /six sams 'duel notes (they used those deck types on me ) before finding out DN had a rule agaisnt those types of duel notes on rated

raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Adept VantageSP 2012-01-22, 18:23

I love when people double post. Topic locked.
Adept VantageSP
Adept VantageSP
Adept Swordsmaster
 Adept Swordsmaster

Birthday : 1992-05-08

http://yugiohgxforums.b1.jcink.com/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down