Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rating System Jacked?

3 posters

Go down

Rating System Jacked? Empty Rating System Jacked?

Post  og_drake 2011-07-21, 00:49

My question is very simple and it is a LARGE complaint amongst MANY duelists on DN. Why is it that a rating 100 guy can defeat a 1100 duelist and only get 8 points? Then myself currently at rating 1100 beat a rating 1600 duelist and only get 4 points? Then when a friend challenges me at rating 105 loses to me and i get 18 points? The rating system recently has been majorly damaged and its almost not worth doing rated matches anymore.

This forum may already be up and I overlooked it but I wanted to put it up again so i could see what was happening. Moderators, Admins, duelist...please respond to this with what you think. I may just be doing something wrong. Thank you for responding, and nuke your sarcasm please before you make it. Lets keep this respectful and mature. Thank you again.
og_drake
og_drake

Back to top Go down

Rating System Jacked? Empty Re: Rating System Jacked?

Post  Hero 2011-07-21, 01:48

The game is still in its early stages, and i remember pretty clearly that they had to rush to put the system in the game.
Hero
Hero

Birthday : 1995-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  The DetonatorCOPY 2011-07-21, 01:49

The rating system is a modified version of the Elo rating system, which is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two player games and is used in chess, scrabble, and many other games. Every user starts with a rating of 100. Rating modifications are mostly based on the relative ratings of competing duelists, but card difference (hand and field) and remaining life points are also factored

In the beginning (first 100-200 duels) people will ramp-up rather quickly. This is done by inflating wins and deflating losses. This skewing becomes less predominant over time and eventually stops completely. The post-ramp-up average rating is 1000. So, the average duelist will ramp up and settle at around 1000. Good duelists will ramp-up beyond 1000 and settle at a rating that matches their skills. As you improve (or get worse), your ratings will change with that.

The rating system is designed this way because people ought to see growth in the beginning. It would be extremely depressing if half the users had a rating lower than where they started.

If you want to ramp-up quicker, play highly-rated duelists. You don't need to play all the time to be on top. As a player's rating gets increasingly large, it will become harder and harder to increase even further.

The poll was not necessary so I have removed it.

Poll removed.
The DetonatorCOPY
The DetonatorCOPY

Birthday : 1991-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post  og_drake 2011-07-21, 01:55

So basically your saying that I make an amazing deck, get great games in, and then I get stuck at around 1000. and then from there on no matter who I play I get only 8 points tops? That makes no sense. If i am at 1103 (i am) and duel someone that is 1600, i should then get at least more than 12. according to the link you showed me. Otherwise, it would take over 1000 wins to get to 1600. which does not make sense when there are some on the leaderboards with less than 600 wins and have 1550+ ratings. Or how is when i defeated my friend who was ranked 105 in a duel i got 18 points? makes no sense.
og_drake
og_drake

Back to top Go down

Post  The DetonatorCOPY 2011-07-21, 02:09

og_drake wrote:So basically your saying that I make an amazing deck, get great games in, and then I get stuck at around 1000.
No, please read my post carefully. I said the system LEVELS out at 1000. Players with good skill need to win lots of duels in a row in order to go from 1000 to a higher number. When you get to 1000, losses generally will cause more point deduction that a win. (once again this is dependent on the factors of both duelists)

og_drake wrote:From there on no matter who I play I get only 8 points tops? That makes no sense.

Yes, something like that, if people would continue to get the same amount of points at a constant rate, new members would never have a chance to catch up. This is why it becomes difficult once you reach 1000, you actually need to be skilled as a duelist to get up higher.

og_drake wrote:If i am at 1103 (i am) and duel someone that is 1600, i should then get at least more than 12.
No, re read what i said above. once you are above 1000, the way you earn points becomes difficult.

og_drake wrote:Otherwise, it would take over 1000 wins to get to 1600. which does not make sense when there are some on the leaderboards with less than 600 wins and have 1550+ ratings.

This is relative to duels won in a row, the more you win in a row, then they will gain rating quicker.

og_drake wrote:Or how is when i defeated my friend who was ranked 105 in a duel i got 18 points? makes no sense.

This i do not believe.
The DetonatorCOPY
The DetonatorCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  og_drake 2011-07-21, 02:20

u don't need to believe i got 18 points, you can just ask him if you want. PST me ingame for his name...thats when the site finally comes up. thank you for the help though. take care.
og_drake
og_drake

Back to top Go down

Post  The DetonatorCOPY 2011-07-21, 02:22

I do not need to talk to him about it.

I explained how it works briefly above. You can visit the wikipedia reference for the more brutal complicated mathematics.

No problem though.
The DetonatorCOPY
The DetonatorCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down