Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solemn Warning

+3
BlackwingRa
Magicknight94
Vincent
7 posters

Go down

Solved Solemn Warning

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 00:41

Out of curiosity, what scenarios, if any, would result in a summon that Solemn Warning cannot negate?
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Solemn Warning

Post  Magicknight94 2011-10-23, 00:45

A summon via card effect cannot be negated.

And summon of Obelisk, Ra, Dodger Dragon cannot be negated as well.
Magicknight94
Magicknight94

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 00:50

Magicknight94 wrote:A summon via card effect cannot be negated.

And summon of Obelisk, Ra, Dodger Dragon cannot be negated as well.

I get the God cards, but, erm, last I checked Warning can and has negated many card effect summons (i.e. Monster Reborn) and the rulings I checked before posting this confirm that.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  Magicknight94 2011-10-23, 00:52

Yes, you can negate Monster Reborn, but you cannot negate the summon from Monster Reborn.
Magicknight94
Magicknight94

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 00:54

Oh I see what you mean to say. Although that is misunderstanding my question. What summons (from activation of card effect to resolution) have impunity from Warning entirely? That is my question, or what I mean to ask.

So far we have the 3 monsters you listed.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-10-23, 02:45

What he meant is that you can use Warning to negate Monster Reborn or any cards that can Special Summon monster at activation, but if you won't negate it, you cannot touch the monster that was call out with Warning.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 02:56

Yes, and I acknowledged that D=.

However the cause of their summon is still being negated, more or less meaning their actual summon was negated (for all practical purposes).

I'll say it again. I'm looking for cases where both the effect summoning the monster and the summon of the monster itself are immune to warning.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2011-10-23, 03:05

I don't want explain over and over again, so heres copy paste from my thread

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/t4215-an-effect-solemn-warning-ruling-you-might-not-know

And add "Dodger Dragon" to the immune list
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  moe_q8 2011-10-23, 03:23

ultimate offering summons are immune to solemns

moe_q8

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 03:29

Okay, so field spells with summoning effects are a case of impunity.

And the GB thing was an honest suprise. Not gonna lie.

Though I think I'd be unfair to call missing the timing on negation for Monster Reborn and such while playing on Duel Network because...

When you activate a Spell or Trap Card that targets, you choose the target(s) when you activate the card, before your opponent decides whether or not to Chain to it. So if you want to negate the activation of a card like "Monster Reborn" or "Call of the Haunted" with "Solemn Warning", you must chain "Solemn Warning" after "Monster Reborn"/"Call of the Haunted" have declared a monster in the graveyard as a target.[3]

...they have to wait for the person to pick anyway. And if the opponent says nothing and just summons the monster then you're kind of screwed over ya know? It's not a worthy nit-pick to go after the "negate the spell/trap/effect over the summon" unless you're in a duel where your opponent is there in the flesh. I understand and have always understood this ruling, I just don't think it's really possible to uphold via online dueling because of this issue.

EDIT: NINJAS. And Offering, huh? I guess that would work out the same way the field spell idea does.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  moe_q8 2011-10-23, 04:35

Yep, since its an effect that normal summons a monster not special summons.

moe_q8

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-10-23, 05:10

moe_q8 wrote:ultimate offering summons are immune to solemns
Monster summon that use Ultimate Offering is immune to Warning because they are summon at the resolution of Ultimate Offering, not because it is an effect that Normal Summon. Ultimate Offering DOESN'T summon any monster.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Back to top Go down

Post  Magicknight94 2011-10-23, 06:12

In OCG Warning can negate the summon (not the effect) from UO, Formular Synchro, Urgent Tuning, if they are placed at chain link 1.
Magicknight94
Magicknight94

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-10-23, 06:49

UO I'm not sure, but Formula can be negated by Warning because that Synchro Summon was not from Formula, and the Synchro Summon that use Formula's effect never start a chain, the same for Urgent Tuning.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-10-23, 08:08

OCG and TGC rulings contradict each other here. In OCG it has been ruled, that you just activate the effect, resolve it and after that the rest is just a normal summon like you would do in your main phases. In TCG it is ruled, that it is what it is: a summon due to an effect, so the summon can't be negated, only the effect.

See:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings%3AFormula_Synchron
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings%3AUltimate_Offering

all the same, in ocg the summon of those cards are negateable, in tcg it is threated as summon due to an effect.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  [S]tarstrike 2011-10-23, 12:37

Vincent wrote:Okay, so field spells with summoning effects are a case of impunity.

And the GB thing was an honest suprise. Not gonna lie.

Though I think I'd be unfair to call missing the timing on negation for Monster Reborn and such while playing on Duel Network because...

When you activate a Spell or Trap Card that targets, you choose the target(s) when you activate the card, before your opponent decides whether or not to Chain to it. So if you want to negate the activation of a card like "Monster Reborn" or "Call of the Haunted" with "Solemn Warning", you must chain "Solemn Warning" after "Monster Reborn"/"Call of the Haunted" have declared a monster in the graveyard as a target.[3]

...they have to wait for the person to pick anyway. And if the opponent says nothing and just summons the monster then you're kind of screwed over ya know? It's not a worthy nit-pick to go after the "negate the spell/trap/effect over the summon" unless you're in a duel where your opponent is there in the flesh. I understand and have always understood this ruling, I just don't think it's really possible to uphold via online dueling because of this issue.

EDIT: NINJAS. And Offering, huh? I guess that would work out the same way the field spell idea does.

Lol...why should this even be an issue? If you're gonna wait to use Solemn Warning because the opponent might just pick a weak monster that you can kill other ways, then you should just not use the card. If the opponent plays Monster Reborn, regardless of what they COULD pick, negate it anyway. It's a pretty sure thing that if they're playing Monster Reborn, they're going to target a monster.

Don't tell them you have no response because they might pick something weak and then when they pull out their Stardust Dragon or something you say, "Oh wait. Nevermind. Solemn Warning." Too late for that.
[S]tarstrike
[S]tarstrike

Birthday : 1989-09-20

https://www.facebook.com/ryderjj89

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 13:36

Whatever. It's just a ruling, right?

No but seriously the only reason I brought it up is because that being a ruling it seemed like you were forced to wait for them to summon the card unless they tell you what they're going to summon.

Negating the card regardless works for me though.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  [S]tarstrike 2011-10-23, 13:52

I totally understand what you're saying.

But, Solemn Warning negates a spell, trap, or monster's effect that special summon's a monster. Monster Reborn always special summons a monster so it'll never be immune to Solemn Warning. If I actually used Warning and my opponent played Reborn, I'd activate right away, regardless of what they're gonna bring back.

It can be a very confusing card and even after all this time, I STILL get people who think Warning can negate any spell or trap card. It's silly.
[S]tarstrike
[S]tarstrike

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent 2011-10-23, 13:56

hahahaha

2000 points to negate the universe. Priceless.

Oh well, if DN is perfectly fine ignoring the whole target thing idgaf as well.

And I pretty much learned what I wanted to learn. Warning is beaten by Field Spells, Offering, Dodger Dragon, Ra, and Obelisk.
Vincent
Vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  [S]tarstrike 2011-10-23, 13:59

Exactly.

In the 4 months I've been on DN, I have never met ONE person that actually used Monster Reborn then said the monster they're bringing back. Hell. I don't even do that IRL. If they don't respond, I just put the monster on the field.
[S]tarstrike
[S]tarstrike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down