Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Things Are Banned

+23
Tsunayoshi
Phoenix Wright
Axrest
BigZac
nsanejokr
AhhGoodTimes
Resurgence
Ultimate lol
Phraxure
dredragon
MK_ultra
Saturn
S.S.A.
GrandFreeze
Vincent
Lovelace
Garion1991
Wildflame
Prince Vegeta
DarkRiku
MultiJazzBeat
Red_Chaos
Potus-Mat
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why Things Are Banned - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Things Are Banned

Post  Potus-Mat 2011-11-27, 22:29

S.S. Anaconda wrote:
Vincent wrote:Because Konami is too lazy to have what Potus said would happen come to pass, and then have to clean up the mess.
you mean an errata to say this card cant be used in a match?
Well, here is Victory Dragon:
Why Things Are Banned - Page 2 300px-VictoryDragonRP02-EN-ScR-UE
And here is, say, Tyr, The Vanquishing Warlord:
Why Things Are Banned - Page 2 300px-Tyr%2CtheVanquishingWarlordWCPS-EN-UR-UE
Notice the text that says: "This card cannot be used in a Duel." that Tyr had that Dragon lacks?
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Birthday : 1994-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  S.S.A. 2011-11-27, 22:31

yeap, didnt realize the illegal versions of victory had that, guess thats showing one more time konamis hardon for dragons
S.S.A.
S.S.A.

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildflame 2011-11-27, 23:15

Thing is, Victory Dragon was released earlier than the other match winners. Konami realized their derpyness after making that card and made the other match winners unplayable in official duels.
Wildflame
Wildflame

Birthday : 1991-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post  MultiJazzBeat 2011-12-05, 19:32

I don't see how match winners could be put into competitive decks.
But, I could be wrong.
MultiJazzBeat
MultiJazzBeat

Birthday : 1994-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-15, 18:11

I think that some people in here need some explaniations on bans.

Tsukuyomi was hit to absolutely destroy the Time Seal Lock. Mask of Darkness is the only card that got off untouched.

Victory Dragon got a ban because of the mixed rulings on it. Myself and a few others I know that used to judge back in the UDE days have and still would rule that scooping when you were about to lose the match to Victory Dragon would still count as losing to Victory Dragon. Scooping to avoid losing to to him is just trying to manipulate either judges or the rules to keep playing and not every judge that I knew would allow that to happen.

Most of the other bans on the list though are extremely self explanitory outside of Goyo. Goyo to my understanding was banned because of his interesting interaction with Exceeds. He runs over an Exceed, his effect would not only revive the monster but also special summon it with the materials still attached. It does not help that its retarded easy to summon and has such ridic stats.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Birthday : 1987-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2011-12-15, 18:14

Hey, Tsuna! Glad to see you back! But, Goyo was banned before the Exceed monsters were born.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-15, 18:17

Potus-Mat wrote:Hey, Tsuna! Glad to see you back! But, Goyo was banned before the Exceed monsters were born.

Goyo was banned right before their release, possibly because of the interaction I mentioned before, or because Konami's R&D group could not work out how the interaction would work out if I was wrong.

Also my time away from here was mostly because of Skyrim.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-12-15, 18:38

Tsunayoshi wrote:
Potus-Mat wrote:Hey, Tsuna! Glad to see you back! But, Goyo was banned before the Exceed monsters were born.

Goyo was banned right before their release, possibly because of the interaction I mentioned before, or because Konami's R&D group could not work out how the interaction would work out if I was wrong.

Also my time away from here was mostly because of Skyrim.
By my understanding Goyo was banned due to giving advantage and having high attack stat for little cost. Seeing a monster that you don't have to draw into that can not only run over a lot of monster, but steal them as well is a pretty bad design for a card.

Now with Xyz it gives you more options of what to do with that monster, attack with it, tribute it, Synchro with it or Xyz with it.

Also worth noting that it's a +2 in card advantage every time it can get its effect off (opponent loses a monster, you gain a monster).
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-15, 18:45

If that was the case, Miror, then it would have been banned long before now for those reasons, instead of just limited.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-12-15, 18:49

Tsunayoshi wrote:If that was the case, Miror, then it would have been banned long before now for those reasons, instead of just limited.
It's what I've heard. And then again stuff like Brio should've been banned long ago anyway, but hasn't for some untold reason.

I stand by the idea that the game is better with Goyo out, but then again I also belive BLS is fine at 1. I just seem to be the minority in all this Razz
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-15, 18:51

Brio, as overpowered as it is, still can backfire badly if you say, use its effect to clear the field for a turn.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-12-15, 18:53

Tsunayoshi wrote:Brio, as overpowered as it is, still can backfire badly if you say, use its effect to clear the field for a turn.
That seems to just be on the players timing in using it. I know for one I don't use Brio's effect on stuff that's not a Synchro/Xyz/Fusion unless I'm ready to OTK. (or my opponent played Maxx "C" on my Fableds, but that's another story)
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-15, 19:03

That really doesnt really change the fact that while Brio can come back to bite you in the arse, Goyo rarely does that as like you said, you get a +2 with the use of its effect

There is another difference you missed also, Brio's effect is more or less a temporary reprieve, while Goyo's is quite permanent and makes real advantage.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiza 2011-12-16, 15:00

finally got the reason mind master was banned

brain research lab
caam, serenity of the gusto x3
mind master x1
emergency teleport x1

or some way to get mind master on the field as a special summon

summon caam, activate the lab
use the lab to use mind master to get the other 2 caam in the grave and the 3rd one on the field. the 3rd caam returns the other 2 to the deck to draw a card, and repeated until deck is done, or, until you draw 5 pieces of exodia

pretty nasty isn't it ?
Kaiza
Kaiza

Birthday : 1991-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Potus-Mat 2011-12-16, 15:03

And One For One. Do not forget that guy.
Yeah, while it would go wrong if you drew two Caam's before you drew Exodia, that combo is annoying.
Potus-Mat
Potus-Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaiza 2011-12-16, 15:06

well the painful part is, once one caam is in your deck, any gusto psychic monster will do D:
Kaiza
Kaiza

Birthday : 1991-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandFreeze 2011-12-23, 06:06

Tsukuyomi was never banned because of the locks and was banned because she at the time was able ton about everything over since pre-Synchro Era most monsters actually had very low DEF besides DEF oriented cards which weren't used anyway.

Time Seal on the other hand was exclusively banned due to locks and otherwise saw little to no play.
GrandFreeze
GrandFreeze

Back to top Go down

Post  exiled_force 2011-12-24, 17:03

This will really help people new to the game understand why the ban list exists. Thanks!!!!
exiled_force
exiled_force

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-24, 17:43

GrandFreeze wrote:Tsukuyomi was never banned because of the locks and was banned because she at the time was able ton about everything over since pre-Synchro Era most monsters actually had very low DEF besides DEF oriented cards which weren't used anyway.

Time Seal on the other hand was exclusively banned due to locks and otherwise saw little to no play.

Tsukuyomi was banned because of its part in the Time Seal lock. The fact that Mask of Darkness remained popular for a short time, making cards like Mirror Force and TT amazingly more powerful, and at the time they were 'deck or get trolled' good. Tsukuyomi should have come off the list a damn long time ago.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2011-12-24, 20:46

Tsunayoshi wrote:
GrandFreeze wrote:Tsukuyomi was never banned because of the locks and was banned because she at the time was able ton about everything over since pre-Synchro Era most monsters actually had very low DEF besides DEF oriented cards which weren't used anyway.

Tsukuyomi was banned because of its part in the Time Seal lock. The fact that Mask of Darkness remained popular for a short time, making cards like Mirror Force and TT amazingly more powerful, and at the time they were 'deck or get trolled' good. Tsukuyomi should have come off the list a damn long time ago.

*agrees*

Without Time Seal, there's really nothing else to abuse like it. Sure there's Reckless Greed, but then you're still letting your opponent get new stuff.

You also still have to draw into it, and Mask of Darkness's slowness has definitely made it worse in the game.

Also, Time Seal was a costless draw stall for the opponent. It should never come back.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  HarleyThomas 2011-12-24, 21:22

I don't understand The Forceful Sentry's banning. Sure Confiscation has a Life Point cost but it's easier to retrieve a card from the graveyard since a lot of decks rely on the graveyard than having to re-draw the card that was just sent back to the deck.

And Crush Card Virus isn't all too threatening anymore as Beatdown decks are nowhere near as common as they were at the time the card was released.
HarleyThomas
HarleyThomas

Birthday : 1993-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2011-12-24, 21:33

HarleyThomas wrote:I don't understand The Forceful Sentry's banning. Sure Confiscation has a Life Point cost but it's easier to retrieve a card from the graveyard since a lot of decks rely on the graveyard than having to re-draw the card that was just sent back to the deck.

And Crush Card Virus isn't all too threatening anymore as Beatdown decks are nowhere near as common as they were at the time the card was released.

Forceful Sentry was banned because its a costless 141 that takes a card out of your opponents hand. It doesnt help that you get to see their hand, meaning you can play around what ever you decide to leave them with. It also does not matter where you send the card if you make your opponent start their turn with less cards than they expected or by taking away the only option they may have available to them.

The only reason why Trap Dustshoot is still around while Sentry is banned is because Dustshoot is a trap.

As for Crush Card, if you run TGU, you can run CCV and to destructive effect. TGU > Sangan > Set CCV is far more powerful than going into Leviathan or Zenmaines on Turn 1.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Garion1991 2011-12-26, 17:21

top 3 trap cards

Imperial Order, Ring of Destruction, and Crush Card Virus

you never want them back
Garion1991
Garion1991

Back to top Go down

Post  Saturn 2011-12-26, 17:26

HarleyThomas wrote:I don't understand The Forceful Sentry's banning. Sure Confiscation has a Life Point cost but it's easier to retrieve a card from the graveyard since a lot of decks rely on the graveyard than having to re-draw the card that was just sent back to the deck.

You just justified your reasons for why you think Forceful Sentry shouldn't be banned by saying that Confiscation is weaker than it. What?
Saturn
Saturn

Birthday : 1996-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post  GrandFreeze 2012-01-03, 07:09

Tsunayoshi wrote:

Time Seal was banned a format before Tsukuyomi, so no, it did not have to do with the locks, but yes he/she should come off.
GrandFreeze
GrandFreeze

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2