Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics.

+5
Badass_Bunny
Joenen
raidou
Tsunayoshi
Unorthodoxical-Princ
9 posters

Go down

Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics. Empty Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics.

Post  Unorthodoxical-Princ 2012-01-04, 02:53

Can I choose which eff to apply for continuous effs? Like wich is first etc. Say for example I had Slifer the Sky dragon and Black Garden, or Whangu and Slifer the Sky dragon..I get to choose correct? And if my opponent had continuous effects mine are to resolve last right? Just please explain basic timing for the continuous effects. Since they don't follow chains it confuses me if they were to apply the same time. I thought you can choose..like if you control shadow imprison and unicore..and your opponent summons caius, you can choose to engate caius with imprison or unicore.

Continuous effects dont use the chain..that is why I'm asking.
Unorthodoxical-Princ
Unorthodoxical-Princ

Back to top Go down

Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics. Empty Re: Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics.

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-04, 02:58

Not sure on the first and I will not even attempt to answer about how Osiris/Wanghu/Garden would work together on the field.

As for having SIM and Unicore on the field when Caius is summoned, you dont get a choice because SIM prevents the activation of any DARK monsters effect to begin with.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Birthday : 1987-09-27

Back to top Go down

Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics. Empty Re: Continuous Rulings, basic mechanics.

Post  raidou 2012-01-04, 03:11

almost the cards he mentioned are mandatory effects

unicore is continuous

all of them use the chain and if triggered at the same time you get to choose order

raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-04, 03:38

Unorthodoxical-Princ wrote:Can I choose which eff to apply for continuous effs? Like wich is first etc. Say for example I had Slifer the Sky dragon and Black Garden, or Whangu and Slifer the Sky dragon..I get to choose correct? And if my opponent had continuous effects mine are to resolve last right? Just please explain basic timing for the continuous effects. Since they don't follow chains it confuses me if they were to apply the same time. I thought you can choose..like if you control shadow imprison and unicore..and your opponent summons caius, you can choose to engate caius with imprison or unicore.

Continuous effects dont use the chain..that is why I'm asking.
Slifer, Whangu, and Black Garden are all Mandatory Trigger effects. If you control them all, then whenever a monster is summoned you will choose which chain links they will form. Remember, chain links resolve backwards.

Now, if you want to know how best to chain Trigger effects, you follow SEGOC, Simultaneous Effects Go On Chain. The wiki article is pretty thorough in its explanation, so I'll post it here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=yugioh%20segoc&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fyugioh.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FSimultaneous_Effects_Go_On_Chain&ei=cAIET72kJ4mriQKf6PyeCQ&usg=AFQjCNGmUUngBs57orUk9R-K5XimyZNhYA

You will choose which effect negates caius in the case of unicore and Shadow Mirror though. Though even if something happans so that your choice won't work, like, MST chains to caius destroying shadow mirror, Unicore can then negate caius so long as the continuous effects requirements are still met.

Joenen
Joenen

Birthday : 1992-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Unorthodoxical-Princ 2012-01-04, 04:21

So turn player still has priority to activate spell speed 2..basically non turn player must choose the order of links or whatever for the continuous effects before turn player can chain mst?
Unorthodoxical-Princ
Unorthodoxical-Princ

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-04, 05:10

no. Continuous effects are always applied so long as the monster is are face up on the field.

Trigger effects activate and go on a chain when multiple effects meet their triggers at the same time.

Turn Players Mandatory Triggers are earliest in the chain
Then the opponent's mandatory triggers
Then the turn player's optional triggers
then the opponent's optional triggers

then resolve backwards.

when multiple triggers are met, the controllers of the triggers Obey SEGoC Rules. If a player controls multiple Triggered effects, then they choose which order those effects will go on the chain, with mandatory effects going first. Following SEGOC rules.

note that after the Triggers form a chain, priority passes to the player who does not control the last link in the chain.

Basically, if my opponent plays card destruction with three DW monsters, they arrange the chain the DW monsters form, then I can respon to the last chain link.

Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2012-01-04, 11:43

Wanghu and Black Garden won't work, Neither will Wanghu and Slifer.

Reason being that Wanghu checks the monster attack the moment when monster is summoned if the attack is over 1400 Wanghu won't trigger at all. If the monster has under 1400 than you may chose to arrange Chain Links. In case of Wanghu and Black Garden, Wanghu will destroy the Black Garden Token.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-04, 13:16

Continuous effects don't start a chain. They apply immediately when the condition is met. They do not activate at all, and the 3 cards you listed are not continuous effects.

An example of what I'm talking about would be Skull Invitation.

Each time a card(s) is sent to the Graveyard, inflict 300 damage to its owner for each card sent.

This effect does not chain to anything, it only resolves when the condition is met, or sending a card to the Graveyard. Since it does not use the chain rules, it can resolve mid-chain whenever it wants. However, it also must follow the "must be face-up to resolve" rule for continuous spells/traps. For example:

Skull Invitation is face up on the field.
Player 1 plays Dust Tornado, targeting Skull Invitation.
Player 2 plays Dark Bribe on Dust Tornado.
Player 1 plays Seven Tools on Dark Bribe.

Resolving:
Seven Tools negates and destroys Dark Bribe. Dark Bribe was sent to the Graveyard, so Skull Invitation resolves and inflicts 300 damage to Player 2.
Dark Bribe was negated so nothing happens.
Dust Tornado destroys Skull Invitation. Skull Invitations is sent to the Graveyard so it does not resolve for itself being sent.

Just an example that I know of.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2012-01-04, 19:52

Turn-player's continuous effect will apply if there are 2 or more continuous effect
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-04, 20:24

Badass_Bunny wrote:Wanghu and Black Garden won't work, Neither will Wanghu and Slifer.

Reason being that Wanghu checks the monster attack the moment when monster is summoned if the attack is over 1400 Wanghu won't trigger at all. If the monster has under 1400 than you may chose to arrange Chain Links. In case of Wanghu and Black Garden, Wanghu will destroy the Black Garden Token.

In terms of effectiveness, basically yes. But in terms of what happans, you can trigger all three of their effects.

When you

Summon a monster in attack mode with 1400 or less Attack:
Arrange the chain in any order of Garden, whangu, and slifer. Either Slifer or whangu will kill the monster, and the one that doesn't will resolve without effect. If Black Garden is placed at chain link 3 (assuming you control all three whangu, slifer, and garden), then your opponent will get a token, but whangu and slifer will chain to kill the token anyways.

If a monster with 1400 ATK+ is summoned in attack mode, the same thing basically happans, minus whangu's effect. Slifer will kill the summoned monster and the token.

If black garden is not last in the chain, a token won't even be summoned because slifer/whangu has killed the summoned monster, making it so the attack cannot be halved.

and if a monster with 1400+ or more attack is usmmoned in defense mode, neither whangu nor slifer will trigger, black garden will halve the monster's attack, then slifer/whangu will chain to the tokens summon and one will destroy the token, the other will disappear.

Hope that helps.
Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-04, 22:07

You cant summon in defense, so Wanghu and Osiris would have no effect on the monster nor would Black Garden.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2012-01-04, 22:14

Tsunayoshi wrote:You cant summon in defense, so Wanghu and Osiris would have no effect on the monster nor would Black Garden.
Have you ever thought about Special Summon?
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-04, 23:13

Then the point is moot because there is only two commonly played cards that summon in defense, Gorz which can be summoned in defense via its effect, and Monster Reborn.

I would mention Synchro Summons or Exceed summons, but both of those are practically shut down by Wanghu and Osiris.

Summoning in defense is not possible under normal means.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-05, 21:16

Cyber Dragon

Grapha

Machina Fortress

Evigishkis

would like a word ;p

Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Tsunayoshi 2012-01-05, 21:20

CyDra is moot. Grapha is moot. Fortress is moot. Evis drop via Ritual and become moot.

The average monster can not be summoned in defense. /discussion.
Tsunayoshi
Tsunayoshi

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-05, 21:50

And by moot you mean?

You cannot normal summon monsters in face up defense position.

You can special summon monsters in defense position.

/end of discussion.
Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-06, 00:05

It doesn't matter. I don't know why the guy even said Defense Position, the point was that a monster that is summoned with more than 1400 ATK does not trigger wanghu even if black garden or slifer is on the field.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  BeanMachine87 2012-01-06, 09:15

Light of Intervention lets you Normal Summon in face-up defense...for the record.
BeanMachine87
BeanMachine87

Birthday : 1987-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down