Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Utopia's effect vs mirror force or any card that negates and destroys monsters

+5
Gothic mess
Virtuozo
Zero2Hero
Abominable
BIG EYES
9 posters

Go down

Solved Utopia's effect vs mirror force or any card that negates and destroys monsters

Post  BIG EYES 2012-01-07, 18:54

Hi I'm new here, I've recently come across this idea that Utopia's effect says it can negate an attack of any monster. Can I use Utopia's effect to negate my monster's attack when mirror force is played?

Example:I declare an attack on my oppnent's Vorse raider with Utopia or Great Shogun Shien.
Opponent responds with mirror force.
Utopia's effect chains my attack, removing an overlay unit to negate attack.
Mirror Force's effect is not resolved because I negated my own attack?

Last edited by Zero2Hero on 2012-01-07, 19:23; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added an example)

BIG EYES

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Utopia's effect vs mirror force or any card that negates and destroys monsters

Post  Abominable 2012-01-07, 19:20

Utopia can't avoid mirror force. This question has been asked many times and you could've gotten the answer in 1 - 2 minutes with google.
Abominable
Abominable

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Utopia's effect vs mirror force or any card that negates and destroys monsters

Post  Zero2Hero 2012-01-07, 19:22

It's been an official ruling since the start. You can't use his effect when that happens. Mirror force, d prison etc will work
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Birthday : 1994-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuozo 2012-01-08, 06:31

As the turn player, during the Battle Phase you retain priority to activate Utopia's effect prior to your opponent activating any trap cards on their side of the field. Once priority has passed to the opponent (you declared an attack and didn't negate it), they can activate their trap cards and you're not able to respond with Utopia's effect anymore. At least that's how I see it.

Virtuozo

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-08, 07:07

It's not a question if it can or can't, even though it can't.

The answer being yes or no would inevitaby lead to the same end result, the attack has been declared, thus Mirror force has met it's activation requierement, now in here, there are a couple of cards you can use to prevent your own monster fom attacking, like say, Compulsory evacuation device, for the sake of argumente lets say Nightmare weel is activated on that monster, mirror force doesn't care what you did after the attack, it's going to destroy your monsters regardless of what you activate. Now, you could always Book of moon a monster you want to save on your side, but if you Book your attacking monster because Mirror force was activated, mirror force is still going to resolve.
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Birthday : 1986-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-08, 10:56

Virtuozo wrote:As the turn player, during the Battle Phase you retain priority to activate Utopia's effect prior to your opponent activating any trap cards on their side of the field. Once priority has passed to the opponent (you declared an attack and didn't negate it), they can activate their trap cards and you're not able to respond with Utopia's effect anymore. At least that's how I see it.
It's more because Utopia is a Spell Speed 1 Trigger Effect and, as such, cannot chain to Spell Speed 2 effects. The only time it would go in a chain would be if there was another trigger effect that activated when a monster declared an attack.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Virtuozo 2012-01-08, 14:11

Miror B. wrote:
Virtuozo wrote:As the turn player, during the Battle Phase you retain priority to activate Utopia's effect prior to your opponent activating any trap cards on their side of the field. Once priority has passed to the opponent (you declared an attack and didn't negate it), they can activate their trap cards and you're not able to respond with Utopia's effect anymore. At least that's how I see it.
It's more because Utopia is a Spell Speed 1 Trigger Effect and, as such, cannot chain to Spell Speed 2 effects. The only time it would go in a chain would be if there was another trigger effect that activated when a monster declared an attack.
Yeah, you are right. But basically what one should remember is that the only time when Utopia's effect can be activated to negate the turn player's attack is before the opponent responds with any of their trap cards.

Virtuozo

Back to top Go down

Post  AsherpotterCOPY 2012-01-08, 14:30

Virtuozo wrote:
Miror B. wrote:
Yeah, you are right. But basically what one should remember is that the only time when Utopia's effect can be activated to negate the turn player's attack is before the opponent responds with any of their trap cards.
Even then it won't matter because chains resolve backward.
AsherpotterCOPY
AsherpotterCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  D-Shinkirou 2012-01-09, 18:12

Miror B. wrote:

Its spell speed 1. I thought it was spell speed 2 since it can be used not only in the battle phase but on your opponents turn.
D-Shinkirou
D-Shinkirou

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-09, 20:47

D-Shinkirou wrote:
Miror B. wrote:

Its spell speed 1. I thought it was spell speed 2 since it can be used not only in the battle phase but on your opponents turn.
It's been ruled a trigger effect with the trigger "When a monster attacks", and no trigger effects are Spell Speed 1, only quick effects.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2012-01-09, 21:13

Miror B. wrote:It's been ruled a trigger effect with the trigger "When a monster attacks", and no trigger effects are Spell Speed 1, only quick effects.
What? Big mistake here, I demand that it must be fixed at once.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down