Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skill Drain vs. summoning a Monster

+4
MrChillmatic
DefiniteOtaku
Dragonknight1991
Thrillhouse
8 posters

Go down

Solved Skill Drain vs. summoning a Monster

Post  Thrillhouse 2012-02-11, 17:12

Hey there.

So the other day i was playing my super duper ojama deck and got confused with my opponent playing skill drain.

i summoned Ojama Red (when normal summoned, turnplayer can summon up to 4 ojama monsters from his hand). i wanted to use the effect but my opponent played skill drain.

i was pretty sure, that skill drain wouldn t negate the effect, since he cannot start a chain to my summon. thus the effect of ojama red would activate.

right guys?

in general: can you activate skill drain on a summon (normal oder special)? to negate its effect?

thx!

Thrillhouse

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Skill Drain vs. summoning a Monster

Post  Dragonknight1991 2012-02-11, 17:17

Thrillhouse wrote:Hey there.

So the other day i was playing my super duper ojama deck and got confused with my opponent playing skill drain.

i summoned Ojama Red (when normal summoned, turnplayer can summon up to 4 ojama monsters from his hand). i wanted to use the effect but my opponent played skill drain.

i was pretty sure, that skill drain wouldn t negate the effect, since he cannot start a chain to my summon. thus the effect of ojama red would activate.

right guys?

in general: can you activate skill drain on a summon (normal oder special)? to negate its effect?

thx!
You can chain to the effect of Ojama Red, why wouldn't you be able to?
You are right though in saying that you can't chain to a summon, since summons don't have spell speeds.

Dragonknight1991

Back to top Go down

Post  DefiniteOtaku 2012-02-11, 17:22

right guys?

thx!

Ojama Red's effect is a trigger effect, which does start a chain.

As for chaining to a summon, they cannot, but they can respond to the summon resolution by activating Skill Drain.
DefiniteOtaku
DefiniteOtaku
Chaotic Stupid
Chaotic Stupid

Birthday : 1992-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrillhouse 2012-02-11, 17:23

Dragonknight1991 wrote:

right guys?

thx!

that means you can chain skill drain to the activation of an effect (monster)? don t judge me pls, i m trying to get this^^
let s say i summon zaborg thunder monarch and wanna destry his monster, does that mean he can chain skill drain and negate zaborg s effect before it resolves? i always thought, you would have to have skill drain active on the field to negate effects and cannot chain it

:X

Thrillhouse

Back to top Go down

Post  DefiniteOtaku 2012-02-11, 17:27

Thrillhouse wrote:
Dragonknight1991 wrote:

right guys?

thx!

that means you can chain skill drain to the activation of an effect (monster)? don t judge me pls, i m trying to get this^^
let s say i summon zaborg thunder monarch and wanna destry his monster, does that mean he can chain skill drain and negate zaborg s effect before it resolves? i always thought, you would have to have skill drain active on the field to negate effects and cannot chain it

:X

They both go on a chain, Zaborg 1, Drain 2, And chains work backwards.
Drain will resolve first, meaning its effect goes into play immediately, since its a continuous effect, and then Zaborg resolves, and fizzles since Drain is face up and active.
DefiniteOtaku
DefiniteOtaku
Chaotic Stupid
Chaotic Stupid

Birthday : 1992-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  MrChillmatic 2012-02-11, 17:28

They can't chain Skill Drain to a summon as they have no speed spell, but Skill Drain can be activated in response to the succesful summon of Ojama Red.

Skill Drain can be chained to Ojama Red since the latter creates a chain. The chain link will be :

Chain Link 1 : Ojama Red's effect
Chain Link 2 : Skill Drain's activation

Since chains resolve backwards, Skill Drain will be activated before Red's effect can resolve correctly and will negate it then.
MrChillmatic
MrChillmatic

Birthday : 1990-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Thrillhouse 2012-02-11, 17:29

kk got it.

thank yall for the quick help!

close pls

Thrillhouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-02-11, 21:11

Note, there are some effects gained "immediately" upon successful normal summon that activating veiler/skill drain in response to will have no effect upon.

Dodger dragon is the rule, and Verz Castor and Sacred Pollux are further examples. If skill drain is flipped after the monster is summoned, their effects are still applied. If drain was up beforehand however, then their effects aren't applied. These cases are exceptionally rare, but they exist.

Joenen
Joenen

Birthday : 1992-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  gruntlord6 2012-02-19, 03:33

Joenen wrote:Note, there are some effects gained "immediately" upon successful normal summon that activating veiler/skill drain in response to will have no effect upon.

Dodger dragon is the rule, and Verz Castor and Sacred Pollux are further examples. If skill drain is flipped after the monster is summoned, their effects are still applied. If drain was up beforehand however, then their effects aren't applied. These cases are exceptionally rare, but they exist.

So even if you veiler verz castor, you still get the normal summon?
gruntlord6
gruntlord6

Birthday : 1993-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post  kangtuji 2012-02-19, 03:51

You forgotting classic monster like Jinzo and E.Hero wildheart
kangtuji
kangtuji

Back to top Go down

Post  poemi 2012-02-19, 05:43

gruntlord6 wrote:So even if you veiler verz castor, you still get the normal summon?
OCG ruling says you can.
once verz castor applied, it put condition that allow you to perform the additional normal summon.
poemi
poemi

Birthday : 1983-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down