Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype

+4
Ceteruler2
Chiaki
joshjones
TyagoHexagon
8 posters

Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype Empty Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-14, 07:34

The first of my Forgotten Archetypes series is about an old, underused archetype, that isn't half bad and that powers everything.

Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype RecyclingBatteriesVG-TF04-JP

So, Batteryman. You possibly have heard of them, although they are a pretty unknown, underused and old archetype.

ORIGINS AND COMMON ELEMENTS
Batteryman are based on...batterys. Yes, the ones you use to power you most things in your house. But they also have bigger and powerful monsters to use, that are not based small batterys. They are also Thunder-type monsters. The weaker Batteryman always have good effects and bad ATK / DEF. The stronger Batteryman have powerful ATK and effects. And they all love to swarm the field.
They also are all common cards. Yes, all Batteryman are either Commons or Rares. Only 3 Rares. And a Super, that isn't even a Batteryman. The others are all commons.

PLAY STYLE
Batteryman have a very unique play style: They start slow, but once you can have the right card in your hand and start swarming, your opponent will not even know what it them. This deck easily makes a OTK. And is better for it to do that. Its lack of support cannot allow them to last long on the field. On the other side, them support each other well (except for a few useless cards) and can be a real pain.

SETS
Batterymans were release in various packs, mostly separated from each other:

• The Lost Millennium - 2 card
  • Cybernetic Revolution - 1 card
  • Enemy of Justice - 1 card
  • Light of Destruction - 6 cards
  • The Shining Darkness - 3 cards

As you can see, they got support in various packs, but each one had few cards.
THE CARDS OF THE ARCHETYPE

Monsters --- 9
Spoiler:

Spells --- 3
Spoiler:

Traps --- 1
Spoiler:

OTHER CARDS TO USE
Other card that can help the deck. Batteryman are Thunder so ther recieve some support.
Spoiler:

STRATEGIES
From my personal experience, I know of 2 ways of using Batteryman:

Batteryman AA OTK
This strategy focus on getting AA on the field, use Short Circuit and attack for the win. Simple.
RECOMENDED CARDS:

• AA x3
  • Charger x3
  • Micro-Cell x3
  • D x3
  • (Trade - In + Industrial Strength + Guardian of Order all x3)
  • Short Circuit x3
  • Battery Charger x2-3
  • Photon Lead x3
  • Inferno Reckless Summon x3
  • Hand Destruction x2-3
  • Magical Mallet / Reload x3
  • Pot of Duality x3
  • (Reckless Greed x3)
  • Threatning Roar x3
  • Portable Battery Pack x1

The other Batteryman strategy
This really doesn't have a name... Instead of focusing only on AA, it uses other monsters. It is slower, but much more reliable. It fails as much as the other.
RECOMENDED CARDS:

• Charger x2-3
  • Micro-Cell x3
  • D x2-3
  • Fuel Cell x2-3
  • (AAA x 3 (with a way to place them in the Grave))
  • Industrial Strength x2-3
  • (Guardian of Order x1-3)
  • (Debris Dragon)
  • (Trade - In x2-3)
  • Magical Mallet / Reload x1-3
  • Short Circuit x3
  • Photon Lead x1-2
  • Inferno Reckless Summon x1-2
  • Hand Destruction x2-3
  • Pot of Duality x2-3
  • Threatning Roar x2-3
  • Portable Battery Pack x1-2

PERFECT PLAYS AND COMBINATIONS

To show what the deck can do.

Hand: Photon Veil, Batteryman D, Batteryman Charger, Inferno Reckless Summon, Short Circuit, Giant Trunade
  • Activate Trunade (if you go seconds)
  • Photon Veil to Special Summon D
  • Sacrifice to summon Charger. Effect to bring AA.
  • Activate Inferno (if your oppoent has a face-up monster, don't forget that!)
  • Summon 3 AA
  • Activate Short Circuit
  • WIN!

Hand: Micro-Cell, Threatning Roar, Inferno, (Short Circuit)
Protect Micro-Cell with Roar, next turn summon AA and Inferno them.

Hand: Micro-Cell, Charger, (Fuel-Cell), (Short Circuit)
Protect Micro-Cell, summon AA or D with it, sacrifice Micro to summon Charger and bring another AA. Summon Fuel Cell and activate Short Circuit if you have them.

Hand: Micro-Cell, 2 Industrial Strength, Trade-In, Charger, (Fuel-Cell), (Short Circuit)
Send 1 Industrial Strength to the grave using Trade-In. Protect Micro-Cell, summon D or AA with it, sacrifice Micro to summon Charger and bring Fuel Cell. Summon Industrial Strength and Fuel Cell from your hand. Activate Short Circuit if you have.

PROS AND CONS

PROS:
  • Short Circuit is you best ally. Its mass-destruction effect is completly devastating
  • They attack quickly, your opponent may not be able to counter you at all.
  • Your opponent will not expect this deck, so you have the surprise advantage.

CONS:
  • Cards that banish - any card that sends monsters to the banished zone (or whatever its name is now) is killing these guys.
  • Allys of Justice - Castator is a danger, but with Short Circuit, that won't be a problem.
  • The deck itself - It is true, they lack support. A draw card, more monsters, etc. They can resist and with the new Light support, they may just hold stronger, but they continue to be a weak archetype. The fact is: they were created to a older, slower format. They cannot stand these quick duels, because of their lack of support.

And that's it!. If there are any questions about the archetype, other cards and ideas, say below.

Last edited by TyagoHexagon on 2011-09-11, 11:33; edited 14 times in total
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Birthday : 1996-05-03

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype Empty Re: Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype

Post  joshjones 2011-07-14, 07:41

in my batteryman i run quickdraw syncron him and AA = chevlair de fleur a little less broken shi en and with the level ones you can sync into drill warrior and get back monsters you need ofc ;p
joshjones
joshjones

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype Empty Re: Forgotten Archetypes: Batteryman, a Battery-powered Archetype

Post  Chiaki 2011-07-14, 10:40

Industrial Strength + Trade-In = Nice

Some cards that return cards from the grave to the hand would be neat with such a combo... or something like Magical Merchant + Avarice for a draw engine. Or with Beckoning Light.

Just my random, uninformed Batteryman thoughts.
Chiaki
Chiaki

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-14, 12:58

Chiaki wrote:Industrial Strength + Trade-In = Nice

Some cards that return cards from the grave to the hand would be neat with such a combo... or something like Magical Merchant + Avarice for a draw engine. Or with Beckoning Light.

Just my random, uninformed Batteryman thoughts.

Industrial Strength, Guardian of Order and Trade-In work well, but you usually get more of those monsters than the Trade-In, so it isn't very effective. That's the main probleam of this archetype: no draw cards (except Micro-Cell)If Guardian of Order was Thunder, you could always remove him to power-up Industrial Strength. I.S. can remove another copy of itself and that is useful sometimes.

Avarice is useless (no offense, but it is true) alone, because any Batteryman that goes to the grave is better banished / removed from play or back to the field with Monster Reborn or Battery Charger.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  Ceteruler2 2011-07-14, 15:44

I've...I've seen the LIGHT!

Anyway (lol), great guide! I would sub if I could. I've never considered Batterymen to be anything special, but this shows me that I've been underestimating them all along...

Keep up the good work! I'd love to see another guide!
Ceteruler2
Ceteruler2

Birthday : 1994-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-15, 05:10

Ceteruler2 wrote:I've...I've seen the LIGHT!

Anyway (lol), great guide! I would sub if I could. I've never considered Batterymen to be anything special, but this shows me that I've been underestimating them all along...

Keep up the good work! I'd love to see another guide!

Thanks a lot, I just felt like doing this, to show this archetype to others. I may do another about other archetypes I know.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  thmaninblack 2011-07-16, 18:25

Just saying, this guide is missing some important stuff. Batteryman AAA is actually very good for exceeds, being the equivalent of a debris for it. Debris Dragon should also be mained for exceeds and synchros and for helping the swarm.

And I've played the inferno aa otk ever since I started ygo and it is actually quite incredibly easy to stop. From my experience short circuit + portable battery pack for damaging, but not nessesarily game ending pushes, are the way to go.

Source: the pojo battery thread and my personal experience.
thmaninblack
thmaninblack

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-17, 05:31

[quote="thmaninblack"]Just saying, this guide is missing some important stuff.[quote]
In the beginning I wrote that I could improve this guide. I doing just that.

thmaninblack wrote:Batteryman AAA is actually very good for exceeds, being the equivalent of a debris for it.
The probability of having a AAA in your hand and another in your grave/hand is very tiny (unless you use Foolish Burial). He is a weak monster (0 ATK and DEF), so if you don't have another in your hand / Grave, it is a dead draw. I honestly going to say that I haven't tried using it with Xyz monsters (waiting for their DN apperance), but unless a Batteryman Xyz monster is made, I don't see myself using this card.
Check any Batteryman builds on YouTube. None uses AAA (I know they were made before the Xyz). And I specificaly wrote that its possible that AAA have some use using Xyz, didn't I? I just haven't tested it yet.

thmaninblack wrote:Debris Dragon should also be mained for exceeds and synchros and for helping the swarm.
Batteryman need to use Batteryman. Using any other monster in the deck (even Thunders) ruin the flow of the deck. Batteryman are made to swarm the field by themselves. Ok, imagine you use Debris to bring AA, D or AAA. You Synchro to summon Stardust (using AAA). During this, you can't summon a Fuel Cell in your hand, nor activate Short Circuit nor activate a face-down Portable Battery Pack, you can't summon Industrial Strength, etc (If you don't have any other monsters in the grave / field). I just can't see the advantages of using it.

thmaninblack wrote:And I've played the inferno aa otk ever since I started ygo and it is actually quite incredibly easy to stop. From my experience short circuit + portable battery pack for damaging, but not nessesarily game ending pushes, are the way to go.
I don't use AA OTK either. Its just very difficult to sustain itself. And the deck can run well without using Short Circuit during the duel.

TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  thmaninblack 2011-07-17, 09:00

Not sure what type of batteries you ran, but my version was a junk and debris one, aka it used ryko, debris, and in some versions junk synchron. Only noobs run aaa without a somewhat reliable way to get it into the grave. Sure the likelihood might be a bit low. Thats why you use ryko and card trooper to mill like crazy for it. Recycling batteries and the other spell act help get the batteries that you want that were milled.

The probability of having a AAA in your hand and another in your grave/hand is very tiny (unless you use Foolish Burial). He is a weak monster (0 ATK and DEF), so if you don't have another in your hand / Grave, it is a dead draw. I honestly going to say that I haven't tried using it with Xyz monsters (waiting for their DN apperance), but unless a Batteryman Xyz monster is made, I don't see myself using this card.

Batteryman need to use Batteryman. Using any other monster in the deck (even Thunders) ruin the flow of the deck. Batteryman are made to swarm the field by themselves. Ok, imagine you use Debris to bring AA, D or AAA. You Synchro to summon Stardust (using AAA). During this, you can't summon a Fuel Cell in your hand, nor activate Short Circuit nor activate a face-down Portable Battery Pack, you can't summon Industrial Strength, etc (If you don't have any other monsters in the grave / field). I just can't see the advantages of using it.
Multiple, multiple things wrong here.
1. You can't sync with debris with a level 4.
2. Batterymen are weak with the exception of industrial strength, which dead draws hard in early game. That's why we run outside support to help the deck.
3. Did stardust have some sort of pot of duality like clause? What do you mean that I can't use portable battery pack? If anything debris helps by putting another batteryman for short circuits activation condition.
4. Seriously, you want a batteryman specific xyz? Do you know why generic synchros are used the most? Because they are accessible. Viable generic exceeds for batterymen, off the top of my head, are steelswarm roach, gem-knight pearl, and utopia. Batterymen's main issue is pure brute attack power, and exceeds provide that.
thmaninblack
thmaninblack

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-17, 11:31

thmaninblack wrote:Not sure what type of batteries you ran, but my version was a junk and debris one, aka it used ryko, debris, and in some versions junk synchron. Only noobs run aaa without a somewhat reliable way to get it into the grave. Sure the likelihood might be a bit low. Thats why you use ryko and card trooper to mill like crazy for it. Recycling batteries and the other spell act help get the batteries that you want that were milled.
I don't like auto-mill effects, so I don't use them. Show me some plays with the card you suggested and I will place them in the guide (as I said, this guide is also for me to learn how to play with them better).

Multiple, multiple things wrong here.
1. You can't sync with debris with a level 4.
2. Batterymen are weak with the exception of industrial strength, which dead draws hard in early game. That's why we run outside support to help the deck.
3. Did stardust have some sort of pot of duality like clause? What do you mean that I can't use portable battery pack? If anything debris helps by putting another batteryman for short circuits activation condition.
4. Seriously, you want a batteryman specific xyz? Do you know why generic synchros are used the most? Because they are accessible. Viable generic exceeds for batterymen, off the top of my head, are steelswarm roach, gem-knight pearl, and utopia. Batterymen's main issue is pure brute attack power, and exceeds provide that.
1. That was a mistake...But if Debris cannot use AAA to sync, why use AAA at all? I am not saying that AAA hasn't potencial, but must have the right support. Batteryman now don't give it that support (e.g. sending cards to the Grave from the Deck / Hand).
2. Batteryman aren't weak. Industrial Strength is a dead draw most of the times, that's why I use 2 or 3 if I run Trade-In + Guardian of Order.
3. I wrote that because Debris isn't a Batteryman, so Portable can't bring it. To summon Debris I must use my Normal Summon and that is usually needed to summon Charger and with it I can summon 2 Batteryman.
4. Yes I do. For the same reasons that I said before, Batteryman work very well with each other (my idea for them is in the link in my sig). And the problem of Batteryman isn't the ATK power, is getting them to the field. Charger has 3300 with 5 Thunders on the field, Fuel Cell has 2100 and 3 AA have 3000. They don't appear to be weak to me.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  thmaninblack 2011-07-17, 23:23

Yes I do. For the same reasons that I said before, Batteryman work very well with each other (my idea for them is in the link in my sig). And the problem of Batteryman isn't the ATK power, is getting them to the field. Charger has 3300 with 5 Thunders on the field, Fuel Cell has 2100 and 3 AA have 3000. They don't appear to be weak to me.
All your assumptions are based on the fact that you will be able to maintain field presence. Batterymen, with the exception of industiral strength, are only strong when they are able to swarm. Gladiator beasts have field days against lonely batteries. If you can't swarm, all you will be able to do is set monster after monster while they kill you. The situations you have listed above depending on you not getting interrupted. Seriously, what good opponent will let you get 5 batteries on the field without a fight?

That was a mistake...But if Debris cannot use AAA to sync, why use AAA at all? I am not saying that AAA hasn't potencial, but must have the right support. Batteryman now don't give it that support (e.g. sending cards to the Grave from the Deck / Hand).
Debris + aa = black rose
Debris + aa + micro cell (yes, i know its situaltional) = stardust
Debris + aaa = gem-knight pearl, utopia, steelswarm roach
Debris + batteryman = another batteryman for short circuit or fuel cell special summon

These are my reasons to run debris
thmaninblack
thmaninblack

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-18, 06:37

[quote]
thmaninblack wrote:
Yes I do. For the same reasons that I said before, Batteryman work very well with each other (my idea for them is in the link in my sig). And the problem of Batteryman isn't the ATK power, is getting them to the field. Charger has 3300 with 5 Thunders on the field, Fuel Cell has 2100 and 3 AA have 3000. They don't appear to be weak to me.
All your assumptions are based on the fact that you will be able to maintain field presence. Batterymen, with the exception of industiral strength, are only strong when they are able to swarm. Gladiator beasts have field days against lonely batteries. If you can't swarm, all you will be able to do is set monster after monster while they kill you. The situations you have listed above depending on you not getting interrupted. Seriously, what good opponent will let you get 5 batteries on the field without a fight?

A few examples:
  • Micro-Cell + Threatning Roar (in the beginning of the game): This actually works very well. Most people tend to MST my Roar and get it in the face. This combo always gives you a way to use short circuit:
    *A monster to sacrifice for Charger (if your opponent doesn't have Warning). That gives you 3 Batteryman.
    *A way to summon Fuel Cell
  • Battery Charger allows you to summon them from the grave, to sacrifice to Charger, etc.
  • Portable Battery Pack gives you 2 monsters, that allows you to summon fuel cell then activate short circuit.
  • Industrial Strength in the mid-game is pretty useful to.

They can easily swarm, the problem is "starting" the engine. I use the first way to to it. Debris may be used to summon 1 from the grave, but that doesn't allow them to swarm (they need at least 2 monsters on the field, to summon fuel cell, for example.)

That was a mistake...But if Debris cannot use AAA to sync, why use AAA at all? I am not saying that AAA hasn't potencial, but must have the right support. Batteryman now don't give it that support (e.g. sending cards to the Grave from the Deck / Hand).
Debris + aa = black rose
Debris + aa + micro cell (yes, i know its situaltional) = stardust
Debris + aaa = gem-knight pearl, utopia, steelswarm roach
Debris + batteryman = another batteryman for short circuit or fuel cell special summon

These are my reasons to run debris
Ok, that may be used, but as I said, running Debris could break the flow of the deck. When we get the Xyz, I will try it. I will re-write the guide to add this. Anyway, a Batteryman-specific Xyz is a good idea, a powerful card(s) to allow them to swarm even better.
I just don't understand your last reason, it is too vague.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-07-25, 17:33

Updated with new info and structure.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-08-31, 11:36

Now this article recieved a new name to be part of the series "Forgotten Archetypes" and also recieve a companion: Check the article about Aliens!
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-09-01, 08:40

New structure matching the Aliens'.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix 2011-09-01, 09:09

i never liked batterymen, i dont know why but it just wasnt to my personal liking
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2011-09-01, 13:47

Phoenix wrote:i never liked batterymen, i dont know why but it just wasnt to my personal liking

I always liked Batterymem. I liked how they played. Only problem with the deck is running it pure does not work. You have to run it with cards that are not Batteries. They have better cards than Aliens in my opinion.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  stardust breaker 2011-09-11, 14:53

thanks a lot Very Happy

stardust breaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down