Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world

+11
KaousFaustXIII
Hacker
stardust breaker
tester12342
LewieGee
DarkRiku
Phoenix
Red_Chaos
inderp
MadnessLord
TyagoHexagon
15 posters

Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world Empty Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-08-31, 11:28

Following my article about Batteryman, I decided to make a second article and make it a series, about Forgotten Archetypes that aren't that competitive now, but that can be with a little PUSH of more support.
This time, my article is about something right out of science fiction:

Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world Aliens

Aliens! Not the kind of monsters you were expecting, hum?

ORIGINS AND COMMON ELEMENTS
Alien are based on aliens, those aliens from the science fiction books, those who (possibly) fly above our heads in UFO's.
Aliens are all Reptile-type, and their members are of all Attributes.

PLAY STYLE
"Alien decks focus heavily on exploiting "A-Counters", which weaken opposing monsters battling against "Aliens" and permit "Alien" users to activate a variety of specific theft, revival, and destruction effects."
This discription is from the Wikia and it says it all. Alien monsters and support generate A-Counters, which are used to control and destroy your opponent's monsters or summon your own monsters.

Alien support have 2 very specific objectives: generate counters and take control of your opponent's monsters. Yes, just like Mind Control, Enemy Control and things like that.

Most Alien monsters also have a specific text on them, which I will call the "Alien Power" in the guide: (If a monster with an A-Counter battles an "Alien" monster, it loses 300 ATK and DEF for each A-Counter during damage calculation only.), which is very handy to make strong monster fall victim to the mostly weak Aliens. But attention, this effect affects every battle, so the amount of ATK your opponent's monsters lose is the number of monsters with ability X the number of counters on monster X 300. Which can be a really big lost to the monster.

SETS
Alien have been around since the GX era, but new support has arise in the Synchro era:

• Power of the Duelist - 10 cards
  • Cyberdark Impact - 3 cards
  • Strike of Neos - 2 cards
  • Force of the Breaker - 3 cards
  • Tactical Evolution - 1 card
  • Gladiator's Assault - 6 cards
  • Light of Destruction - 1 card
  • Crimsom Crisis - 7 cards
  • Raging Battle - 1 card
  • Absolute Powerforce - 1 card

THE CARDS OF THE ARCHETYPE

Monsters --- 19
Spoiler:

Spells --- 7
Spoiler:

Traps --- 9
Spoiler:

OTHER CARDS TO USE
You now know this guys, so here are more support for them.
As Aliens are Reptiles, many of their support can be used:

Spoiler:

STRATEGIES

Control your opponent's monsters
This strategy focus on control your opponent's monsters and turn them agianst their master. I never tried it actually.

Beatdown Aliens
This focus on getting Gol'gar on the field and control the field using A-Counters, etc.
EXAMPLE LIST (this is my deck):

• Alien Ammonite x3
  • Alien Dog x2
  • Alien Grey x2
  • Alien Kid x 1
  • Alien Overlord x 2
  • Alien Telepath x2
  • Alien Warrior x 3
  • Lion Alligator x1
  • Oshaleon x 2
  • "A" Cell Incubator x1
  • "A" Cell Scatter Burst x2
  • Code A Ancient Ruins x3
  • Dark Hole
  • Monster Reborn
  • Mysterious Triangle x 2
  • Solidarity x 2
  • Swords
  • Viper's Rebirth x 1
  • Alien Brain x 1
  • Bottomless Trap Hole / Solemn Warning x 1
  • Mirror Force
  • Offerings to the Snake Deity x 2
  • Planet Pollutant Virus x1
  • Solemn Judgement
    Cosmic Fortress Gol'gar and Generic Synchros

PERFECT PLAYS AND COMBINATIONS

[In contruction]

PROS AND CONS

PROS:

• You can easily control the field using the destruction abilitys of the Aliens.
  • Gol'gar is an extremely powerful monster and easy to summon.
  • Completly ruins any stall deck with Gol'gar.
  • Your opponent will not expect this deck at all.

CONS:

• Interestingly, the few A-Counters they generate (yes, few) aren't usually used to destroy cards your opponent controls, except with Gol'gar.
  • Lack of better monsters - We need more Level 4's with best effects.
  • You can't put counters on face-down monsters...
  • Gravekeeper's, Gozen Match and Book of Moon kill this deck.
  • Although they have TONS of support, most of it is useless. Missing a decent draw card and a decent searcher.

That's it for our little green mans. Try them and tell what you thought. I personaly like them, but their strategy isn't the best to compete with the top decks around.
Anyway, thanks for reading!

Last edited by TyagoHexagon on 2011-09-01, 08:01; edited 2 times in total
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Birthday : 1996-05-03

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world Empty Re: Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world

Post  MadnessLord 2011-08-31, 21:39

Agreed whit u, i think if they had a little more support they could be better, they are good, but not enough, yet.
Its even more funny if u look closely to a swarm combo u can perfrom whit aliens, u can figure out that they are less-powerful mars/venus/neptune/sun(?)counterparts of six sams.

-Summon Kageki, special kamegusha, then s. summon kiza and grandmaster, then tune for shi en.
-Alien version: Summon Ammonite(kageki),s.summon lv4 from grave(kamegusha), s.summon dog(kizan)and remove 2 a-counters for overlord (grandmaster), tune for gol'gar (Shi en)
MadnessLord
MadnessLord

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world Empty Re: Forgotten Archetypes: Alien, an Archetype from another world

Post  inderp 2011-08-31, 21:44

I really like Aliens, they are a really fun archetype. I tried playing them on DN but my opponents would get really confused and just leave. once the counter system is introduced then it will be much easier. Once you get you're gol'gar on the field it's really annoying to stop. Plus reptiles get their own icarus attack which works so well with aliens. They have many support cards but I think they're a bit too situational.
inderp
inderp

Birthday : 1995-04-04

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red_Chaos 2011-08-31, 22:35

good article hope to see more in the future
Red_Chaos
Red_Chaos

Birthday : 1990-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-09-01, 07:43

Red_Chaos wrote:good article hope to see more in the future
When I find a new archetype to talk about I will

Updated with new structure, more text and correcting mistakes.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoenix 2011-09-01, 07:49

I think i remember one guy i dueled using aliens...its very very very rare
Phoenix
Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRiku 2011-09-01, 13:33

Nice article. Aliens are just a fun deck for now. They can pull off some neat plays but the deck is just hurt by having so much useless support cards.
DarkRiku
DarkRiku
Keyblade Wielder
Keyblade Wielder

Birthday : 1984-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LewieGee 2011-09-01, 14:48

Love this archetype.
Aliens relying /too/ much on the A-Counters tend to be a bit... I dunno. Underwhelming. Most fun variant for me at the minute is the Gemini Alien version, with optional HERO support. Fun deck is fun...
LewieGee
LewieGee

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-09-02, 07:21

DarkRiku wrote:Nice article. Aliens are just a fun deck for now. They can pull off some neat plays but the deck is just hurt by having so much useless support cards.
At least they have support. Batteryman don't really (at they have is good actually).
These archetypes could be potencial candidates for a Structure deck, because they have the fundations to be competitive, just like Dark Worlds, Agents or Dragunitys. No one would play with them without the new support.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  LewieGee 2011-09-02, 14:49

TyagoHexagon wrote: No one would play with them without the new support.

Lies and slander
LewieGee
LewieGee

Back to top Go down

Post  tester12342 2011-09-09, 22:49

Are you sure you want to add W Nebula as a support card? It might give you some draw power but it also flips the opponents monsters which means you just lost counters.

tester12342

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-09-10, 04:32

tester12342 wrote:Are you sure you want to add W Nebula as a support card? It might give you some draw power but it also flips the opponents monsters which means you just lost counters.

No it doesn't. Read the effect well.
First, all face-down monsters on the field are flipped face-up. Then, all YOUR face-up LIGHT Reptiles are flipped face-down DURING THE END PHASE. Then you draw 1 card for each of those monsters. Then you can Special Summon a Level 7 or higher monster from your Deck.

That means that it is like a 1 turn Light of Intervention, it allows your to put couters on previous face-down monsters, then it allows you to draw at the End Phase and you can still Special Summon a monster if your want to.
If DN had counters, I would run this card for sure in a Alien Deck.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  tester12342 2011-09-10, 05:23

TyagoHexagon wrote:[

No it doesn't. Read the effect well.
First, all face-down monsters on the field are flipped face-up. Then, all YOUR face-up LIGHT Reptiles are flipped face-down DURING THE END PHASE. Then you draw 1 card for each of those monsters. Then you can Special Summon a Level 7 or higher monster from your Deck.

That means that it is like a 1 turn Light of Intervention, it allows your to put couters on previous face-down monsters, then it allows you to draw at the End Phase and you can still Special Summon a monster if your want to.
If DN had counters, I would run this card for sure in a Alien Deck.
Ok my bad. Misread the effect there, but flipping your monsters face down isn't really a good thing either.

Sure you can use Grey's draw but Cosmic Horror has only 2000 defense and Cosmic Fortress has 1800 both of which are easily run over by anything just as strong or stronger than a Cyber Dragon.

Although you can bring out Cosmic Horror with it, as you said in the article, Cosmic Horror isn't all that great compared to Cosmic Fortress.

Edit:
Also there's a lot of nice combos you can do with Crop Circles.
- After attacking with Overlord trade it with another Overlord or Mother.
- If you didn't normal summon. you can trade a level 4 Alien with Alien Hypno, Gemini summon it in the same turn then take control of a a bunch of monsters with counters on it. If the monsters survive the end phase then you can use them again in the next turn, if not then they blow up instead of returning to your opponent like Enemy Controller.

tester12342

Back to top Go down

Post  stardust breaker 2011-09-11, 14:44

thanks a lot Very Happy

stardust breaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hacker 2011-09-11, 16:50

TyagoHexagon wrote:

Amazons bounce
Hacker
Hacker

Birthday : 1996-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-09-11, 17:06

Hacker wrote:
TyagoHexagon wrote:

Amazons bounce
In my plans actually, but I already have another archetype in testing stage. Expect a new article soon.
But before that I will try the control-oriented Aliens and update this article with my findings.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-09-20, 10:06

PROS:

• You can easily control the field using the destruction abilitys of the Aliens. if your opponent doesn't know alien play style, yes you can easily do that
  • Gol'gar is an extremely powerful monster and easy to summon.true that, gol'gar is key for executing a wide variety of combos of the gol'gar control (ex. infinite effect veiler, infinite stall, infinite revival)
  • Completly ruins any stall deck with Gol'gar.obvious
  • Your opponent will not expect this deck at all.true. because keeping up with counters on DN is such a drag

CONS:

• Interestingly, the few A-Counters they generate (yes, few) aren't usually used to destroy cards your opponent controls, except with Gol'gar.im not sure what this is doing in cons
  • Lack of better monsters - We need more Level 4's with best effects.true this, but you can work with the currently available ones
  • You can't put counters on face-down monsters...face-down monsters aren't a threat against gol'gar
  • Gravekeeper's, Gozen Match and Book of Moon kill this deck.GKs (or rather Necrovalley) kills a lot of decks, but with enough backrow hate (and if you can get Gol'gar out first) there shouldn't be a problem. Same with Gozen Match. Book of Moon is limited so its not a problem
  • Although they have TONS of support, most of it is useless. Missing a decent draw card and a decent searcher. that's their only true weakness

Criticism ON

I'm sorry but I am rather disappointed by this article. You REALLY need to try out Gol'gar Control (the only competitive alien build) first before assessing the pros and cons of this deck. Hope to see a better one '')/
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyrillus 2011-09-20, 16:35

Ah, I remember the Alien deck. It's a very fun deck for the player to use, but very frustrating for the opponent to comprehend. At least that was my experience with the archetype.
Cyrillus
Cyrillus

Birthday : 1995-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  YeahVeryeah 2011-10-10, 23:00

Pretty much ^.

Counter counting and explaining your moves (especially looping Gol'Gar and Ancient Ruins) can slow moves to a crawl.

The problem I see is that cards like dog and telepath can only add/remove counters on/from face up enemy monsters. Dog is pretty important in swarming, and being able to sit the counters on one of your aliens would be helpful.
YeahVeryeah
YeahVeryeah

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-10-27, 12:22

i wish aliens had their own stratos

we can only hope aliens get their own episode in the anime so theyll get new support
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyr 2011-10-27, 13:24

Doubt Aliens will ever get to make an appearance in the anime, but with Konami "revisiting" old archetypes i hope this is one of the archetypes they are revisiting. Aliens are a fun deck to use but with little draw power (all they have is Grey =/) and being reptiles doesn't help them in the least due to the limited support reptiles have (since Konami hates everything that's not Dragon/Spellcaster/Fiend/Warrior... Machines/Winged-Beast/Beast are notable just because Konami seems to be neutral to them). Just look at the poor insects they are finally getting some love after being pushed aside like dirty underwear for who knows how long. Beast-Warriors is another one that's pretty much being abandoned by Konami. C'mon Konami stop making support for the same type of cards and start giving proper attention to the others!
Zephyr
Zephyr

Back to top Go down

Post  TyagoHexagon 2011-10-28, 09:30

Zephyr wrote:Doubt Aliens will ever get to make an appearance in the anime, but with Konami "revisiting" old archetypes i hope this is one of the archetypes they are revisiting. Aliens are a fun deck to use but with little draw power (all they have is Grey =/) and being reptiles doesn't help them in the least due to the limited support reptiles have (since Konami hates everything that's not Dragon/Spellcaster/Fiend/Warrior... Machines/Winged-Beast/Beast are notable just because Konami seems to be neutral to them). Just look at the poor insects they are finally getting some love after being pushed aside like dirty underwear for who knows how long. Beast-Warriors is another one that's pretty much being abandoned by Konami. C'mon Konami stop making support for the same type of cards and start giving proper attention to the others!

Reptile actually have good support, like Offerings to the Snake Deity. Thunder, Beast-Warrior or Pyro are much worst.
TyagoHexagon
TyagoHexagon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down