Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Negating prior links in a chain.

5 posters

Go down

Solved Negating prior links in a chain.

Post  BeanMachine87 2011-09-14, 15:15

Hey, first post here, and it's something I haven't had any success trying to find an answer to. Basically, can you use cards and effects that negate on other cards and effects that were on the chain prior to the current link.

Say, for instance, Opponent has Stardust Dragon and Prime Material Dragon, and you have face-down Fiendish Chain and Mirror Force.

They declare attack
You activate Mirror Force
They use Prime Material's Effect to negate Mirror Force
You use Fiendish Chain to negate Prime Material's effect
Would they be able to use Stardust's effect to still negate Mirror Force?

Or, another situation, You have Starlight Road and Magic Jammer face-down, and Opponent has Dark Bribe face-down.

Opponent activates Heavy Storm
You activate Starlight Road
Opponent activates Dark Bribe
Could you use Magic Jammer to negate the Heavy Storm?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
BeanMachine87
BeanMachine87

Birthday : 1987-01-09

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Negating prior links in a chain.

Post  KaousFaustXIII 2011-09-14, 15:21

BeanMachine87 wrote:
They declare attack
You activate Mirror Force
They use Prime Material's Effect to negate Mirror Force
You use Fiendish Chain to negate Prime Material's effect
Would they be able to use Stardust's effect to still negate Mirror Force?
Stardust Dragon's effect must be activated in response to an effect that includes destroying a card. Since the card activated does NOT have an effect that includes destroying a card (Fiendish Chain) then you cannot activate Stardust Dragon's effect in response to it.

BeanMachine87 wrote:
Opponent activates Heavy Storm
You activate Starlight Road
Opponent activates Dark Bribe
Could you use Magic Jammer to negate the Heavy Storm?
same scenario. Magic Jammer must be activated in response to the activation of a Spell Card, since the last card to activate was not a Spell Card (Dark Bribe) then you cannot activate Magic Jammer in response to it.
KaousFaustXIII
KaousFaustXIII

Birthday : 1986-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Solid-Snake 2011-09-14, 16:16

Confirming Faust. Negating links must be successive: Link 3 can only be activated to negate Link 2 in such cases, not Link 1.

Solid-Snake

Back to top Go down

Solved Thanks

Post  BeanMachine87 2011-09-15, 07:44

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I was pretty sure that's how it goes, but I just wanted to make sure. The one with the Stardust Dragon and Prime Material actually happened between my friend and I, and I wanted to make sure I didn't cheat him lol. Thanks again.
BeanMachine87
BeanMachine87

Birthday : 1987-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  {EX} TheVoid 2011-09-15, 13:44

As said, chains can that negate can only occur right after the card you are chaining. This is why you have to, as said, negate Mirror Force with Stardust first in the first scenario to get him to negate. The reason being that each link in the chain, as said earlier, goes to become like this: CL 1 - Mirror Force, CL 2 - Prime Material Dragon, CL 3 - Fiendish Chain. You can only negate effects which occur in the previous link, so Stardust Dragon would need to negate Fiendish Chain, which it cannot.

However, that being said, you can cause cards in the chain to effect the beginning of the chain, such as you have Thunder King Rai-Oh. I have Garoth, Lightsworn Paladin. I attack your Rai-oh, ask if you have a response. You say no, I play Forbidden Chalice on your Rai-Oh in response to my attack. Since this chain is still in response to attack you can chain Mirror Force.

I know I answered with more information that you asked for, but chaining can get to be somewhat confusing, especially if you are a new player (not saying you are or arent, I dont know Very Happy).
{EX} TheVoid
{EX} TheVoid
Cuddlez's Biscuit
Cuddlez's Biscuit

Birthday : 1992-02-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Zero2Hero 2011-09-15, 17:20

This question has been solved.
Marked and Locked
Zero2Hero
Zero2Hero
Hidden Genius
Hidden Genius

Birthday : 1994-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down