Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A SEGOC-PRIORITY question

+4
T3RCX
nakata
ASOBITAI
az09
8 posters

Go down

Solved A SEGOC-PRIORITY question

Post  az09 2011-11-15, 22:54

So, here is the question:
In my side of the field there is one copy of "Manju of the Ten thousand Hands" and one copy of "Herald of Perfection"
In my hand I have one copy of "Master Hyperion" and one copy of "Honest"

In my opponent's side of the field there is one copy of "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts".
In his hand there is one copy of "Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts"

It is my turn.
I draw. One copy of "Smashing Ground" is added to my hand as a result.
As my Draw Phase ends I pass priority to my opponent. He opts not to activate a card or effect.
I enter my Standby Phase.
As my Standby Phase ends I pass priority to my opponent. He opts not to activate a card or effect.
I enter my Pain Phase 1.
As my Main Phase 1 ends I pass priority to my opponent. He opts not to activate a card or effect.
I enter my Battle Phase. I enter my Start Step. As my Start Step ends I pass priority to my opponent. He opts not to activate a card or effect.
I proceed to my Battle Step. I choose my "Manju of the ten thousand Hands" and declare an attack. I select my attack target to be "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts".
As my Battle Step ends I pass priority to my opponent. He opts not to activate a card or effect.
I enter my Damage Step. Battle Calculation occurs. (1400>1100 so his "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" is destroyed in battle.)

Having in mind:
The Simultaneous Effects Go On Chain state which dictates that:
When multiple Trigger or Trigger-like effects try to activate simultaneously they activate based on the following order:
-Turn Player's Mandatory Effects
-Non-Turn Player's Mandatory Effects
-Turn Player's Optional Effects
-Non-Turn Player's Optional Effects

Which of the following (best) follows the rules? (Select A, B, or C.)

A. - My opponent's "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" effect activates (Chain Link 1).
- In chain I activate my "Herald of Perfection" effect, to negate the effect that is Chain link 1. (Chain Link 2) Honest is discarded from my hand.
- My opponent's Optional Trigger Effect of "Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts" can't be activated in the same chain. This is due to the fact that the Chain Link 2 effect is of Spell Speed 2 and that "Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts" effect (itself being of Spell Speed 1) can't be activated as Chain Link 3 in a chain that has has as a Chain Link 2 an effect of Spell Speed 2.

The chain resolves as it normally would. My opponent's "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" effect is negated.

"Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts" effect would activate now but its condition is no longer fulfilled, since the "When a monster you control is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard" timing has passed.

B. - My opponent's "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" effect activates (Chain Link 1).
- In chain my opponent activates "Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts" effect. (Chain Link 2) I cannot chain my "Herald of Perfection" effect to "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" effect since my monster effect has missed its timing.
- In chain I activate my "Herald of Perfection" effect, to negate the effect that is Chain link 2. (Chain Link 3). Honest is discarded from my hand.

The chain resolves as it normally would. My opponent's "Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts" effect is negated. My opponent's "Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts" effect resolves. Two "Nordic Beast Tokens" are special summoned to my opponent's side of the field.

C. - Something else happens.

No matter what you select (A,B, or C), please justify your opinion.
If you select C then please explain what will happen according to the rules.

If a Moderator or a Konami Judge could answer this, I would be most grateful.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Key on 2011-12-01, 22:33; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : SEGOC state clarified, typo corrections made.)

az09

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: A SEGOC-PRIORITY question

Post  ASOBITAI 2011-11-15, 23:53

C.
You can chain Herald's effect to Tanngrisnir's summoning effect.
Your opponent can chain Tanngnjostr's summoning effect to Herald's effect.
You can chain Herald's effect to Tanngnjostr's summoning effect.

ASOBITAI

Back to top Go down

Post  nakata 2011-11-16, 00:03

I belive it is "B", with a diference...

The triggers effect actives at same time, and the player controls both monsters, so he can chose the order of the chain (Tanngnjostr and Tanngrisnir - chain link 1-2 or 2-1).
Than you can active HoP to negate the chain link 2 effect (that can be Tanngnjostr or Tanngrisnir effect, player choice). In the end you active honest as chain link 3.

This "C" response can't explain this rule:

Spell Speed 1
Spells (Normal, Equip, Continuous, Field, Ritual),
Effect Monster’s effects (Ignition, Trigger, and Flip)
This is the slowest of all Spell Speeds. These cards cannot be
activated in response to any other effects. Typically, these effects
cannot be Chain Link 2 or higher, unless multiple Spell Speed 1
effects are activated simultaneously
nakata
nakata

Back to top Go down

Post  T3RCX 2011-11-16, 01:25

My logic:

SEGOC applies for the two trigger effects first, before Herald does anything. Then Herald can respond to the highest chain link, which will be the optional effect. Herald cannot interrupt the chain by activating in response to the first chain link before the second one forms, as the trigger effects were simultaneously activated and must be ordered by SEGOC first.

And here is a Royal Oppression ruling that supports this logic:

Suppose that you discard "Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World" and "Sillva, Warlord of Dark World" simultaneously, and have their effects activate as Chain Links 1 and 2. If "Royal Oppression" is activated as Chain Link 3, then it will only negate the effect on Chain Link 2. It cannot negate the effect on Chain Link 1. Furthermore, you cannot interrupt the Chain by activating "Royal Oppression" in between Chain Link 1 and 2.
T3RCX
T3RCX

Birthday : 1988-04-16

http://www.riddleofsteel.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Magicknight94 2011-11-16, 04:22

ASOBITAI wrote:C.
You can chain Herald's effect to Tanngrisnir's summoning effect.
Your opponent can chain Tanngnjostr's summoning effect to Herald's effect.
You can chain Herald's effect to Tanngnjostr's summoning effect.

INCORRECT. You cannot chain Trigger Effect to Quick Effect.

nakata wrote:I belive it is "B", with a diference...

The triggers effect actives at same time, and the player controls both monsters, so he can chose the order of the chain (Tanngnjostr and Tanngrisnir - chain link 1-2 or 2-1).
Than you can active HoP to negate the chain link 2 effect (that can be Tanngnjostr or Tanngrisnir effect, player choice). In the end you active honest as chain link 3.

Tanngrisnir is Mandatory Trigger Effect, it will be chain link 1, Tanngnjostr is Optional Trigger Effect, it will be chain link 2, you cannot choose the order.

And Honest cannot be used at end of damage step. And if HoP must be chained to those effect as chain link 3, how Honest can be chain link 3?
Magicknight94
Magicknight94

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2011-11-16, 04:39

You read it wrong, he said he discard Honest to use Perfection's eff, not discard Honest for its own effect.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  nakata 2011-11-16, 10:28

nakata wrote:I belive it is "B", with a diference...

Tanngrisnir is Mandatory Trigger Effect, it will be chain link 1, Tanngnjostr is Optional Trigger Effect, it will be chain link 2, you cannot choose the order.

And Honest cannot be used at end of damage step. And if HoP must be chained to those effect as chain link 3, how Honest can be chain link 3?

true True... I didnt noticed its effect is conpulsory Smile

In any case. B
nakata
nakata

Back to top Go down

Post  az09 2011-11-16, 12:23

Guys I never said I activated Honest ... Please read more carefully !!!

az09

Back to top Go down

Post  storyteller 2011-11-16, 13:38

Nakata had it right, except for the honest.

It's B. When Tanngrisnir is sent to Grave, both his and Tanngnjostr's effects Trigger. By SEGOC, since both are optional triggers, the turn player can choose the order by which they activate. Then, you can activate HoP's effect to negate whichever effect your opponent chooses to be CL2.
storyteller
storyteller

Birthday : 1991-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Badass_Bunny 2011-11-16, 13:50

Yes it is a SEGOC, Tanngrisnir is Mandatory and will be Chain Link 1, Tanngnjost will be Chain Link 2 since it's optional. Herald will only be able to negate Tanngnjostr in this particular case.
Badass_Bunny
Badass_Bunny
Smexy Duelist
Smexy Duelist

Birthday : 1996-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post  storyteller 2011-11-16, 13:53

woops. Thought Tanngrisnir was optional. Badass Bunny is right.
storyteller
storyteller

Birthday : 1991-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down