Dueling Network Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about priority

+4
Key
dest
AsherpotterCOPY
raidou
8 posters

Go down

Solved question about priority

Post  raidou 2011-12-30, 13:31

does the turn player retains priority after an effect resolves ?(probably the answer its 'yes' but better to have it)
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: question about priority

Post  AsherpotterCOPY 2011-12-30, 14:55

After an effect resolves the turn player has Priority to respond with a Spell Speed 2 or higher effect, except if the effect resulted in the Summon of a monster, in which case the turn player could activate a Spell Speed 2 or higher effect or an Ignition effect (in the TCG).
AsherpotterCOPY
AsherpotterCOPY

Back to top Go down

Post  dest 2011-12-30, 16:07

there is no difference in those responses, Ignition priority is also after the resolution of an effect, just like after a summon.
dest
dest
Boneash
Boneash

Birthday : 1987-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2011-12-30, 16:13

i knew all but the speed

somebody said yesterday 'after hornet is equiped you retain prio activate it '

thats the reason i made the topic , i thought something was odd about prio for a speed 1 effect outside summons

thx
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Key 2011-12-30, 18:05

Depends what the effect is
If the effect resolves and it summons a monster, then turn-player has priority to activate Spell speed 2+ or ignition effect.

If anything else (Not a summon), then only spell speed 2+
Key
Key
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→
←↓Ruling Scrubbie↑→

Birthday : 1994-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2011-12-30, 19:09

The main thing mention is "after it resolves" if it resolves then what's the problem? if it resolves properly then the turn player still retains priority.

If you activate a card effect then you pass priority to the other player so he/she can respond, if they do not then 1 of 2 things, either the effect resolves or you can chain your own card.

If you chain your own card you then again pass priority and the process repeats with chain 3,4 and so on.

If it resolves then you have priority once again to activate a chain 1
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Birthday : 1986-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-05, 13:19

so whos right? key or gothic?
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-05, 17:46

It's easy.

When an effect, priority is so the turn player can have the oportunity to initiate a chain, in this case "Chain link 1"

If the chain resolves, then the chain is over and a Chain link 1 can be initiated once again when the turn player decides.

So with the mentioned above, Priority to start a chain, the turn players choice.

For example:
One for one is activated, Chain link 1.
After chain link 1 you do not have priority anymore, it is therefore transferred to your opponent (THis is to prevent the turn player from activating multiple chain links without the opponent being able to respond)

Let's suppose the opponent does not respond to the activation and the chain ends in CHain link 1

A monster is summoned to your side of the field, at this point your opponent can start a chain when the monster is summoned, but since the CHain resolved, you still have priority, so he/she cannot activate anything until you decide to start a chain in response to the summon or pass priority.
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2012-01-05, 20:12

You do know that what you said and what Key said contradict each other, eh Gothic Mess? And btw, I agree with Key.
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-05, 20:13

BlackwingRa wrote:You do know that what you said and what Key said contradict each other, eh Gothic
Mess? And btw, I agree with Key.
No, they pretty much said the same thing. The only difference is Key included ignition effects.

EDIT: He also did not mention how Spell Speed 2 effects can be used before the turn player can activate a Spell Speed 1 effect, but that's pretty much it.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-05, 20:16

BlackwingRa wrote:You do know that what you said and what Key said contradict each other, eh Gothic Mess? And btw, I agree with Key.
If you would point out the contradiction o.o

What I said was, and still is, "Priority is a players 'right' to be the head of a chain, in this case Chain link 1

That is all.
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackwingRa 2012-01-05, 20:17

So it's my mistake that misread it, no hard feelings ok?
BlackwingRa
BlackwingRa

Birthday : 1991-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-05, 20:26

Though for our new users, I must mention, a counter trap is another thing, if you would summon a monster, the opponent can activate a counter trap like Solemn something to negate it, and thus, placing the opponent as Chain link 1
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  raidou 2012-01-05, 20:32

Key wrote:Depends what the effect is
If the effect resolves and it summons a monster, then turn-player has priority to activate Spell speed 2+ or ignition effect.

If anything else (Not a summon), then only spell speed 2+

key: 'not a summon effects' prio to use speed 2 or higher effects
summmon and summon effects :speed 1 and higher

gothic says no matter if is summon or not summon after any effect resolves player has prio to use speed 1 or higher
raidou
raidou

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-05, 21:05

raidou wrote:i knew all but the speed

somebody said yesterday 'after hornet is equiped you retain prio activate it '

thats the reason i made the topic , i thought something was odd about prio for a speed 1 effect outside summons

thx

turn player does not retain priority to activate Hornet's effect.
/short answer.

They only retain priority to activate Spell speed 2+ effects. Then the opponent may respond to hornet being equiped.

As stated before, in the TCG, you may use ignition effects in response to a monster summon, in addition to SS2+ effects. But in no other instance do you retain priority to use Ignition-like effects. (IIRC, you can't even use the ignition like effect of a spell card in response to a monster summon)

When a card Resolves (as an example) you retain priority to activate SS2+ effects only. This means that if you have no SS2+ effect, you pass priority to the opponent who may respond to your card's resolution (such as a responding to a monster being destroyed, discarded, card is drawn, w/e).

However if a monster is summoned as a result of a card resolving, and that summon is the last thing to happan, then turn player retains priority to activate ignition effects of monsters.

Last edited by Joenen on 2012-01-05, 21:14; edited 1 time in total
Joenen
Joenen

Birthday : 1992-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-05, 21:08

Gothic mess wrote:
BlackwingRa wrote:You do know that what you said and what Key said contradict each other, eh Gothic Mess? And btw, I agree with Key.
If you would point out the contradiction o.o

What I said was, and still is, "Priority is a players 'right' to be the head of a chain, in this case Chain link 1

That is all.

*cough* Trigger *cough* effects *cough*

Provided the turn player doesn't control a trigger of their own.

Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-06, 14:16

Aside from the double posting, I fail to see your point in this last attempt. o.o
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-06, 15:33

Gothic mess wrote:Though for our new users, I must mention, a counter trap is another thing, if you would summon a monster, the opponent can activate a counter trap like Solemn something to negate it, and thus, placing the opponent as Chain link 1
No. That's not it at all. That's saying I can't use T-King Rai-Oh's effect because I don't have priority.

Solemns can be used before ignition effect priority because they negate the summon, not because they're counter traps.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-06, 15:38

I mention summon because this is the only whay that it could be applied. An action which does not start a chain aside from specific cards that would not normally be able to activate. Such as drop off, Drastic drop off.
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-06, 15:44

Gothic mess wrote:Aside from the double posting, I fail to see your point in this last attempt. o.o

Priority is something that simply is, its not a right. Triger effects for example will happan regardless of turn player and they will always be earliest on the chain link.

I'm not saying you are "wrong" because in a sense that is what priority can be taken as, its just its better not to make it sound like a person's "right". I feel like it only contributes to the players who Don't understand priority and get obnoxiously adamant about it. (This happans frequently on DN. All. The. Time.)

Also, all priority questions should be answered by reading the sticky. Its a mystery to me as to how this thread didn't get redirected.
Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-06, 15:54

Gothic mess wrote:I mention summon because this is the only whay that it could be applied. An action which does not start a chain aside from specific cards that would not normally be able to activate. Such as drop off, Drastic drop off.
What you said is wrong though. Counter Traps do not change Priority at all. Attempting to summon a monster is an action and priority is then passed to the opponent. They can then respond to the attempt to summon with a card that negates the summon. If they don't, the turn player can then respond if they so choose. If they choose not to, the summon is successful and turn player now has priority to respond to the successful summon of the monster.

Yes it matters. I've seen a guy Solemn his own Tour Guide so he could achieve game with Utopia Ray before.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gothic mess 2012-01-06, 15:57

Joenen wrote:
Gothic mess wrote:Aside from the double posting, I fail to see your point in this last attempt. o.o

Priority is something that simply is, its not a right. Triger effects for example will happan regardless of turn player and they will always be earliest on the chain link.

I'm not saying you are "wrong" because in a sense that is what priority can be taken as, its just its better not to make it sound like a person's "right". I feel like it only contributes to the players who Don't understand priority and get obnoxiously adamant about it. (This happans frequently on DN. All. The. Time.)

Also, all priority questions should be answered by reading the sticky. Its a mystery to me as to how this thread didn't get redirected.
Apparently the (") is not doing it's work.

See how you use ("wrong") as to not actually mean the word wrong but something simmilar? Now look at "right" . . . now think about it for a bit.
Gothic mess
Gothic mess

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-06, 16:01

Joenen wrote:

Trigger effects still follow priority.

Priority order for trigger effects:
Turn player mandatory trigger
Non-turn player mandatory trigger
Turn player optional trigger
Non-turn player optional trigger

Priority does not solely mean ignition effects.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Joenen 2012-01-06, 17:51

idk if thats priority per se as opposed to BKSS SEGOC. But close enough.

Joenen
Joenen

Back to top Go down

Post  Miror B. 2012-01-06, 23:07

Joenen wrote:idk if thats priority per se as opposed to BKSS SEGOC. But close enough.
SEGOC is when trigger effects go off at the same time. They still follow priority.
Miror B.
Miror B.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down